Scared to buy one of these...

In 2003 I saw the Saiga .223 in a gunshop and purchased it. Bought 100 rnds of .223 ammo, and took it all home. Set up a target at about 75 yards, loaded the ten round mag and emptied it. Removed the magazine, loaded ten more rounds. Emptied again. Repeat, until all 100 rounds had been fired. As i went to put it back in the box, i looked down the top and THE BARREL HAD WARPED!!! I was pissed! Ended up selling it to a pawnshop. I read nothing but positive reviews of this rifle and wonder if maybe they were built a little differently at that time. So my question is, given my experience with the .223 and my desire to purchase an AK platform rifle thats easily modded, should I take a gamble on the Saiga 7.62??

Edited by VigilantWolf
In 2003 I saw the Saiga .223 in a gunshop and purchased it. Bought 100 rnds of .223 ammo, and took it all home. Set up a target at about 75 yards, loaded the ten round mag and emptied it. Removed the magazine, loaded ten more rounds. Emptied again. Repeat, until all 100 rounds had been fired. As i went to put it back in the box, i looked down the top and THE BARREL HAD WARPED!!! I was pissed! Ended up selling it to a pawnshop. I read nothing but positive reviews of this rifle and wonder if maybe they were built a little differently at that time. So my question is, given my experience with the .223 and my desire to purchase an AK platform rifle thats easily modded, should I take a gamble on the Saiga 7.62??

saiga, are a risky gun to buy, but like any risk, there is potential reward. the russians seriously lack quality control. I would not be surprised if the barrel came warped from factory.

But when you get one that is cherry, it is really an amazing gun.

Why didn't you send it back to EAA? They probably would have replaced it for free. Like anything else mechanical, Saigas can have problems. Every major firearm manufacturer has had a recall or made a faulty product, sometimes with fatal flaws.

Edited by Havoc308

Na I checked it pretty thoroughly before buying, so it couldnt have come from the factory that way. And I had just gotten into shooting and was not aware I could have sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced. So you guys think I just got a "lemon" huh? Well, thanks, you convinced me! Time to go spend $300.

Na I checked it pretty thoroughly before buying, so it couldnt have come from the factory that way. And I had just gotten into shooting and was not aware I could have sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced. So you guys think I just got a "lemon" huh? Well, thanks, you convinced me! Time to go spend $300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peEDW_EeII

That may or may not be a converted saiga 7.62x39 :angel:

It may or may not have melted a set of handguards :angel:

Barrel is dead straight on it though :super:

I got this in my emails today.

"We currently have a good supply of Russian American Armory Saiga 7.62x39 16" rifles in stock and are selling them for $319.95

through our website at

www.ddsranch.com "

This is where I bought my last one. Good people to deal with and I got a DIMPLED receiver and no cross-hatched box.

louielouie

saigas are a great rifle, before you mod or "convert" shoot the rifle and make sure everything is kosher, if there are problems like you have mentioned before, i'm sure RAA would gladly fix or replace your rifle, then mod away =D I don't regret buying my gun, i regret not buying more when they were cheaper =(

"We currently have a good supply of Russian American Armory Saiga 7.62x39 16" rifles in stock and are selling them for $319.95

through our website at

www.ddsranch.com "

This is where I bought my last one. Good people to deal with and I got a DIMPLED receiver and no cross-hatched box.

louielouie

Not to cut in here, but exactly is the "DIMPLED receiver" and "no cross-hatched box"? Help out an AK noob. :angel:

Edited by hepcat85

through our website at

www.ddsranch.com "

louielouie

Not to cut in here, but exactly is the "DIMPLED receiver" and "no cross-hatched box"? Help out an AK noob. :angel:

Check this out, see if it will answer your question:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24737

through our website at

www.ddsranch.com "

louielouie

Check this out, see if it will answer your question:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24737

Thanks! I'm one step further away from AK noob. :smoke: