Broken Firing Pin.

That's a good one, I don't remember seeing them anywhere.

I wonder if an AK one will work.

I bet I could make one, if you can't find one.

Gunfixr, if you take apart your bolt you'll see that the pin is actually two parts. One part the hammer strikes, the other part strikes the shell. I need 1 rear part and 2 forward parts. Shouldn't be much C&C work. give me an estimate man.

Thanks

I'm gonna ask Clyde tomorrow if he knows where I can get a spare. If not i'll have to get one made.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

Ok. It'll take a few days, I gotta pull it down and my material is at the gunshop. I'll be there later this week. Tomorrow I can get the estimate, as I gotta pull down two Saigas, an S20 and my S12.

I have yet to hear of a firing pin breakage on an S-12.....ever.

There is more to this story.

You were just shooting away with your S-12, and looky, the pin just broke.

I don't buy it.

Tony

Tony is a psychic. There IS more to the story. But I don't want death threat mail. ;)

I figured there was more to it as well, but am more concerned with the fix than the problem.

From some of the stories I have heard already, I know that when someone breaks something that won't break by itself, and it causes them grief, they usually don't repeat that mistake.

I figured there was more to it as well, but am more concerned with the fix than the problem.

From some of the stories I have heard already, I know that when someone breaks something that won't break by itself, and it causes them grief, they usually don't repeat that mistake.

Well, It wasn't anything I did wrong. It was something I did RIGHT that requires me to need a pin. ;)

Check your PM's Gunfixr!

Ok. It'll take a few days, I gotta pull it down and my material is at the gunshop. I'll be there later this week. Tomorrow I can get the estimate, as I gotta pull down two Saigas, an S20 and my S12.

Gunfixr,

If I can afford it I would also like a set, front and back, just incase. Let me know. Thanks, Scott aka. Tackelbarry

Ok... I realize that its probably an embarassing story which I guess is why you'd rather not share it but... the curiosity is killing me. How the hell did you manage to break a firing pin? :huh: Was it installed at the time? I'm dying to get the full story on this one.

My guess is he altered it somehow, or is considering altering it, in such a way that may be of questionable legality... so he at least knew better than to spell it out on our forum....hence the hate mail comment. I've seen him post about some pretty unorthdox shit, concerning tweeking FCG parts so there's no telling.

First I'd like to thank Cobra for questioning my actions as being somehow insidious :)

Second, the Story:

So on Thursday I purchased a CZ P01. Great little gun. But I needed a Holster for IPSC type matches. So on I went in search of a Holster. Nothing. Can't find one. So I do some research and find that Fobus HK-1 holsters will fit.... Great, who carries Fobus? So I look around at local distributors for Fobus and find one range down the way. So before I head over, I call up my friend and tell him about the gun I bought and that I'm looking for a holster. He informs me of a couple places to look that carry holsters although he doesn't know what brand. Great, I write all the info down and head off after work.

Tuesday, 6PM:

I arrive at the first location my friend told me about. It's a small place. Big LEO seller. SO I go in, they have holsters. Fobus, Blackhawk, etc. Just what I'm looking for.... Except no HK1.... BUT WAIT! There's an HK holster! YAY!.... it fits!.... it's... left handed... NOOO. Disappointed, I walk to the counter and tell em I can't find one... The guy asks me why I bought a new 9mm... Told him "Ammo costs"... We started shooting the shit about ammo, conversation went like this:

Me: "Yah, shooting lots of .45 every week is killing my wallet"

him: "Yah, it's crazy, especially rifle ammo."

me: "yep, my .308 eats ammo, and that stuff is expensive, well except for the steel-cased stuff"

him: "Yah but steel is bad for the gun"

me: "Mine can shoot it just fine"

him: "You have a saiga?"

Well at this, my ears perk up...

me: "yes, I have a .308 v21 w/ thumbhole stock and I love it!"

him: "Oh yah, i hear they're not bad"

me: "Not bad? With good ammo I can shoot 2" or less all day."

him: "Wow, not bad for a semi-auto... especially an AK"

me: "Yep, I love all my saigas... 7.62x39, .308, and my 12ga"

him: "you got the 12?"

me: "yah, i love it"

him: "hows the recoil"

me: "very light."

him: "well we just got 2 saigas in with broken firing pins"

me: "oh yah? well AK pins are interchangeable, what kind is it? .223? 7.62x39?"

him: "12 guages"

my jaw drops...

me: "what?"

him: "yah, 2 we got real cheap cuz they're broke"

me: "can I see em?"

him: "Sure"

We go into the back. He pulls out 2 stock S12s one that's been used to hell and back as a range rental and the other is barely used (think they stole the firing pin from it to fix the range gun which broke again because the drift pin was loose)

me: "what did you pay for these?"

him: "$50 each."

me: "I'll give you 100 each..."

him: "ask the manager"

Talk to the manager.

Mngr: "We were hoping to fix em"

me: "I'll give you 300 for the pair"

mngr: "I wanted to keep one"

me: "let me buy this one (good barely used one) for $150 and I'll get us replacement pins from the importer or made"

mngr: "Ok, sold"

So out the door I walk with a S12 that's just missing a firing pin, for $164.00 (tax etc.)

Wednesday, 6:15PM

I walk back in, talk to the mngr.

me: "hey, I talked to the importer. He has none. I'm getting some made"

him: "you know what, I have too much on my plate as it is, if you want you can buy the other too"

me: "how much?"

him: "150, same as other"

me: "yah but this one is gruddy and really used"

him: "yah, you're right, 125..."

me: "sold."

