I recently bought a Norinco SKS from a friends widow. I'm not sure when he originally purchased it though. He just passed about 3 weeks ago and was in his 60's and worked the last 30 years in a gun shop. I'm pretty sure he worked in a different gun shop before that, the same one who imported the rifle. The rifle is marked NACO Ridgefield NJ Which is for navy arms company. That store hasn't been around in at least 7 years now. There is no import date on the rifle. The only way I was able to tell it's age was to decode the serial number adding the first 2 digits in my case to the number 1956. Mine was built in 1968 according to this. Is it safe to assume that the gun didn't just sit in china of vietnam until after 1989? The reason I'm asking is because of the bayonet. The thing doesn't have a bayonet on it but still has the lug and it was my understanding that as long as it was imported before 1989 the bayonet is OK. I'm thinking that it was probably imported before 1989 just because of the fact it was made 21 years before that.

I recently bought a Norinco SKS from a friends widow. I'm not sure when he originally purchased it though. He just passed about 3 weeks ago and was in his 60's and worked the last 30 years in a gun shop. I'm pretty sure he worked in a different gun shop before that, the same one who imported the rifle. The rifle is marked NACO Ridgefield NJ Which is for navy arms company. That store hasn't been around in at least 7 years now. There is no import date on the rifle. The only way I was able to tell it's age was to decode the serial number adding the first 2 digits in my case to the number 1956. Mine was built in 1968 according to this. Is it safe to assume that the gun didn't just sit in china of vietnam until after 1989? The reason I'm asking is because of the bayonet. The thing doesn't have a bayonet on it but still has the lug and it was my understanding that as long as it was imported before 1989 the bayonet is OK. I'm thinking that it was probably imported before 1989 just because of the fact it was made 21 years before that.

Agree with the sks board as being a great resource.

You are right, uncle Clinton made it so the dangerous bayo's could not be imported with the rife. I have been told that it may be difficult to tell if you rifle had the bayo or not. But I bought my rifle with the bayo already on it :rolleyes:

Agree with the sks board as being a great resource.

You are right, uncle Clinton made it so the dangerous bayo's could not be imported with the rife. I have been told that it may be difficult to tell if you rifle had the bayo or not. But I bought my rifle with the bayo already on it :rolleyes:

Read this link.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=37246.0

It's a factory 26 made in 1968 according to the information I've found. I've already taken the entire gun apart, cleaned everything, ended up painting the barrel and receiver along with all the other metal parts. I also sanded and polished the bolt carrier. As far as the trigger group goes, I wasn't really paying attention to it but I'm almost 100% sure it's milled. All the numbers match on the rifle except for the stock. :cryss: I've got a scoped receiver cover on it now but do have the original one as well.

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

It's a factory 26 made in 1968 according to the information I've found. I've already taken the entire gun apart, cleaned everything, ended up painting the barrel and receiver along with all the other metal parts. I also sanded and polished the bolt carrier. As far as the trigger group goes, I wasn't really paying attention to it but I'm almost 100% sure it's milled. All the numbers match on the rifle except for the stock. :cryss: I've got a scoped receiver cover on it now but do have the original one as well.

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

Yours is stamped. The ban that made it a sin to have a bayonet is over. I think that it is okay to put one one there now and they are not very expensive. A couple of the shops around here still have boxes of them that they removed from guns they sold during the ban and they ussually end up in the bargain bins. They are good guns. I had one with the milled trigger but I didn't notice any differance in they way it functioned. I believe the stamped ones were just to save cost of production.

Your rifle looks like it takes the spike and not the blade type.

Edited by madmilo
  • 4 weeks later...

The ban that made it a sin to have a bayonet is over.

sorry the ban on the bayonets on the china sks rifles is not over. when i was a dealer we had to remove the bayonets from all the rifles and that ban has not been resended. the other ban (AWB) is over, but this ban was not part of that ban. if you had a customers reciept that showed the sks was imported ( not date of manufacture) before the ban can you legally have a bayonet on it other wise no..