Hey! Thats mine! I just know Will has been fondling her.

It has the Galil magwell and uses Grendel specific mags which are AR based. It's the only one of it's kind. Will worked very hard making it all happen. I think it combines the best of everything.

The 6.5 has the accuracy of the 5.56, the penetration of the x39, and more velocity and energy at long range than the .308. All in a simple, rugged AK platform.

I will do extensive testing with various loads and report.

Who manufactured the barrel blank?

Will, do you own the chamber reamer and guages?

Tony

Pac-Nor supplied the barrel . I don't own the reamer or gauge . I had them leave it a bit long on the chamber end so I could cut it down to match up to the AK's boltface . If you catch a wild hair and decide you want one , these were the main's . Gasport , go conservative , think .223 preasure's/port size . Ramp , way short [longassed bullet on the 124 grn] . I think an original Galil ramp would have been a better starting place but the Bulgy .223 worked out in the end . I used a 20rn CMMG mag to set the magwell , I ordered a Alex arms 30 rnd to check it out . It didn't do so well , bolt wanted to ride over the top every 3-4 rnd's . Unloaded the mag , put the rnd's back in the 20 from CMMG and went back to shooting . Havn't tested enough to determine the "why" of it . I built it around Wolf124 grn softnose , which , I can't imagain a worse bullet for the AK platform . AK's being damn all hard on bullet tip's and those having about the biggest,longest , softest head I've ever seen on a rnd . I think the 110grn that are due out are going to be the natural fit for this caliber using the AK platform . For right now , I'm going get some of the 90 grn from Alex Arm's and work with them on the next one I build .

It has the Galil magwell and uses Grendel specific mags which are AR based. It's the only one of it's kind. Will worked very hard making it all happen. I think it combines the best of everything.

The 6.5 has the accuracy of the 5.56, the penetration of the x39, and more velocity and energy at long range than the .308. All in a simple, rugged AK platform.

oh , I wouldn't do that ......... :haha: How you like the look of those HK sight's up there ? I think they worked out great with that hinged dust-cover you invented . Will

Took over this project for a gentleman , it has been intresting . For those who have wondered , Yes you can .

2_4.jpg

2_3.jpg

Will, you are one sick dude, man. Can you convert my krink to fire 20 mike-mike? I'll be pissed if I see Atlantic selling this before you make it for me!

Edited by U.S Praetorian

Paladin, you have earned yourself a warning out of my own petty spiteful jealousy!

Sweet Rifle! (Asshole!) :haha:

Now I gotta go smack Dean with a warning for his new Tromix S12.......

Just kidding guys!

Took over this project for a gentleman , it has been intresting . For those who have wondered , Yes you can .

2_4.jpg

2_3.jpg

Will, you are one sick dude, man. Can you convert my krink to fire 20 mike-mike? I'll be pissed if I see Atlantic selling this before you make it for me!

yeah , but recoil's your problem :) I'll just have to figure a way to talk the help into testfireing for me LOL

oh , I wouldn't do that ......... :haha: How you like the look of those HK sight's up there ? I think they worked out great with that hinged dust-cover you invented . Will

I patented my hinged dust cover mod, you have to pay me a royalty to copy it! :haha:

Paladin, you have earned yourself a warning out of my own petty spiteful jealousy!

Sweet Rifle! (Asshole!) :haha:

Now I gotta go smack Dean with a warning for his new Tromix S12.......

Just kidding guys!

Well, you know me, I just gotta be different. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Wow - thats pretty awesome -- too bad there isn't another way to fold the stock - so that its legal in CA. I was lookign for info on somethigng like this - I was envisioning a rifle with many features of the keltec su-16 or keltec rfb -- - light, compact, semi auto, but in perhaps 6.5 Grendel (uses ar mags) -- the Saiga creation here is brilliant but the way the stock folds makes it major illegal in CA - whereas the way the keltec folds makes it ok as you cant fire/use it while its folded --- this is a pretty old thread but if anyone comes across something like this please PM me...

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Will,

Are you still willing to convert a Saiga 7.62x39 to a 6.5 Grendel?

Prior to starting an S12 conversion, I planned on purchasing a piston version of a 6.5 Grendel rifle. Since working on my S12 conversion, I've been considering a Saiga rifle conversion instead. After reading on this forum, I'm interested in a 6.5 Grendel Saiga conversion.

If you still do the 6.5 Grendel conversion, I'll purchase a Saiga 7.62x39 and the necessary parts over the winter. Then, I'll ship everything to you in the spring (if that fits your schedule).

Please let me know if this is possible and a "ballpark" cost estimate. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Will,

Are you still willing to convert a Saiga 7.62x39 to a 6.5 Grendel?

Prior to starting an S12 conversion, I planned on purchasing a piston version of a 6.5 Grendel rifle. Since working on my S12 conversion, I've been considering a Saiga rifle conversion instead. After reading on this forum, I'm interested in a 6.5 Grendel Saiga conversion.

If you still do the 6.5 Grendel conversion, I'll purchase a Saiga 7.62x39 and the necessary parts over the winter. Then, I'll ship everything to you in the spring (if that fits your schedule).

Please let me know if this is possible and a "ballpark" cost estimate. Thanks.

I'd hate to take it on right now , filming is eating up a lot of time . I can sell the one shown @ $1600.00

how about converting to .450 Bushmaster? I am very close to buying an AR platform in .450 bushmaster, but I would love a Saiga instead. Can/will you do it? Timeframe? cost?

I also really would love a .410 Saiga converted to .45/70. Can/will you do it? timeframe? cost?

PM me or let me know here. No pipedreams, I am serious and ready.......

• 3 weeks later...

This is very, very cool. That is an awesome weapon and will certainly get you noticed at the range.

Personally, though, I'd want one chambered in 7.62x45 just to confuse people. I still think that's a round that had great potential but was doomed due to the Soviet Union demanding all the Warsaw Pact nations use the 7.62x39.

If it were even mechanically possible, the other round I would love to have a Saiga chambered in is 7.62x38r. It'd be expensive to shoot, but I could always complain that I was missing a millimeter somewhere. :)

• 10 months later...