My ported gas tube

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, a link for J&G would be good. p

pistonring8, I think he meant a gas tube not a muzzle brake for $1.99.

Even then that is not a bad price. Of course you have to insert the thing in your handguard which might prove to be alot of fun. But hey, who knows without trying? :unsure:

Wolverine

here is link to J&G sales

http://catalog.jgsales.com/

could you change out the saiga gas tube with a vented AK gas tube?

I have seen a couple of these for sale. But being new to the AK market (and of course saiga market), I have no idea if there is a size difference between the saiga & the ak gas tube.

Yeah, PROBABLY. :unsure:

The tube would need to be a euro pattern...not chinese. The AKM/AK-74 tubes are more common than the AK-47 tube -but are NOT PORTED (but could be).

I have a AK-74 tube fitted to my Saiga 7.62x39 as a spare & for grins. It required a little final fitting (via a draw file) to lock in place...which is better than one being too loose (a possibility).

The point I'm trying to clarify is that you can use/fit one of these...but a little trim may be required.

Also, I note that the upper handguard metal retainers on the gas tube will NOT allow you to fit your lower Saiga handguard on at the same time -you'll either have to trim the Saiga handguard to allow for the standard AK tube use, or, will have to GRIND the upper handguard retainers off the gas tube.

that's the story as I see it, Lollygagger :unsure:

P.S. The Saiga 7.62x39 and Saiga .308 gas tubes are slightly DIFFERENT in the deminsions of the locking area...Meaning, they are close to being the same but DON'T INTERCHANGE (without mods).

Edited by lollygagger

thanks for the info lollygagger...

that is the kinda stuff that i needed to know.

I see a "frankenstein" rifle in my future....lol... and a lot of parts that almost fit in my closet.

I will probably start buying any spare parts marked ak47, ak74, mak 90....just to see what fits & how close

Hey Racerboy, If you still want your bolt carrier in the white, I wouldent mind glass bead blasting it for ya. Just mail it to me, I can do it the same day and mail it back. Priority mail is $3.85 one way and usually only takes about 2 days. Consider it a payback for sharing with us all all the parts you buy that DONT fit the Saiga.

my mak90 tube DOES fit my saiga 308, nice and snuggly.

only problem would be fitting it into the forearm on the saiga.

has anyone seen that ati stock setup for the sks?

the gas tube handguard actually fits down into the forearm.

maybe the saiga forearm can be relieved a bit so that the ak tube can be seated down into the forearm.

actually it seems all you would have to do is cut some slots into the forearm so that the retainer on the tube will just slide down into the forearm. i believe that i'll try this one out.

hope i can get another forearm if i screw this one up.

Thanks for the offer pistonring. That is very nice of you. Unfortunately (for me) I just finished making mine "in th white" last night. I folowed the instructions I found on an AK-47 site. I stripped it using blue remover & steel wool. Then I polished it up using Never Dull.

I definitely wish I would have waited now. It turned out great but took for ever. LOL. Oh well. I will post a pic as soon as I get off my lazy butt.

TWGLADF thanks for the info on the mak90 gas tube. Now I know definitely what to look for.

I think I am going to swap the lower handguard out for an AK one, so we will see how the Mac 90 gas tube on a Saiga goes with the AK lower handguard.

hey i figured it out

it seems the best way to do it would be to remove a small portion of the furniture retainer on each side of the tube.

the forearm is tooo thin to remove enough material to make it fit.

i can't start on this b/c i haven't ordered the extra gas tubes yet.

my scanner is not installed so i can't get ya'll any pics of what i'm talking about.

if you take your gas tube off and leave the forearm on. then engage the mak90 tube into the gas block as if you were going to install it. you will see the area that needs to be removed.

the furniture retainer does not have to be completly removed from the tube.

just a few areas need be cut away so that it will rock down into the forearm.

i bet it would take no longer than about 5 minutes to do if i had the tubes.

not to mention i believe it would give the saiga an interesting look!

my mak90 tube DOES fit my saiga 308, nice and snuggly.

only problem would be fitting it into the forearm on the saiga.

has anyone seen that ati stock setup for the sks?

the gas tube handguard actually fits down into the forearm.

maybe the saiga forearm can be relieved a bit so that the ak tube can be seated down into the forearm.

actually it seems all you would have to do is cut some slots into the forearm so that the retainer on the tube will just slide down into the forearm. i believe that i'll try this one out.

hope i can get another forearm if i screw this one up.

Did you actually FULLY LATCH the MAK90 gas tube into place

or just 'trial fit' it without latching it down completely? I'd be

surprised if you were able to fully latch it down without a LOT

of filing/fitting.

it did latch down completely, without the forearm on.

i'm gonna order some of those gas tubes tonight if they still have some.

once i get em in i'm gonna get started.

Nice...

I fit a Bulgarian AK47 vented gas tube to my 308 and it took a

LOT of fitting (filing). It wasn't anywhere close in shape to the

original Saiga gas tube. 90 minutes later... It fit. Definitely

not worth the hassle if a Chinese gas tube is drop-in.

Man that is sooo cool to know there are more metalhedz on this forum!! Also way cool to know there are some younger guys out there listeneing to something other than hippity hop. It just keeps getting better! :super::super::super:

Hey pistonring I think I would like that polished bolt carrier look on my S 410. Could I get you to blast mine? I could do the dremmel polishing.

Most of the AK gas tubes that I have seen pictures of are in the 10:00 and 2:00 positions on top of the tube. The Ultimak gas tube has the holes on the bottom. It doesent matter where the holes are as long as they are in line with the raised flutes inside the tube. The holes dont really affect muzzle climb that I have noticed. The felt recoil is slightly less, and the accuracy has improved noticably. It will increase the rate of rapid fire, but most importantly, it will keep the action 75% cleaner than a solid tube. I put the holes on the side because I did not want any blow back trapped in the Saiga's foregrip. I have not yet noticed any residue at all on the outside of the rifle after 200 rounds. I hope this helps.

I did not notice an increase in noise, but I always wear ear protection (yea, I know im a pussy) so there may be a slight increase or decrease. I have seen others report of increased noise and muzzle flash. I have not noticed either. I did however notice that my accuracy has improved slightly (not dramatically) and the rifle stays WAYYYY cleaner and cooler in the tube/piston area. When rapid or "bump" fireing I have noticed a dramatic increase in rate of fire. I hardly ever rapid fire my rifle, but the few times that I have were memorable. I think the vents allow the piston to return faster. This is my honest range report, I hope it helps. I was really hoping for an increased flash and noticable noise. :devil:

• 1 year later...
Ok, it rained all day here, so I took my tube to the shop and ported it as per Lollygaggers measurements. First I measured off the front edge of the tube and lightly marked the first hole(8mm). Then I measured out 32mm with a caliper to the spot where I wanted the last hole and lightly marked it with a scribe.

Hi, when you say that you measured out 8mm for the first hole then 32mm to the last hole. From what point did you measure the 32mm? was it from the 8mm first hole or from the start of the tube?

thanks

Stu