Finally mustered the testicles to drill on my S12

If it's sliding on it's pivot pin a little, that's just the normal clearance between the hole in the receiver and the trigger.

If it's rocking side to side sloppily, then, like Cobra said, is the hollow sleeve through the trigger and disconnect, with the pivot pin through that?

I didn't reuse the sleeve. I guess that could be an issue. Hell, I don't even know if I still have the thing. Anyone got some suggestions one what I could use instead? I figured the sleeve wouldn't fit over the axle pin, being that the original axle pin was a good bit smaller than the new one...

Great looking gun!

The sleeve they are talking about is the one that came with the new FCG (if it's a G2 anyway). The original axle pin would then be put through the sleeve once the trigger is in place.

Thanks.

That's good about the sleeve, as I kinda mangled the original one. I did use a G2, so I'll go dig through the parts and see if there was anything extra. If not, I guess I could get one from Tapco, or find something at the hardware store.

Well, I can't find any sleeve that came with the trigger group. I guess I either misplaced it or didn't get one. Anyone have a picture of the tapco sleeve?

Is this the part I would need?

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=ca0e...47-ed542164a68e

Edited by elvis christ

No but it looks kinda like that. It looks like a roll pin, with a slit down the side....only very thin walled.

This pic shows everything you should have gotten with your G-2 kit. The sleeve (top center), fits through the hole in the trigger and the disconnecter, and holds the disco. in place while retaining the disco. spring (not included). Then you should have slid the trigger axis pin through the left side of the receiver, and through the trigger sleeve, then out through the BHO and the other side of the receiver.

Without that part in there things would be way to sloppy to shoot safely. I'm surprised it even operated at all.

post-1293-1218506442.jpg

If you do find out where to get one let me know. I need one myself.

No but it looks kinda like that. It looks like a roll pin, with a slit down the side....only very thin walled.

This pic shows everything you should have gotten with your G-2 kit. The sleeve (top center), fits through the hole in the trigger and the disconnecter, and holds the disco. in place while retaining the disco. spring (not included). Then you should have slid the trigger axis pin through the left side of the receiver, and through the trigger sleeve, then out through the BHO and the other side of the receiver.

Without that part in there things would be way to sloppy to shoot safely. I'm surprised it even operated at all.

post-1293-1218506442.jpg

If you do find out where to get one let me know. I need one myself.

My kit actually came with what appeared to be a disconnecter spring. I went on and used the one out of the original trigger group, but I don't believe i had the sleeve. I just ran the axle pin through th disconnecter and the trigger, and out the other side. I'm going to get in touch with tapco and see if they can do something for me.

I've seen that thing with the PG catching the trigger happen before. Nice job, it looks good and clean.

That's why I included a note about that potential issue with the Tromix DIY kit instructions. Sounds like someone didn't read the directions.

Tony

I did a bit of touch up on the bottom of the receiver, using Semi-gloss black engine enamel. Here are the results:

DSCF1063.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

This is just the first coat, you can see where I had masked off next to the mag release, I'm thinking of masking closer to the mag release when I do the second coat, and getting rid of that awkward block of original finish. It doesn't really look that prominent in person, but the flash on the camera emphasizes it. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a better idea of what needs to be painted when the trigger guard comes in.

Looks good! I'm thinking about using the same paint.

Did you have to prep the receiver (sanding or using any type of degreaser) prior to paining it?

Cool lookin cat elvis! You might try calling Tapco to see if they'll send you one. You gotta have it. I guess I need to do the same. Interesting that you got a spring with yours.... :unsure: Are you sure it's a Tapco G-2?

Duke when I paint a receiver I either sand it down to bare metal or at least lightly sand the paint that's on there so the new paint will bond to it. You need to do that any time you paint anything that's already painted. Also wipe it down afterwards with mineral spirits or similar thinner.

Yeah I've had the trigger catch on a regular AK grip before. Slight trimming and fixed.

That's Oscar. He's a real bastard. Actually, he thinks he's a dog, and it's irritating for a cat to act like that.

I'm sure it's a G2 kit, it says G2 on the trigger and tapco on the hammer, all that stuff. I'm going to get in touch with tapco and see if they can get me a few of those sleeves. I'll holler at you Cobra and let you know what the deal is.

Duke, I didn't do any prep work to the thing, so I'm waiting to see how long the finish will last. Eventually I want to get moly coated, so I'm not really stressing it.

Thanks for the info guys. Down the road I too would like to have mine sandblasted and coated with Norell's Moly resin finish. I thought about doing it myself, but I don't have a sandblaster nor do I think my wife would appreciate the smell of freshly baked receiver! :ded::super:

Do you know who can I send it to for a quality moly resin job? Oh, and how much do you think it will cost?

That's Oscar. He's a real bastard. Actually, he thinks he's a dog, and it's irritating for a cat to act like that.

Does he hike his leg to piss, and hump your leg?

guido2 in Houston

No, he just gets in your face when your trying to eat, comes when you call him, things like that.

• 6 months later...

You appear to have had the same smaller plate on the receiver that I have. Did you have to drill the hole where the trigger was to accommodate the grip nut? Then, how did you attach your stock?

I have the Tapco T6 stock on it now. I didnt know if I could take the grip off and move it forward. If you didn't have to cut the hole for your pistol grip, then I'm running out to get my parts........

Edited by impcmonk

Does he hike his leg to piss, and hump your leg?

guido2 in Houston

No, he just gets in your face when your trying to eat, comes when you call him, things like that.

Haha. Mine does that too. But I love him~ :-)

Well, I can't find any sleeve that came with the trigger group. I guess I either misplaced it or didn't get one. Anyone have a picture of the tapco sleeve?

Is this the part I would need?

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=ca0e...47-ed542164a68e

maybe this is it

http://dpharms.com/trigger-bushings-p-59.html

ive made that mistake myself.. hope this helps

/\/\

I actually relegated the problem I was initially having. The hammer was getting caught on the disconnector hook and not releasing, even when the trigger was release. I took a file and filed off just a bit of the hammer, so that it wouldn't get caught. Problem solved. There's still a bit of slop in the trigger, but fuck it, it's an AK. It's not supposed to be tight. It works fine. I'm getting about 98% reliability with low brass wally world value pack trash, WITH THE KNOB ON #1 SETTING!!!! I was amazed. I went out and forgot to adjust the knob, but had no issues. In the past I would get a FTE just about every round on #1 setting. I have cleaned the thing since then, which is definitely what did it.

Edited by elvis christ