Blackthorne products AK Top cover with HK sight and rail

I can tell you that the one from Krebs and from DPH are made to replace the rear leaf sight and anchor at the rear tang. The on pictured is just a receiver cover and may tend not to hold zero with optics mounted to the picatinny rail, I don't think it would effect the HK sight as much (purely speculation on my part). Your also going to remove your rear AK sight with the one pictured and it might look a bit funky. I have one of the DPH mounts that I've swapped around on a few guns that don't have a side rail mount and I'd give it an average to above average rating FWIW.

No mater what you put on top of that it will nevr hold zero, I have look at and tried all sorts of rails that go on the top cover I have found out the hard way it just not work.
What he means is: the iron sights work decently on the dust covers, but the covers are too flimsy to support a red dot or other optic and keep a zero.

Also "Blackthorne" is another name for a very shoddy company that changes its name on a yearly basis so it can keep pushing crap on to the unknowing.

Caveat Emptor

No mater what you put on top of that it will nevr hold zero, I have look at and tried all sorts of rails that go on the top cover I have found out the hard way it just not work.
What he means is: the iron sights work decently on the dust covers, but the covers are too flimsy to support a red dot or other optic and keep a zero.

Also "Blackthorne" is another name for a very shoddy company that changes its name on a yearly basis so it can keep pushing crap on to the unknowing.

Caveat Emptor

Hope about experiences with the Krebs rail? It looks solid since it's bridging the cover and has a rear sight. Yes, I know, it's pricey...just curious what the reviews are.

1zgtflx.jpg

Hope about experiences with the Krebs rail? It looks solid since it's bridging the cover and has a rear sight. Yes, I know, it's pricey...just curious what the reviews are.
All things Krebs kick ass.

However, Scott at DPH is bringing out some rails any time now ( his first run went like hotcakes ) at a much more reasonable rate.

My eyes do better with the longer sight radius. I am faster and more precise.

The problem with even just iron sights mounted on the dustcover is that no matter how tight they are when you first set them up that eventually they get looser and then the sights move with each removal and re-installation.

The Valmet and the Norenco Hunter solve the problem with a little shelf at the rear of the receiver to help positively locate the dustcover. I have been puzzling on the best way to duplicate this shelf.

Any ideas?

However, Scott at DPH is bringing out some rails any time now ( his first run went like hotcakes ) at a much more reasonable rate.

Just ordered one. :smoke: Less than $80 shipped. As much as I like the Krebs and it's rear sight....80 bucks is an awesome price.

14ce90w.jpg

Just ordered one. :smoke: Less than $80 shipped. As much as I like the Krebs and it's rear sight....80 bucks is an awesome price.

14ce90w.jpg

Do you have any pics of it on a rifle?

I used one of their topcovers but soon figured that "cool" looking isn't practical :wub: I did swap it out for the type you have pictured in the original post. I needed the HK drum sights in the rear to compensate for elevation because the front HK sights welded to the gas black did not allow for it.

Here is one of the topcovers they used to have available (don't know if they make these anymore) and it is a solid unit. It's the thicker topcover and you cannot squeeze it together like a Romy or Bulgarian topcover.

galil2uf8.jpg

thanks,

Ron

post-6922-1217399273_thumb.jpg

The problem I had with the HK front sights is that I didn't have any way to adjust the elevation with AR15-style top cover. thanks, Ron

I thought that the AR sights used on the top cover were adjustable?

• 4 weeks later...

14ce90w.jpg

So can a rear sight be added to the rail?

• 7 months later...

14ce90w.jpg

So can a rear sight be added to the rail?

BTT

• 4 months later...
Hello all,

I'm curious how this unit compares to the Krebs and the Gilberts top rail. It looks low profile and would be good for an EoTech.

Anyone have one? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Hep

Anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

Looks like it might lock up tighter than a standard action cover sight...

I have one on my S-308 and absolutely love it. It locks up rock solid, returns to zero every time, and doesn't move an inch when locked. It also doesn't interfere with cleaning. I like the option of 2 apertures on the rear peep (mine stays set on the large ring) instead of just being forced into the smaller one (as most of the rails out there with one aperture do).

Yeah, it's expensive, but it's a rock solid investment for your rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the tech-sights on my 7.62x39 and love them (they did great at the range, but I haven't posted the report yet)! For $100, it was totally worth it compared to all the other options. NOTE: I do plan on using the old AKs rear-sight to mount a Larue Irondot or use a Samson rear-sight mount or something for a little red-dot).