Saiga 7.62 iron sight options

I'd like to find the most effective sight upgrade for my stock SHTF saiga 7.62. My research has discovered peep sight, HK sights welded in place, etc. Can anyone give some adive and/or range report on the various options? Please include pics and links when possible.

Thanks

HC

I have 2 AKs with Mojo Click adjustable peep sights, my opinion:

Pros = A little more accurate than the stock sights, adds about an inch of sight radius, very rugged, easy to "fine tune" elevation for precise distance shots.

Cons = Expensive, slows threat response time down considerably by taking away to ability to index the threat in the front site guard and squeeze off a reasonably accurate shot without the need to line up the sights - for this reason, I will not use it on my SHTF rifles.

I also had one AK with the tritium night sight front post, and I hate it! The night sight front posts are too thick for rifle work. Mine completely covered a 12" target at 100 yds and proved useless in hitting The 100yd gong in broad daylight. These sights are for pistols my friend, dont waste your money.

When Tech-sight comes out with their AK peep sight system, I will definately give tht a try. Right now though, you would be best served practicing and becoming proficient with the stock sights and trying a good red-dot optic.

I also had one AK with the tritium night sight front post, and I hate it! The night sight front posts are too thick for rifle work. Mine completely covered a 12" target at 100 yds and proved useless in hitting The 100yd gong in broad daylight. These sights are for pistols my friend, dont waste your money.

The one you had wouldnt happen to be the XS Systems Tritium front sight would it?

I'd like to find the most effective sight upgrade for my stock SHTF saiga 7.62. My research has discovered peep sight, HK sights welded in place, etc. Can anyone give some adive and/or range report on the various options? Please include pics and links when possible.

Thanks

HC

When I first got my AK, I fooled around with peep sights for the Ak with little satifaction compared to the peep sights on my lever action rifles and my AR guns. In my opinion, the peep sights need to be close to the rear of the gun, and quite close to the eye to be most effective. The design of the Ak does not lead to this without extensive work on the receiver cover which has to be made stable but still able to be removed. You can buy peep sights on the receiver cover such as the following. linky-a or linky-b When one replaces the stock rear sight with an aftermarket peek sight, the rear peep sights are too far forward for the shooter to realize the benefits that peep sights can add to the gun. You have a large circle instead of the half/or opened square. One may as well keep the stock sights. That said, I think you can spend a "lot of money" on the various peek sights and get very little, if any, improvements in accuracy and faster target aquisation. The money is better spent on a Aimpoint red dot scope/or Aimpoint clones and the Ulitmak forward scope mount.(linky)

Edited by jbremount