Convert myself? or send it to someone?

So im trying to buy a S12 in its new state, and when I buy it, how hard is it to do a conversion? I haven't found any threads for a "do-it-yourself" conversion. what all has to be done? I know some of the convertion places do some welding on the reciever and all that. just looking for a good detailed thread on how to.

Im trying to decide if I should buy one already converted OR do it myself.

If you are just interested in having a basic pistol grip conversion, I would suggest doing it yourself, if and only if, you are reasonably handy with metal working hand tools. There is a BIG difference between guys that are handy with tools and those that are not. It is very easy for the handy guys to give you the DIY advice, but I have seen so many complete abortions that I understand that not all men are created equal.

If you want an elaborate conversion, chances are you will need to send it out.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

so what is the difference between an elaborate conversion and a home done basic conversion? im not looking to do any competitions with it and I don't want it to look like an AK, I just want to have a nice trigger, I want to be able to put different folding stocks on it, pistol grips and different handguards. I really like the Chaos one. I want a sweet looking brake too. its pretty much going to be a fun gun for hunting pigs and deer, shooting skeet and trap, and just plinking. I will probably order a 20 round drum and a bunch of 10 round mags too.

I had really good luck with mine with credit to a couple board members.

1. Cobra helped me (Face to face) with drilling a 4th port and opening the other three as well as cutting down from 23in to 18. (I have since opened them up a hair more on my own)

2. Dinzag hooked me up with a great modified gas tube/sightblock that takes the upper AK handguard. A lower handguard retainer and a front site.

Everything else was done by me.

PG conversion, folding wood stock, cutting down the rear trunnion, installing a modified trigger group, and numerous little touches, mods, adjustments, and so on.

AKS-12

I agree with Tony, anyone handy with tools and a little patience, and the willingness to pay attention before cutting should be able to accomplish a basic conversion.

To get yourself a Tapco Bulgarian stock, Tapco SAW pistol grip, Tapco G2 fire control group, and Tromix or SkiBoatsp DIY trigger guard, then install them yourself, plugging the trigger/yoke holes with the little plastic plugs or the thin headed screws and shooting it with some black paint would be a "basic" conversion. This is pefectly acceptable. You can substitute the stock with a Tapco folder or M4 style, or the Ace folder that goes into an un modified gun, or even the one that fits inside after cutting off the tang.

An "elaborate" conversion is where the holes are welded up and smoothed over, the internals are given a thorough treatment, smoothing and polishing and the extractor tuning, cutting the end of the receiver when using a folder, and welding on a backplate. Shortening the barrel and opening the gas ports, permanently attaching a brake or Polychoke to be a part of the overall length. Stuff like that, that the average tinkerer doesn't have the equipment for.

Also, when refinishing with the more specialized finishes, the best way to insure adhesion is by blasting the whole gun first. Not everybody has a blasting cabinet. Of course, anybody can buy the equipment that we have, but it turns out expensive to buy all this equipment just to do your own gun.

Plus, and this may end up being the biggest thing that some would say is a reason to send it out, is that if somebody like Tony or myself is working on your gun, and we screw something up, we have to fix it. If you're working on the gun, and you screw it up, you have to fix it,maybe at more expense, or pay somebody to fix it. This is why Tony says "only if you're handy with metalworking tools", and you really are.

It's not out of the reach of many owners, just know what you want in the end, and, more importantly, your own limitations.

Cool.

I'm "handy" now!

It's not that hard. If you have ever built an AK, it is really kind of simple, using the Tromix DIY pistol grip converter.

Frankly, drilling the rivets was the hardest part, and I have demilled a lot of rivets. I think it is mentioned in an old thread, but the rivets on the Saiga 12 are HARD. The pins you have to drill out are just as tough.

The rest is just assembly and cosmetic work. You won't have one of the VERY NICE pro conversions, but I frankly I think mine looks good.

...and I don't want it to look like an AK, I just want to have a nice trigger, I want to be able to put different folding stocks on it, pistol grips and different handguards.

Please don't take any offense but to me it looks like you've pretty much described the AK that you don't want it to look like. Am I missing something? :unsure:

...and I don't want it to look like an AK, I just want to have a nice trigger, I want to be able to put different folding stocks on it, pistol grips and different handguards.

Please don't take any offense but to me it looks like you've pretty much described the AK that you don't want it to look like. Am I missing something? :unsure:

none taken. what I meant by looking like an AK is I don't want to put the wood furniture on it. I like the machined rail accessories and the zombie killing goodies

The pins you have to drill out are just as tough.
Those pins pop out easily with a hammer and punch. No drilling required.

You mentioned this to me in a PM, but I still don't get it. Are you saying that the pins that hold the original trigger in will just pop out with a punch if you hit them from the side opposite the selector/safety bar? I had read that you had to drill out the shoulder on those things.

The pins you have to drill out are just as tough.
Those pins pop out easily with a hammer and punch. No drilling required.

The beveled pins that leave the holes you have to fill? You punched them out, with no drilling?

Can I see a pic of the holes it left?

I drilled off the beveled shoulders and tapped them out. Unless your gun was different from mine, that must have left an interesting set of holes.

Edited by Cpt_Kirks