found this in 2 G kits...

Sicktooth, Loose the parts and leeme lock and trash this thrad OK?

Those parts are not illegal to possess, as they don't work without other hardware.

Said hardware is not shipped in the USA.

These aren't AR15s where possesion of similar parts is illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
Parts is parts - EXCEPT when going 922r. What makes an AK or derivitave into a felony is when it has the third axis pin hole. 2 holes = legal, 3 holes = felony.

Not completely correct. If you read the law; having the parts CAN put you in trouble if you are thought to be able to adapt the gun to full auto. this is my understanding. So if you have papers showing conversion or are building your own receivers it could be a problem. just lose the parts to be on the safe side.

Not completely correct. If you read the law; having the parts CAN put you in trouble if you are thought to be able to adapt the gun to full auto. this is my understanding. So if you have papers showing conversion or are building your own receivers it could be a problem. just lose the parts to be on the safe side.

Ah, yes. 'INTENT'.

The problem with "INTENT" is that they consider it unlawful if you can convert to full auto any firearm within 8 hours.

That's pretty well doable by anyone - on most any semiautomatic firearm - who has any kind of handyman knowledge (they don't give a flip if you don't know the first thing about doing this - they might just think you INTEND on learning how).

If they're coming at you with an "INTENT" charge, you're so far down in the deep doo-doo, you probably won't notice it stacked on top . . .

So when you start waving "INTENT" around, we're all going to jail.

Edited by nalioth

I bought a Romy kit which had that part and a full auto disconnector which I discarded before going home so the BATFE won't try to accuse me of attempting to build a machine gun.

Before 1981 you could have full auto parts outside your rifle but the BATFE decided in 1981 that posession is intent to build a machine gun.

Get rid of the parts so they don't show up at your door in a pre dawn raid.

I bought a Romy kit which had that part and a full auto disconnector which I discarded before going home so the BATFE won't try to accuse me of attempting to build a machine gun.

Before 1981 you could have full auto parts outside your rifle but the BATFE decided in 1981 that posession is intent to build a machine gun.

Get rid of the parts so they don't show up at your door in a pre dawn raid.

You are thinking of the AR-15 series of rifles.

These parts are not usable on the Kalashnikov as they are.

If you make your Kalashnikov accept them, well, you've done stepped in the big doo-doo.

Parts is parts - EXCEPT when going 922r. What makes an AK or derivitave into a felony is when it has the third axis pin hole. 2 holes = legal, 3 holes = felony.

I bought a MAK-90 at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago, and in reading up on it, I discovered that there were a bunch of them imported with a "third hole" in the receiver, and people kept talking about how there would be two rivets above the mag release, and they'd be filed flat instead of looking like the regular rivets. I'm reading this, looking at my MAK, starting to shit bricks expecting the door to get knocked in by a team of BATFuck agents, and then I *FINALLY* found a picture with clearly marked arrows and descriptions - and realized my MAK is fine. It was brought in by the same importer - China Jing An - with the "C-J-A SFLD MI", which apparently most of the "bad" MAKs were sent to that same company, but mine is one of the good ones.

WHEW! Now I can breathe again.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Well I couldn't have "intent", because I think FA in an AK is a total waste of ammo and time. And it would be a bigger waste to do time!

Ah, but you forget you're dealing with BATF bureaucrats - to them, the mere possession translates as "intent". :(

Plus one GOB! Why bother? Just learn to bump it if you want to waste ammo.

I'm not one to keep stuff around that could raise an eyebrow if the man came to inspect. I keep all my conversions compliant...even plus a part or two to make damn sure.

But I can see nalioth's point, just those couple of parts are useless unless you have the rest of the parts to make it all work. I won't go into just what those are, but they are more than just a third hole and a pin.

they are original parts, sicktooth.

most demilled kits had them. glad to see you state that you are rid of them.

Noone will shine flashlights in your windows over it, but its still tempting fate. You are better off being rid of the little parts. You will never use them ANYhow. see above kwicko's response.

