7.62 by 39 to 5.45 soviet conversion

Takeing my saiga 7.62 39 and converting it to 5.45 soviet sort of an ak-74 convert I guess, (thats what I plan on anyway) Finished the pistol grip fir control group move, but as for the caliber swap I'm makeing it up as I go, anyone done anything like this before If so can you point me to any information onit.

I know everyone out there is probably just screaming Buy a 74, but I'm doing this for the hell of it and i have a good bit of cash lying around, (I'm a bit of an amateur gunsmith) So Its not a big deal but any help would be appreciated.

Edited by BlkWaterelite128
Takeing my saiga 7.62 39 and converting it to 5.45 soviet sort of an ak-74 convert I guess, (thats what I plan on anyway) Finished the pistol grip fir control group move, but as for the caliber swap I'm makeing it up as I go, anyone done anything like this before If so can you point me to any information onit.

I know everyone out there is probably just screaming Buy a 74, but I'm doing this for the hell of it and i have a good bit of cash lying around, (I'm a bit of an amateur gunsmith) So Its not a big deal but any help would be appreciated.

I have built many AKs from kits.

IMO you would be way better off buying a wasr2 or something in the AK74 family.

Here are a few things you will need to do.

Buy a new bolt that will handle the cartridge.

Buy a front trunnion and barrel. All three should be matching numbers due to head space issues.

Weld material to the ejector. 5.45x39 receiver ejectors are longer because the bolts are smaller.

Remove all of the rivets and junk the front trunnion and rivet/screw a 5.45x39 one in its place.

Can't do that with the barrel in so you will need a press/all thread device.

Install the barrel pin which requires a press and an expensive jig or customized air hammer bits.

Heavily modify the mag well.

The list goes on and on. The tools and press alone will cost more than buying a 5.45x39 rifle.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by akDave

I know how stupid this all sounds believe me, I own 2 wasr-2 and I'm pulling all the parts i need off of one of them and I really just want to have one of those monster projects that frustrates the hell out of you lying around.

I work for a private security corporation and have access to just about every smithing tool you've ever heard and some you haven't. I put all my cash into stupid stuff like this I guess that makes me an idiot.

Thanks for the list Dave I didn't think about the ejector weld Appreciate the feedback.

Edited by BlkWaterelite128
  • 2 weeks later...