So out the door I walk with a S12 that's really used, but just missing a firing pin, for $137.50.

Now, while that may have been kin to Highway Robbery, i'd appreciate it if you'd restrain from hinting that I'm some sort of felon before you know the story....

Now excuse me while I hunker down in preperation for the hate-mail tornado.

~SaigaNoobie

Hell yeah man good freakin deal. Now Gunfixr needs to charge triple for those firing pins now :haha:

LOL

We already chatted. Nate (Gunfixr) is a good guy, he knew the deal last night. He's a good guy to do business with. He'll do anything he can, real nice fella.

unless you were holding the afore mentioned shotgun to his head , you should be laughing all the way to the bank

Nah,

I figure they got $200 bucks off 2 guns, not bad. Plus they didn't have to do crap to fix them. I gotta deal with getting them in working order. Which I will thoroughly enjoy :devil:

Well now..wasn't I way off base huh? Guess what noob? I have a job to do here. If I think you are up to no good (which I did), then it's my responsibility to find out exactly WHAT IS going on.

I did.

Yeah, I saw that too. I've been quietly reading a lot of the pissing contests and just plain junk that have been going on lately, and I'm sure you're just fed up with everything, Cobra. But when you do stuff like this, it just puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and doesn't help the situation (IMHO). I was actually reading a random Proverb this evening, and it was weird how appropriate it seemed here.

Proverbs 25: 21-2 If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you shall heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think I know how you feel, but it won't get any better until someone steps up and is the better man and lets things go.

Acer

Thank you Acer. It would really help a LOT if just ONE person on this forum, who shall go un named, would just LET THINGS GO!

NUFF SAID!!!

SaigaNoobie I jumped the gun on what you were up to and I'm sorry.

From what it looked like to me, you had either done some weird mods, or were up to such things that it attracted people's attention....NOT just mine. If you had been more open, and less secretive about what you were doing, we would not be having this conversation.

I have been a member on more than a few gun boards over the years. I have seen people post tongue in cheek comments about little mods to their guns that they should not be talking about in public....so they put cute little smilies by their hints about what they are up to, and don't want everyone to know about. Still though, there are some people who read enough posts on the forum, that they know right away that something isn't quite right. I saw some posts you made in another thread where you were playing around with the FCG and doing talking about trying things that were not what anyone else does. You are a young guy who has not had as much experience with these type of weapons as many of us here....hence the SN.

Even Tony (I'm pretty sure it was him) commented on what you said in that other thread and advised against fucking with things like you were describing.

As someone who's responsibility it is here, to make sure things stay as clean as possible, I chose to put an end to the guessing games and get you to come forward with what you were talking about....or can it. In hindsight, I should have just sent you a PM, like so many others should have sent me one, instead of publicly judging my actions.

You did come forward and you proved my suspicions wrong. For that I thank you and you have my humble apology.

Please do not judge the mods here for trying to weed thru the BS and keep things clean around here. It's not easy.

Talk to Tantal

He has spare Saiga 12 parts (here and there). I think based on my last "inventory" list (in an email early June) he might have what you need.

I was checking for spare parts (springs/extractor or whatever) and I think he only has the top covers and complete bolt assembly in stock (its a take-off).

(looked it up in my email for you): Saiga-12 bolt assembly, complete, take-off but near new, serialized $49.95 (+ shipping $4.90) IN STOCK

Of course.... you only need the firing pin components inside :) So that might be the way to go. I dont know if its still in stock or will include the whole thing or simply just the bolt head. You have to ask him on that one.

BUT, its an option for you.

Congrats on the great deal. I'd have it seriously checked though to find out for sure why it broke (head spacing?) That's a Tony question for sure.

Play it safe!

Anyway, hope that helps.

~Steve

As for the rest. Give it a rest folks. Sheesh, it raised the eye (trained eye I might add) of even Tony. As well it should!

Heck, even I was scratching my head thinking "what the...how"?

Edited by whatmanual

Upon further inspection, the pins aren't broken so much as gone.

They are both missing the front pin section so when you push the rear piece where the hammer strikes you see nothing in the firing pin hole. Hence we assumed broken. When I took em apart, they were actually gone.

The thing is, on the range gun, the drift pin on the bolt, holding the firing pin in, is so loose it literally falls out. This, coupled with someone who doesn't know what they're doing, resulted in lost pins or pins they assumed "Broke" because the pin was in 2 pieces now.

I'll be test firing them probably this weekend just to make sure everything is in working order... how? I'll use my good bolt since I know it works :)

Thank you for sharing. I really just wanted the whole story for my own piece of mind. And I didn't assume any illegality on your part I just assumed you had done something silly and broken a pin. Thats probably how I would break one. (By doing something silly, I mean.) :rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing. I really just wanted the whole story for my own piece of mind. And I didn't assume any illegality on your part I just assumed you had done something silly and broken a pin. Thats probably how I would break one. (By doing something silly, I mean.) :rolleyes:

LOL I hear ya... I was trying to lessen the pull weight on my S12 by cutting off one of the legs of the hammer spring... It worked... BUT the trigger wouldn't reset because there wasn't enough force! LOL so there went that $10 spring! :) Luckily I had purchased a new one to test on as the one I had worked perfectly.

Nice score there.

Thanks! They need some work, but I'm up to the challenge!

One is in really bad shape. The dust cover won't even seat properly, gonna have to bend it some... Looks like this one had about 10000 rds through it! :killer: