Whats the best shotgun (non saiga)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Alright, SO what is your thoughts on best non saiga 12 gauge gun?

• Mossberg 500
    • Remington 870
    • Mossberg 930 (autoloaders)
    • Remington's autoloader
    • the Benelli autoloader
    • FN police tact

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winchester 1300 Defender.   I've used the M1014 and it wasn't bad...would have preferred a saiga because the mag option makes slug changes easier. The M1014 does allow for 9 rounds in standard 2 3/4

Key     because that lazy shotgun ain't going to hold itself up

Ithaca M37 Bottom feed - bottom eject ALL STEEL construction No disconector on pre-1976 models (post '76 can use earliers trigger groups) slickest pump action around

Posted Images

My choice was a Remington 1100 due to the balance, solid construction, controls, and having been around for decades. The only negatives are requiring more cleaning (from what I hear) and you've gotta be careful not to tear or stretch the barrel seal O-ring when doing so(no biggie).

even though its an 870 clone you should put the h&r pardner protector.

+1.

Everything but barrels interchange with an 870 (mag extensions fit, but won't be flush with the barrel). They're cheaper, built like a tank, and you'd be hard pressed to find any negative reviews of them. (Besides the "But they're made in China!!" line)

I don't think there is ONE best being the different uses that a shotgun can be put to.

What I shoot at a turkey shoot is a bull barreled 13 pound bolt action, not as well suited as an 1100 20 ga for a bird hunt.

My Fabarm Red Lion is great at clays but lacks capacity for 3 gun that an 1100 or Benelli can bring to the table.

For defense any good pump is a good choice.

Side by sides and 1897s are fun for Cowboy Action

If the question was you can only have (1) to do everything (something I hope my wife never thinks up :lolol: ) with I'd go with a Remington auto but I miss most of the others.

I was just looking at this post and came to the realization of I’ve got a couple of shotguns more than I thought I did. May need to thin the herd down some, did it a while back and it grew back. Wonder if I could stay with a Saiga 12 and 20 for 3 gun, then a Remington 12 (various barrels) and 20 for clays / skeet?

Edited by Saiga20mags.com
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

heh, guess i left out winchester and some others, but thanks for the heads up, i'm tryin to figure out a SHTF shotgun besides the S12, i'll grab a S12 when i can, but i need a quick cheap tank to toss in my truck and keep around the house, plus everyone knows the familar sound of the pump action (even tho i prefer semi auto...)

i admit i have not had much experience with a wide range of shotguns, but i have had a mossberg 500A for about a decade, and the thing has worked perfectly. solid, reliable, and affordable

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, i wanna know what you think and why =D :smoke:

Too many options out there to name a "best". I like my Benelli (Nova 12ga w/mag xtension and ghost rings), but I wouldn't call it or any other shotgun "the best" Like someone else said, as long as it goes bang every time you pull the triggeryou should be OK. :killer:

870 hands down.

Smooth. Good ergonomics. Simple to disassemble. Rugged. Parts are available everywhere (not that you'll need them). Dead nuts reliable. Eats pretty much everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can't include pump-guns with semi-autos in a poll and simply ask "what's bestest?"; they're different animals.

Anyway, we all know that the S-12 is king of the semi-auto, (and full-auto, fuck the AA-12), hill, so this poll should really be asking "what's the best pump-action 12 ga?". Even that question is flawed, since their are different price ranges and different purposes for different models, but anyway...

I choose "G"; the Winchester 1300 Defender. Most people who have had the chance to fire one side-by-side with the Rem 870 and/or Moss 500 will agree. The Win 1300 has the best safety location, (front of the triggerguard), and the smoothest, fastest pump-action.

It's too bad they don't make em in New Haven any more.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

There's a couple of Street Sweepers for sale at US Auto Weapons here in Phoenix. Been on the rack for about 5 years it seems so no rush ;)

I like the 870 from the list given. I had a Benelli M1 Super 90 that was pretty slick but I like the Saiga a LOT more, far more options to set it up like I like and AKs rock.

I've owned a 500 and a 590 and still have a bullpup 500. Great guns I just prefer the slicker action of the 870 and the better trigger.

Winchester 1300 Defender.

I've used the M1014 and it wasn't bad...would have preferred a saiga because the mag option makes slug changes easier. The M1014 does allow for 9 rounds in standard 2 3/4 shells though.

But the Winchester's action is smooth as silk and it too is built like a tank.

I like to sit there sometimes and just stroke it (I mean the shotgun you pervs!)

Agreed! I have a couple and I really like them. You can fit like 10 of the shorty shells in them and I don't know of to many shotties that will cycle those. The 1300 does it flawlessly. It's also fairly easy to empty the tube into your hand without cycling it. I've gotten used to mine and really like it.

• 3 months later...

Kinda disappointing to not see Ithaca Model 37 in the list. :unsure: I guess they did take a break for a while there and lost some name recognition. I recently purchased one of their slug guns (Hogslayer). Let me tell you that monster is rock solid and dead nuts accurate. It differs from the Deerslayer by having a shorter 20" rifled barrel and the capacity has been upped to 6+1, still with a 3" chamber. I plan on heading out with it to the lease for some of the large boars I'm hearing about in the area.

I'm considering modding the Hogslayer to look similar to the Deerslayer by installing the wood furniture with the thumb hole stock, weaver rail (for a red dot sight) and maybe compensating the barrel (those high end slugs and sabots kick like crazy!!).

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd already commented on this, but my favorite non-auto shotgun for defensive use is the Winchester 1897. No trigger interruptor, so hold the trigger and cycle the pump. It was so nasty that the Germans complained about it during WW1!

I want an '87 lever-gun, too, but that's just for fun.

MINE

I’m culling the herd again soon and will end up with just a left handed 1100, I’ve never had a bad shotgun out of a butt load of different brands and models but I always seem to come back to the 1100 after a while. Mines the best cause it's mine and I'm the one shooting it don't care which one. smile.png

Edited by going12220
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted Mossberg 500, but that's Mossberg's baseline pump. I wouldnt have one of those.

The Mossberg 590 is what the Military and LE use.

It functions the same as the 500 but It has the stronger internals.

This 590 was the 1st thing I bought when I moved away from home (I think I paid $330 for it back 10+ years ago)

Its the base 590 model, but just look at it...

IMG_0817.jpg

...Ultra Reliable 20" shotgun with a 9-Round tube (8+1)! ...How ya gonna phuck with that!

Although Im partial to the 590 because I own one, Im sure most all pumps are very reliable. Anyone with a higher shot capacity would be fine

• 1 month later...