So I decided to convert my stock Remy 870 into a pistol grip defense gun. I am looking at possibly going with some of the following choices:

Hogue Tamer Pistol Grip & Forend

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...556440#enalarge

also was looking at this grip: Knoxx recoil reducing breach pistol grip Anybody ever use this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

I'm trying to decide on a 18.5" barrel.

I looked at this one, but I'm concerned that if I add a 2 round mag extender, it will be shorter than the brake.

SHT-600.jpg

2 rnd mag extender:

possibly a heat shield as well.

I also just considered buying a Mossberg 500, but I like the Remy 870's and have read that 870's are better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Remington4823.jpg

nice Megalodon movie avatar....

i have the 870, and have considered the same things. I bought the knoxx AR style recoil reduction stock, and sadly do not love the way it feels in the hand.....no range report on how it handles shooting wise....I have a 20 inch slug barrel (smooth bore) with iron sights. and 3 round extension which works fine.

i have considered the pistol grip option, but not sure i want to deal with that sort of recoil on my wrist. I think a real stock give you more options for HD.

I would skip the heat shield personally, just more weight.

nice Megalodon movie avatar....

i have the 870, and have considered the same things. I bought the knoxx AR style recoil reduction stock, and sadly do not love the way it feels in the hand.....no range report on how it handles shooting wise....I have a 20 inch slug barrel (smooth bore) with iron sights. and 3 round extension which works fine.

i have considered the pistol grip option, but not sure i want to deal with that sort of recoil on my wrist. I think a real stock give you more options for HD.

I would skip the heat shield personally, just more weight.

thanks and thanks for the info!

Anybody have any suggestions for an 18" barrel for this 870?

I'd be mostly shooting buckshot and maybe some slugs. ?????????????

Just cut your barrel down to 18.25" A hacksaw and a file to make the cut square will work just fine.

That will give you cylinder bore and will work just fine for buck shot and slugs.

My first duty 870 was made just that way and worked fine till my Fiancée gave me my current Stainless Steel Marine Magnum 870! :D

Anybody have any suggestions for an 18" barrel for this 870?

I'd be mostly shooting buckshot and maybe some slugs. ?????????????

Just cut your barrel down to 18.25" A hacksaw and a file to make the cut square will work just fine.

That will give you cylinder bore and will work just fine for buck shot and slugs.

My first duty 870 was made just that way and worked fine till my Fiancée gave me my current Stainless Steel Marine Magnum 870! :D

that is an idea, but I'd hate to wreck the barrel for bird hunting.

I took my stock 870 and bought a 18.5 inch smooth bore barrel made by Mossberg for the Remington 870 and had it tapped for Remchokes. Barrel has a bead sight. Not sure if those barrels are still being offered but I believe I bought it out of Cabela's years back.

• 2 weeks later...
On a side note, what's the average price (in store, not online) that a NIB 870 Express would go for? I'm looking to get one, and go the "tacti-cool" route too, so I don't need a model that's already tactical.

So I swung by Gander Mountain today, and they had a NIB 870 Express 12ga, 18.5" with black synthetic furniture. They were asking $379 + tax on it. Sounds kinda high for the base model 870, no?

On a side note, what's the average price (in store, not online) that a NIB 870 Express would go for? I'm looking to get one, and go the "tacti-cool" route too, so I don't need a model that's already tactical.

So I swung by Gander Mountain today, and they had a NIB 870 Express 12ga, 18.5" with black synthetic furniture. They were asking $379 + tax on it. Sounds kinda high for the base model 870, no?

price is way high. Bass Pro Shops has them (or at least the deer gun with slug barrel for $290 right now)

look around the same store though - see if they have the NEF or H&R Pump Pardner Protector model. I got one from my local gander for $130 and it is the same or better (more metal, and better finish, +1 extra round capacity) than the 870 Express. I love mine - better feeling than my father in laws Express, though my Wingmaster is tad bit nicer overall.

Edited by RangerM9

price is way high. Bass Pro Shops has them (or at least the deer gun with slug barrel for $290 right now)

look around the same store though - see if they have the NEF or H&R Pump Pardner Protector model. I got one from my local gander for $130 and it is the same or better (more metal, and better finish, +1 extra round capacity) than the 870 Express. I love mine - better feeling than my father in laws Express, though my Wingmaster is tad bit nicer overall.

That's what I figured. I guess I should of known better, being that Gander is usually more expensive.

Funny that you mention Bass Pro. I was telling my lady friends father about the 870, and he also recommended Bass Pro. He wants to make a day trip out of it, because the closest one is about 2 hours away from me.

