what are you talking about!

:rolleyes: where can i get a book or online info about AK variants. like VEPR,WASR and MAADI or something like that. and what are the differance between the different country's guns. i used to keep up on surplus guns but the AK's have just cought my eye. and what are the best gun mag's that cover these guns Edited by backwater

I wouldn't rely on books for AK info, there are some parts in most book that are just nonsense. TheAKforum.net has a section for every country's AK's, i'd suggest you take a look around there for a general idea. Then if you're interrested you'll be researching for months and eventually it'll all make sense.

Anything you wanna know about Hungarian AK's, ask me. My source is as reliable as you can possibly find.

Edited by Agias
thanks for the info, why are the romainian ak's less desirable? what dose wasr and vepr stand for? thanks.

WASR rifles are made from rejected military parts. Ask Dstorm over at www.akfiles.com Dstorm's Uncle was a Romanian Cugir AKM gunsmith.

I went to Wikipedia and found lots of info on VEPR and WASR

If you want to put an Ultimak rail on your Wasr (just got rid of mine) you will need barrel shims because the Wasr barrel is thinner than regular AKs. The receiver is thinner as well if you have a Wasr and a Saiga both stripped down you'll be able to tell that the Saiga is much heavier.

thanks for the info, why are the romainian ak's less desirable? what dose wasr and vepr stand for? thanks.

The one that sticks in my mind is that WASR stands for "What A Shitty Rifle". :)

(It's only a joke, so if you have and love a WASR, please don't take offense.)

I have no basis to make that conclusion, but I read that somewhere and it stuck with me. It didn't stop me from seriously looking at a WASR a few weeks ago, until I found a nicer-condition Norinco MAK-90 for the same price. And I've read plenty of people who bought WASR rifles and have been very happy with them.

I tend to think of names like Vepr, Tigr, Dragunov, and the like as kind of "bastardized" or Russianized animal names - Viper, Tiger, Dragon. It helps that those are all animals with a hell of a bite. :) They're probably not right, but it's how they associate themselves in my mind...

Mike

Vepr is a big hairy fugly Russian boar. Dragunov was the name of the chap that designed the SVD.

Yeah, but who wants to think of their rifle as a big ugly boar?

And Dragunov might be the guy's name, but it's a very COOL name to have! :)

• 3 months later...
I wouldn't rely on books for AK info, there are some parts in most book that are just nonsense. TheAKforum.net has a section for every country's AK's, i'd suggest you take a look around there for a general idea. Then if you're interrested you'll be researching for months and eventually it'll all make sense.

Anything you wanna know about Hungarian AK's, ask me. My source is as reliable as you can possibly find.

Can you point me in a direction to buy an AMD 65 barrel????????