i'm in the process of converting my S-20. everything was going as planned until i installed the tapco g2 single hook trigger group. dry firing was fine until i checked the safety.

when i pull the trigger with the safety engaged i hear a click. when i slide the safety lever down the hammer falls.

this is my first ak, but i understand the mechanics of the firing system. seems like the safety is too short to block the trigger movement, when i pull the trigger, the "disconnector?" (sorry if thats the wrong name) is released, but trigger hasn't rotated enough for it to release the hammer until the safety completely is out of the way.

in the factory set up, i noticed that safety worked fine with the safety lever fully pushed up to the dust cover, but if i pulled the safety lever down about half way and pulled the trigger hard, they safety lever would go down a bit and the hammer would fall.

did i get a midget safety lever? the gun is new, only 40 slugs run through it.

i can post pics or a video clip is that helps.

i'm in the process of converting my S-20. everything was going as planned until i installed the tapco g2 single hook trigger group. dry firing was fine until i checked the safety.

when i pull the trigger with the safety engaged i hear a click. when i slide the safety lever down the hammer falls.

this is my first ak, but i understand the mechanics of the firing system. seems like the safety is too short to block the trigger movement, when i pull the trigger, the "disconnector?" (sorry if thats the wrong name) is released, but trigger hasn't rotated enough for it to release the hammer until the safety completely is out of the way.

in the factory set up, i noticed that safety worked fine with the safety lever fully pushed up to the dust cover, but if i pulled the safety lever down about half way and pulled the trigger hard, they safety lever would go down a bit and the hammer would fall.

did i get a midget safety lever? the gun is new, only 40 slugs run through it.

i can post pics or a video clip is that helps.

half way down is the setting for full auto in the original ak, safe is only all the way up.

Out of 4 guns that I've converted, one of them does this with the G2 trigger, I'm going to put a bead of weld on the bottom of the enagement surface on the safety lever (where it engages the trigger) to build it up some and then file and shape it down to where it engages properly. With the safety in the "safe" position you can use a set of feeler gauges to see how much clearance there is between the top of the trigger and the bottom of the safety.

Out of 4 guns that I've converted, one of them does this with the G2 trigger, I'm going to put a bead of weld on the bottom of the enagement surface on the safety lever (where it engages the trigger) to build it up some and then file and shape it down to where it engages properly. With the safety in the "safe" position you can use a set of feeler gauges to see how much clearance there is between the top of the trigger and the bottom of the safety.

thanks for the reply. are you 0 for 1 using g2 triggers or has another one worked out okay? welding a bead sounds like the best solution. i wonder if it could be a tapco design flaw? eyeballing the space with the safety engaged, it looks like about a 1.5-2mm gap between the trigger and safety.

I don't think it's a problem with the Tapco design per se. Rather, I suspect it has something to do with the funky FCGs that Saigas come with from the factory. Because those FCGs are not standard AK FCGs, the safety "wing" dimensions that work with them may not always work properly with an FCG made to work in a normal AK arrangement. The problem is fairly common with Saiga .308's. Dinzag solved the problem by adding a modification to the list of what he already did with the Tapco G2 FCG for the .308s.

i decided to go the cheap/easy route on my fcg conversion and used e-clips to secure the pins. i see there's a bit of movement. i'm going to try another style of clips before i order a retaining plate and see if that solves it.

one more thing i noticed after i posted this thread: is when i install the bolt/carrier and rack it, the hammer doesn't lock down like it should. makes me think my problem has more to do with the pins/fcg than the safety mechanism.

we'll see how it goes.