Question...what's the legality of selling these parts to get rid of 'em? Anyone can sell SA triggers and parts on Gunbroker, for example, but would a full auto sear and rate reducer require a license or an FFL transfer?

Question...what's the legality of selling these parts to get rid of 'em? Anyone can sell SA triggers and parts on Gunbroker, for example, but would a full auto sear and rate reducer require a license or an FFL transfer?

They're perfectly legal to sell or own by anybody.

The 'rate reducer' simply allows the bolt carrier to settle down by holding the hammer for a split second to prevent the hammer from hitting the tail of the carrier before it's in battery on a full auto AK. Basically it prevents a misfire. It's not even NEEDED. On a semi AK it does nothing.

The sear can't fit a semi AK even with a third hole. Other work must be done and other parts are needed just to make it flop around and I won't go further.

They're just parts/paperweights.

• 4 weeks later...
Any one realize the 'G' kits have a big 'G' (Garda) stamped on the rear sight block. And was a modified AK in semi only for the Romanian Patriotic Guards. There were no FA part in the kits.

All three of my Romy G kits had the parts.

Nalioth is quite right, under the present interpretation of the law the parts are not a problem. On the other hand the BATF is continually reversing and reinterpreting itself and I don't need them, so they are history.

Perhaps They were added by the supplier

Garda Versions-

The most-produced variation of this rifle is that of the 'Garda' designation, produced for the Romanian Patriotic Guards. These rifles have a letter 'G' engraved on the left side of the rear sight block. The civil guard versions are modified by the removal of the sear and the modification of the disconnector to be semi-automatic only. Tens of thousands of these have been imported into the United States and sold as 'parts kits' (the receiver is destroyed by torch-cutting per BATF regulations - without the receiver, the kit is no longer legally considered a firearm). They are colloquially known among firearms enthusiants as "Romy G's".

You are correct. The mere possession of full auto trigger group parts is ILLEGAL in WA state. That is why more then one on company will not ship certain parts kits to WA state. No one but cops or military may have full auto parts here. There are some exceptions for class 3 FFLs and manufacturers. Also people who owned full auto weapons before the law went into effect are grandfathered into it and allowed to possess.

don't quoteme on this, but I thought just having some of those parts here in WA State was also illegal and that Christine Gregoire would kill a kitten if you were caught with them.
  • 3 weeks later...

The rate reducer is neat, I havent' seen one of those. I used to have 30 kits here, Romy Gs and AMDs, all had full auto hardware, no rate reducer. Shame you got rid of it, I'd like to try it on a FA AK we have at work.

And yes, they're legal to own (Federally speaking). Some folks sell them on GB and people actually buy them. :lolol:

In reality, the part we call the Auto Sear is a safety sear, which is included with the Semi-Auto only Guarda rifles to prevent it from firing out of battery, it is a safety feature that is in both the semi auto and full auto AKs, its just that much more important to the full auto rifles. However, our govmnt decided it was a safety feature we did not need, and of note, they will not work with US made trigger parts. Ive always discarded these parts, though possession of them is not the same as possesion of other (say m16 parts) as they will not fit in the gun without a third hole being drilled (which is the creation of an illegal machine gun.) The inclusion of the rate reducer, or more properly called the hammer retarder, as all it does is slow hammer travel, is something i always wondered about, as im not sure what, if any purpose, it would serve in a semi auto rifle except to possibly reduce wear. Ive installed on in a legal semi, with a bit of work, and did not notice any difference in overall function, so i still wonder why the Romanians had it.

The inclusion of the rate reducer, or more properly called the hammer retarder, as all it does is slow hammer travel, is something i always wondered about, as im not sure what, if any purpose, it would serve in a semi auto rifle except to possibly reduce wear. Ive installed on in a legal semi, with a bit of work, and did not notice any difference in overall function, so i still wonder why the Romanians had it.

I've done the same and only noticed that it increases the weight of the trigger. In a semiauto these won't do anything to aid in f/a functioning (2+ rounds per single pull of the trigger).