700 Pile Driver

I was screwing around in the shop today, and put together this little gem. Based on a cut down 50BMG case, it appears that it would function fine on the Saiga platform with some very minor work to the extractor and bolt. With the BMG case, I imagine you could boost the pressure to about 20,000 psi and still keep the lugs on the bolt. It is probably cost prohibitive to do sell these comercially as it would be deemed a DD and take a $200 NFA stamp, but it certainly could be done. Probably not worth doing, but it looks cool nonetheless.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=236616

OH MY GOD!!! I think I speak for a lot of people when I say you are my hero! That is HUGE. The ATF would shit themselves on that one. I looks like an artillery round. I laughed when I saw it. What are the specs on that? Muzzle Velocity and Energy.

Funny.

I have no idea what the ballastics would be on that monstrocity. I have no plans to build any, but if full length brass 12 gauge hulls show up like the old WWII shells, you could probably just cut them down a bit and leave the slug hanging out the end of the hull to give you the same visible effect.

if the gun still could fire standard 12 gauge hulls, how come it might be considered a DD even though there is no rifiling in the barrel? I know the 8 bores are DD's because they are actual rifles, but that basically just a 12 gauge slug isnt it? what could cause it to be a DD if it could still fire normal 12 gauge hulls?

With that particular case, it would not fire 12ga rounds. The 50BMG case/bullet in this pic is quite a bit smaller than a 12ga. Like I said, if you had brass 12 gauge hulls you could probably duplicate the looks, but am not sure if you could run the pressure up or not.

OK, now you have me scratching my head on this thing.

The OD of a 12ga is about .802" and the OD of this is .798" at the head, so if I blew out the taper in the 50BMG case it would probably work with a .720/12ga projectile but may bulge a bit at the front after firing. Certainly not an ideal situation and hardly saleable like that, but it would probably work.

oh come on now tony, i can tell you cant stop there. what about a sizing die? isnt there a belted 50BMG round or something similar out there? cant that lower extraction rim be worked out some to provide a rim? also, if the case is long enough, shouldnt it just lodge against the chamber head in the 12g barrel? or is that 3 1/4" on this gun to that point? it would have to be legal if it were just another round for the 12 gauge. you might be able to sell the cases empty as loadable "home dfense storage" rounds. :) ten bucks a pop, top in the mag. har har. its prolly not worth it, but it would sure turn a lot of heads on a range if you had a pile of those on the bench next to you....

McUZI,

That friggin 50BMG LAWS rocket gun I made just about killed me. I didn't quite realize what I was getting into, firing that thing off the top of my shoulder like that. With no muzzle brake and a bunch of the barrel extending out behind my back, there was very little weight out front. So when I touched it off, the muzzle went screaming upward and the buttstock slammed back so hard I had to take several steps backward just to keep the whole damn thing from flipping me over backwards. The barrel ended up completely vertical which was pretty invigorating when you consider the weight of a Ma Deuce barrel alone. I was trembling uncontrollably at that point. It was kinda scary.....so I had to fire it several more times. ;-)

McUZI,

That friggin 50BMG LAWS rocket gun I made just about killed me.  I didn't quite realize what I was getting into, firing that thing off the top of my shoulder like that.  With no muzzle brake and a bunch of the barrel extending out behind my back, there was very little weight out front.  So when I touched it off, the muzzle went screaming upward and the buttstock slammed back so hard I had to take several steps backward just to keep the whole damn thing from flipping me over backwards.  The barrel ended up completely vertical which was pretty invigorating when you consider the weight of a Ma Deuce barrel alone.  I was trembling uncontrollably at that point.  It was kinda scary.....so I had to fire it several more times.  ;-)

Yeah, all that post did was make me want the thing even worse. I've been pining for it ever since you posted about it years ago.

Hook a brutha up... :super:

Edited by McUZI

tony, you should do what those guys on accurate reloading do, and set up a camera and film someone that is unaware firing it off :) all the fun I can have along those lines is "accidentally" putting a 3" slug in the 12 guage mixed into the skeet loads and forget to tell my buddy its in there. always a good laugh, and usually i have to laugh while running the other direction as well...

Couple of quick notes 12ga brass hulls are commercially available,but are big $$$

as they are popular with the $10,000 dollar 'sporting' crowd! 8GA. and larger were the first guns to be banned in america, sometime before WW1. They used to have shotties up to 4" bore! The ban was on any shotty larger than 10ga. this was done because th ducks were going extinct!

The wife's great granfather was a waterman, and had a "market gun". (these were humonges damascus barelled blunderbus type guns with 3 to 4" bores and 10 FEET long! they were mounted in a 'punt' or 3 log canoe and were used to shoot whole flocks of duck or geese at dawn for that day's market) One morning he took her 'birding' and had her shoot th damn thing! She left him shortly after that! :lolol:

G O B

I read about "Punt" guns years ago as having been the first guns banned in the US- Interesting data GOB...

Anyway, 12 gauge brass is getting cheaper as demand has gone up a good deal with CASS matches now heavily incorporating shotguns. There is now a foriegn source for them @ about $1 per, and a fellow online makes some very nice, higher quality ones for about $4-$5 per.

Hell, I just paid $55 for an old box of ten unused Alcan 3 1/2" 10 gauge brass hulls... :unsure::cryss::super:

Edited by McUZI

hell i got some barnual rounds but i think they were steel cased not too long ago.

i think i still have the spent casings. the 410 rounds are still around but haven't seen the 12s since i last ordered.

they are made to cycle the saigas. they are loaded pretty hot.

i ran some through my 410 pump. every case split. they are designed to be fired in a semi. the 12s didn't split. they turned out ok.