So I just picked up my Saiga 7.62...

I just picked it up. Looking it over. I'll be reading the manual (or trying to. How about that crappy translation! LOL) and breaking it down. Since this is my first AK type rifle I was wondering if you chaps can give me some tips about cleaning/lubing it up before first firing. How many rounds to break it in. General AK wisdom to help out an AK noob.

ETA: I've downloaded several manuals, US Army AK manual, CAA Saiga manual, etc. I intend to read them all.

Thanks in advance!

HC

Edited by hepcat85
Just make sure there's no packing peanuts in the barrel.

It's a Kalashnikov.

So no break in period. Just clear the barrel, load her up and commence firing. Sounds good so far.

How about lubrication? Do I need to do any thing extra?

FYI - I intend to keep it stock, no conversion. I've got a Gilbert rail for my EoTech, and that's really the only extra. Though a 2 point tac sling would be good.

I just picked it up. Looking it over. I'll be reading the manual (or trying to. How about that crappy translation! LOL) and breaking it down. Since this is my first AK type rifle I was wondering if you chaps can give me some tips about cleaning/lubing it up before first firing. How many rounds to break it in. General AK wisdom to help out an AK noob.

ETA: I've downloaded several manuals, US Army AK manual, CAA Saiga manual, etc. I intend to read them all.

Thanks in advance!

HC

They posted some good replies to this same exact post on BarfDotcom today :killer:

But yeah, treat her as well as you would treat any other rifle of yours and she will last forever. Swab the barrel, then after you clean out the grease from manufacturing and packing you are going to want to lube up the rails and bolt carrier, maybe a dab on the trigger parts and shoot a few rounds. Swab the barrel and shoot some more. Take her home, clean her up and put her away dry. These rifles are not finicky and will provide you with one enjoyable shooting experience after another.

Edited by moxie1c

Here's what I suggest:

1) Go to Academy Sports (or your local equivalent) and get a few things:

*) A Hoppe's .30 cal. Boresnake kit (for the 7.62 or .308) ($19) comes with Hoppe's #9 Bore Solvent & Hoppe's Gun Oil (get the .22 cal. kit for the .223)

*) buy A Can of Break Free CPL spray ($(4)

*) A Hoppe's Borelight ($5)

2) Learn how to 'Field Strip' the AK-47 (basically you are removing the dust cover, the recoil spring, the bolt assembly and finally, the gas tube)

3) After Initial Inspection, Spray some CLP inside the reciever in the FCG area & the Bolt parts & Spring & wipe down. If you like, run a cotton cloth or patches thru the gas tube with Hoppe's #9. Reassemble.

4) Now, Lock the bolt Open (pull back handle & depress the BTO lever)

5) Take your Boresnake and spray some Hoppe's #9 Bore solvent on the brass brushes on the Snake. Then glob on some of the Hoppe's Gun Oil near the end of the Snake.

6) Placing the gun Muzzle down, Insert the brass weight on the pull string of the Snake into the CHAMBER. Feed it thru until it comes out the muzzle, grab it turning the rifle Muzzle Up and Pull it thru the Barrel. (you may need the supplied handle, since the 1st couple of pulls can be hard)

7) Inspect your Bore with the Bore Light. Should be Very Shiny. (if not, repeat the Boresnake treatment ONE Time) You are Ready to Fire a Round.

8) Fire ONE Round. Repeat the Boresnake treatment as described.

9) Fire Three Rounds. Repeat the Boresnake.

10) Fire 5 Rounds. Repeat the Boresnake. Keep Cleaning the Bore after every 5-10 rounds until you have fired 60-75 Rounds.

Now, You have a Barrel that has been 'Broken In'. What You did was let the bullets shave off the very tiny Burrs that were left by the Manufacturing Process. These Burrs would have been 'collection' areas for Copper Build-Up from the jackets of the bullets, Thus Affecting the Accuracy of Your Barrel.

I did this on my New .223 recently, and it is a real 'Tack Driver' - At 50 yds., With Iron Sights, I am Very Close to the accuracy of my Marlin 22 Mag with a 10x Scope! I believe you should try this, it's really an easy break-in, just keep pulling the snake thru (don't use ANY CLEANING RODS - you'll just F/U the Crown). Plus, now you'll have about All You Need to keep the gun Clean from here on out!

Good Luck!

Edited by BullShark012