Skilled gunsmith?

I need to find out who you would recommend as a skilled gunsmith to shorten the barrel (from 19" to either 8" or 10") as well as the gas system, and of course re-finish it with reliable results. I know it's not as easy as just chopping the barrel since it is tapered so I need to do my homework on who is good to go to and word of mouth is normally a pretty good source for recommendations.

Thanks

I need to find out who you would recommend as a skilled gunsmith to shorten the barrel (from 19" to either 8" or 10") as well as the gas system, and of course re-finish it with reliable results. I know it's not as easy as just chopping the barrel since it is tapered so I need to do my homework on who is good to go to and word of mouth is normally a pretty good source for recommendations.

Thanks

Both E-Tac and Tromix have reliable shortened gas systems.

Tony Rumore at Tromix.com

or Will at Redstick-Firearms.com

Only 2 I trust with builds. Both usually have waiting lists though. Worth every moment.

There are some great gunsmith's that tiy can find to make you great range guns, competition guns, home defense guns, hunting and so forth....

..but only those 2 guys I trust with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI guns that I would head to the hills with.

my 5 cents (inflation).

~Steve

Edited by whatmanual
I'd offer but I'm not licensed to do SBSs, yet.

Have you contacted Tony over at Tromix?

Not yet, although I did look at their site.....several times.....and after doing the math the difference in price is worth not having to deal with ffl shipping several times so I will end up getting the saiga12 with 8" barrel and folding stock straight from them. Any idea how long of a wait there is? I am still saving for it but it would be nice to know how long I would need to wait.

Thanks

Tony is the most experienced Saiga SBS smith on the planet, with hundreds of shorties in the field.

Yep.........Truer words never spoken...........

.........and this one is my favorite.......Jeaux' Big Ten Inch...............

(Inspired by the first pic I ever saw of Tony's personal shorty.......a 12")

post-3950-1217042551_thumb.jpg

Tony is the most experienced Saiga SBS smith on the planet, with hundreds of shorties in the field.

Looks like that one has the standard length gas system, I am guessing this was before he figured out how to remanufacture the gas system.....I like the way the barrel just barely sticks out of the stock.

I am debating on whether or not I want the MP5 sights or not, not really functional since as a home defense weapon I probably won't be using the sights much, just turn on the tac light and count on hitting anything in the center of the glow. The sights and a flash suppressor are the only upgrades I would want above the standard sbs conversion. I am going to have to start ferreting away more $$$$ so I can get this sooner.

Looks like that one has the standard length gas system, I am guessing this was before he figured out how to remanufacture the gas system.....I like the way the barrel just barely sticks out of the stock.

Nope..........The gas system has been moved back on my gun......... It is a mid-length move...not as far back as the 8" guns, and was done to accomodate the factory handguard that I wanted to keep.

Tony tells me its the only one of its kind...........

IIRC, any barrel shorter than 13"-14" has to have the gas block moved............. Tony had the remanufacture of the gas system mastered long before he did this gun for me !!Another pic showing the location of the gas block a little better, and with the TROMIX SPAS-15 stock..........

post-3950-1217094017_thumb.jpgpost-3950-1217094297_thumb.jpg

Tony says he'll begin taking new orders on October 1, 2008........!!

Edited by Jeaux E