Converting regular AK-47 mags to fit the Saiga Rifle

According to the instructions from Dinzagarms:

http://dinzagarms.com/downloads/x39_mag_options.pdf

I want to do Option#1

I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH THE RIFLE!!!!

NOW THEY TALK IN OPTION #1 about a feeding ramp. I don't know what it is or where it goes. I have compare the factory mag with the AK mag and I dont see any difference or feeding ramp.

Please could somebody be patient enough to explain what is the feeding ramp and where it goes. Notice that in Option#1 YOU DON'T TOUCH THE RIFLE!!!

Edited by Berettatiger

My opinion:

If you mod your mags to fit the rifle, what happens when you run off and forget your mags or they fall in the sewer while you're unpacking them for a match?

You can't borrow anyone elses, because your rifle is only able to use your specific magazines.

If you think out your conversion, your rifle will be able to run both 10 round factory mags and military surplus mags afterward.

The factory magazine lip is much higher than the miltary surplus magazine lip. That constitutes the "factory feed ramp".

Why would you want to go through the trouble of modifying every magazine to fit your gun? They've been making these magazines for the last 50+ years all the same way, all over the world, but you want to modify all of them? Bite the bullet, no pun intended, and buy a bullet guide kit from Dinzag. Use a standard AK magazine and file your magazine latch accordingly. Once that's done all you need to do is file the feed ramp built in to the front of the saiga magazine and you'll be able to use it again. In the mean time you'll be able to use ANY standard AK47 magazine that's out there.

Hmm. I don't know guys.. I welded the lip on my mags, and they work flawlessly. I can switch between the saiga mag and the surplus mag no problem. Don't have to alter the gun at all. 2 minutes with the tig, 5 minutes with a file,and they are good to go.

fixedmag.jpg

r

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm. I don't know guys.. I welded the lip on my mags, and they work flawlessly. I can switch between the saiga mag and the surplus mag no problem. Don't have to alter the gun at all. 2 minutes with the tig, 5 minutes with a file,and they are good to go.

fixedmag.jpg

r

Do you have a pic of an unmodified mag so I can see the difference.

Where on the mag did you weld the lip?

I can't seem to tell from the picture.

thanks

fixedmag.jpg

r

thanks

OMG... why go to all that trouble? Just order the kit, drill one hole, tap one hole. bada bing bada bang... if you took shop in high school, you can do it, or just follow dinzags directions and go slow when tapping and you then can use any preban mag or standard AK mags... much cheaper than Saigas!post-10790-1218670135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Berzerker

fixedmag.jpg

r

thanks

sure,here you go :)

maglip.jpg

r

I tapped and added a ramp, as well. its easy too. cant go wrong either way. out here in cali though, we can only use 10 round mags so it's easier for me to just use my saiga mag which unless you modify cant be used with the ramp. so I took out the ramp, and welded up the lips. Its your choice.. whichever you prefer :) :)

Don't modify the mags--bad, bad, bad!

The Dinzag feed ramp is a good thing to install. However when you do it, be sure to set the screw in place with "red" locktight. Also a center-punch tap to the outside of the screw head is good also. I set mine in place also with a thin coat of that liquid metal two part expoxy that you can get in auto-parts stores.

If you live in CA. don't modify you mags--bad. Illegal. Felony.

To weld them up properly you need a special 0xycetelene tip (OOOO), and mixer... a large tip could wreck your mag--and also do a lot of damage to surrounding areas.

I welded up one mag to see if it would work--yeah it does. But then I looked at my stack of magazines and wondered.... it came to me that I should keep them original, and only two cheap mods to the Saiga would make them work, rather than a whole weekend full of micro-welding, grinding and filing.

The Dinzag ramp works--filing the mag latch works. Once you weld and should you choose too, file the mag tag, it's hard to go back.

Don't modify the mags--bad, bad, bad!

The Dinzag feed ramp is a good thing to install. However when you do it, be sure to set the screw in place with "red" locktight. Also a center-punch tap to the outside of the screw head is good also. I set mine in place also with a thin coat of that liquid metal two part expoxy that you can get in auto-parts stores.

If you live in CA. don't modify you mags--bad. Illegal. Felony.

To weld them up properly you need a special 0xycetelene tip (OOOO), and mixer... a large tip could wreck your mag--and also do a lot of damage to surrounding areas.

I welded up one mag to see if it would work--yeah it does. But then I looked at my stack of magazines and wondered.... it came to me that I should keep them original, and only two cheap mods to the Saiga would make them work, rather than a whole weekend full of micro-welding, grinding and filing.

The Dinzag ramp works--filing the mag latch works. Once you weld and should you choose too, file the mag tag, it's hard to go back.

Hey thanks for the information. I didn't know it was illegal to modify the mag? :unsure: well ya learn something new every day(hopefully) I went ahead and reeinstalled the ramp, as well as reversed the modifications I made to the mags to restore them to there original state.

thanks again for straightening me out. I definately want to keep everything 100% legal :up: .