My ported gas tube

Ok, it rained all day here, so I took my tube to the shop and ported it as per Lollygaggers measurements. First I measured off the front edge of the tube and lightly marked the first hole(8mm). Then I measured out 32mm with a caliper to the spot where I wanted the last hole and lightly marked it with a scribe.

post-5-1104793462.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next I set up the tube in a vice and clamped it to the table, drilled out the 1/8" first and last hole that I had marked and eyeballed the middle two. I tryed to go in at an angle parallel to the foregrip but because the tube is bent at a 45 degree angle the drill bit went in anything but straight. I drilled straight through the heat shield and tube body.

post-5-1104793706.jpg

Next, I flipped the tube over and did the same thing on the other side. The four holes on each side did not come out straight but they poked through at the crest of the flute on the inside so all is not lost! I will just have to touch the holes up with a little paint when it is finished so it wont be as noticable. Mabey I should have done the holes on the bottom side like Lollygagger did.

post-5-1104794013.jpg

Edited by pistonring8

Next, I picked a bigger drill bit at random to taper the holes on the outide and to kind of hide the alighnment. (sorry for spelling) You will want to crank up your drill as fast as it goes for this and ease it down just a little touch over the existing holes so that it appears smooth.

post-5-1104794350.jpg

Then I used a 1/4" round file to knock off the burrs inside the tube. Then wrapped the file with wetsand grade paper and wet sanded it smooth. I did this to try and take as little chrome off as possible and leave a smooth finish around the holes.

post-5-1104794550.jpg

Finally, I came home and put the rifle back together. I cant wait to test fire it. I was just at the range friday with 250 rounds of Wolf. So I should be able to make a very clear determination on how much this modification helps or hurts the Saigas performance!

post-5-1104794996.jpg

I was off today (last day of a vacation) and it was rainy as well.

So, I sipped some Coors light (for a change) and proceeded to drill gas ports in my .308 Saiga's tube.

I got a chance to fire it near sundown as it was just lightly misting -I ran 20 rounds thru it pretty quickly...

All functioned well and reliably. The muzzle flash seemed about the same -maybe a little bit larger, nothing very remarkable. The gas tube was SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER...in particular, in the section after the gas ports, towards the receiver...this, and the vented handguard, resulted in a much cooler running gun (the handguard never even got warm, while the barrel was too hot to touch).

Based on the experience, I'd recommend the gas port mod for the .308 Saiga, just as well as the other rifle caliber Saigas.

Lollygagger ^_^

Yes, guilty as charged. I saw someone else do it on a site and liked the way it looked. I glass bead blasted the paint off and went over it with a little polishing compound. I am told that the old style AK's had a bolt in the white and in my opinion it looks a little more refined like that.

I have looked and am wondering, what is the purpose of this drilling??

Ricky

The AK-47 was made with the ports in the gas tube to divert the spent gas, allowing the inertia to complete the action cycle...this kept the burnt gases OUT OF THE ACTION.

It is the pattern on the previous that I used to port the Saiga gas tube -which, in apparent "economy" was not ported -forcing more gases than is desired back into the action (works fine, but gets dirty quicker).

It is notable that the AKM & AK-74 versions do the same thing via having the ports in the gas fixture on the barrel, rather than the tube.

Doing this mod will usually do a bit for softening the felt recoil of the action, contribute to a cooler weapon, and, keep alot of residue out of the action.

That's why.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Thanks Lollygagger/

This is why i like this forum, cause you can be a complete idiot, not know what is been done, ask as a complete idiot and still get called that, but softly.

I am totally new to all this and do greatly appreciate all the help!! :D

Also though, If i were to do the gas porting, and a muzzle break, would that help, or is porting just a simpler less expansiv option than buying a muzzle beak??

I guess doing both would also not hurt. But before i go to try one or the other, does one produce better results than the other.

Ricky

Actually I just ordered a muzzle break for my Saiga. But ofcourse I am going to fire the rifle with just the gas tube port first and then add the muzzle break later so that I know for sure what feature produces what effect. Because if for some strange reason my Saiga malfunctions with just the gas tube being ported but not with the muzzle break, I will know exactly what to do and what to replace. I will be happy to post my full report on the + and - if it ever stops raining here. I think Lollygagger is shooting his 7.62x39 with both the porting modification done and a break installed.

Actually, I found one on E-bay for $13. Its the classic AK style with the two large side ports and two small ports at the top. It is brand new, lifetime warranty, made in the US. It was described as a "pin on style" and comes with a pin. Now on an AK you would remove the front fsb pin and slip the break on and replace the pin with the break pin. But on the Saiga I may have to remove the fsb or just drill out the press pin to make it fit. Hell, I may even have to tack weld it to the fsb! I was going to wait until I get it and then mess around with it in the shop until it works. It is comming from a company in Texas, and I should have it by tommorrow or friday. I will let you know as soon as it comes how it will fit the Saiga. But I am not going to put it on until after I get some time at the range with my new vented gas tube. There are more of them on E-bay, there were at least 3 when I got mine. I hope this helps.

j&g sales had ported mak90 gas tubes for $1.99 a few weeks ago.

only thing is their shipping is a pain in the ass.

i need one for my mak90 b/c the piston that came on my mak90 has a reddish tint and the rest of the gun is blued.

looks weird.

Yeh, a link for J&G would be good. p

pistonring8, I think he meant a gas tube not a muzzle brake for $1.99.

Even then that is not a bad price. Of course you have to insert the thing in your handguard which might prove to be alot of fun. But hey, who knows without trying? :unsure:

Wolverine