If I make it back to Gander in the meantime, I'll see if they have the NEF or H&R, thanks for the tip.

if your going to stay with pump action, i don't see much of a difference in mossy or remington, that barrel pic with the door breach tho, that looks like the mossberg's breacher barrel setup...i've never used a PG only 12 gauge just because its a bit hard on the wrists, but it would be a good truck/trunk gun

Hello

To me, one of the coolest things about the Mossy/870 pumps is the ability to accept the Surefire integrated forearm/flashlight slide deal.

Best shotgun flashlight ever made, in my opinion. Batteries/switches built in to the grip, only the bulb head sticks out of the grip. I think it's a better H/D arrangement than the pistol grip out front. Wish I could obtain something similar for my Saigas....

-I have my 870 with an 18" tact. Rem. barrel and matching mag tube, and Knoxx over-folding wire stock and pistol grip. Spec-something, I forget.....

guido2 in Houston

Hello, Vultite

Here's the 870. It spooked a few would-be looters in box vans during the hurricane fiasco down here. That's about the time I realized I needed more firepower, a la Saiga! Well, actually my youngest bitch Sammy-Jo and I were on self-appointed neighborhood patrol and it later occurred to me how vulnerable we were with just 00 loaded up (and a couple of sidearms). The thought of having a couple of extra mag's in my pocket with slugs just gave me a warm, comfortable feeling inside......

For H/D, however, I really do like the SureFire pumper. Great light, and the sheer shock value of a blinding light coupled with that unmistakable sound....

-Oh, the wire-frame folding stock is a "CopStock". Not the most comfortable, but since the pistol grip is on the Knoxx cam, it's really pretty mild to shoot with the stock folded, so there's not much to transfer to your shoulder anyway.

guido2 in Houston

post-3965-1218193728_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1218193743_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1218193783_thumb.jpg

Hello, Vultite

Here's the 870. It spooked a few would-be looters in box vans during the hurricane fiasco down here. That's about the time I realized I needed more firepower, a la Saiga! Well, actually my youngest bitch Sammy-Jo and I were on self-appointed neighborhood patrol and it later occurred to me how vulnerable we were with just 00 loaded up (and a couple of sidearms). The thought of having a couple of extra mag's in my pocket with slugs just gave me a warm, comfortable feeling inside......

For H/D, however, I really do like the SureFire pumper. Great light, and the sheer shock value of a blinding light coupled with that unmistakable sound....

-Oh, the wire-frame folding stock is a "CopStock". Not the most comfortable, but since the pistol grip is on the Knoxx cam, it's really pretty mild to shoot with the stock folded, so there's not much to transfer to your shoulder anyway.

guido2 in Houston

post-3965-1218193728_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1218193743_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1218193783_thumb.jpg

That looks nice! So does the SureFire actually replace the entire factory pump, or does it clamp onto it?

Got another question, since there's some 870 owners in the thread: Anyone see/used this contraption before?

I wanted to put that type foreend on my 870 but wasn't sure about the metal edges etc on a spot where I would be manipulating a lot with my hands.

I tracked this type solid polymer? type tri-rail on Ebay for awhile and got one fairly cheap. I think it may be shorter overall than some metal ones but it has a nice grippy feel to it vs. smooth aluminum, etc. - came with a vertical grip also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-870-Tactical...11.c0.m14.l1318

Just put it on this week and plan to try it out with the S12 next opportunity.

Cheers, HarvKY

Got another question, since there's some 870 owners in the thread: Anyone see/used this contraption before?

I wanted to put that type foreend on my 870 but wasn't sure about the metal edges etc on a spot where I would be manipulating a lot with my hands.

I tracked this type solid polymer? type tri-rail on Ebay for awhile and got one fairly cheap. I think it may be shorter overall than some metal ones but it has a nice grippy feel to it vs. smooth aluminum, etc. - came with a vertical grip also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-870-Tactical...11.c0.m14.l1318

Just put it on this week and plan to try it out with the S12 next opportunity.

Cheers, HarvKY

Well damn, that's a helluva lot cheaper :D .

I just wonder how it will hold up to the pumping, using a vert. grip.

I found a Remington brand 18.5" police barrel setup on GB for $120. I think the Remy brand barrels are much better than the mossbergs.

Also went with a Streamlight TLR-1 for it as well. Will post pics of gun once completed!

I love the Hogue PG and fore grip. Good solid feel and great rubberized grip.

556440.jpg

also picked up this sweet little case for it for $20 and side saddle for $20.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=CASE-500

CASE-500.jpg

31968.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=31968

plus 2 rnd mag extension:

370160.jpg

Edited by sharkbit
  • 2 years later...

Great write-up sharkbit. I'm not normally a fan of PG shotties, but I like that one.

I love the Hogue PG and fore grip. Good solid feel and great rubberized grip.

I've had a Hogue fore end like yours for my 1300 for about 3 years. There's nothing quite like it. Very comfortable, with great grip/traction.

• 4 weeks later...