Whats the best shotgun (non saiga)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Alright, SO what is your thoughts on best non saiga 12 gauge gun?

• Mossberg 500
    • Remington 870
    • Mossberg 930 (autoloaders)
    • Remington's autoloader
    • the Benelli autoloader
    • FN police tact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winchester 1300 Defender.   I've used the M1014 and it wasn't bad...would have preferred a saiga because the mag option makes slug changes easier. The M1014 does allow for 9 rounds in standard 2 3/4

Key     because that lazy shotgun ain't going to hold itself up

Ithaca M37 Bottom feed - bottom eject ALL STEEL construction No disconector on pre-1976 models (post '76 can use earliers trigger groups) slickest pump action around

Posted Images

Again - ITHACA M-37....

All steel (except for the frot sight, furnature and occassionally, the magazine cap)... The un-engraved- slab-sided (DSPS and/or M&P) models are just fricken awesome in terms of their slickness and reliability... Duck scene guns can be a bit "gritty", but much better than anything else, IMHO. Money well spent. Rem 870's and Win 1200/1300/1400's, and Mossbergs are fine guns... but an Ithaca is something else...

Seriously...

Macbeau sends...

• 2 months later...

I have teo Mossberg 500s .... One with an 18.5" barrel for HP and another with a 28" barrel for skeet .......

Did a lot of research and the general consensus that Mossberg is a dependable shotgun clean or dirty .......

• 4 weeks later...

The Remington 870 is the finest pump shotgun in the world.

The military bought Mossbergs in Viet Nam because they were cheap and they needed a lot, fast.

The 870 is the pump of choice for every Federal agency I know of.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

See the 870, and raise by noting that Abomination isn't the only monster shotgun on my buildlist--how many of you here have heard of a Remington 1740?

Edited by Diamondback

Remington 870 is the standard with more local, state and federal law enforcement agencies then any other shotgun and it has been like that for years.

I have a Stainless Steel Marine 870 Police Magnum with a Remington Folding stock and a Surefire forestock as the duty companion to my Stainless Steel DSA Para-FAL.

Both have served me well under rough conditions.

The jail I I work at just got a bunch of those with short barrels, but I think their purchase of guns has more to do with budgeting, insurance and politics than with the best gun. If you have a better gun, insurers don't want to offer good rates, because they are not a known quantity. you know, all of that stuff about "the evil that you know"... They don't necessarily buy the best gun for the best shooter, they buy the gun least likely to cause expensive problems in the hands of whoever the worst Corrections Officer is. They only allow a choice of 4 handguns and the one they supply is the least liked by the officers. They know there are better guns out there, but these are on the list of approved guns by our insurer and they had to pick 4 models of pistol. The issue weapon is an H&K plastic gun, and you can choose to supply a M9 or Glock, I can't think of what the 4th choice is. They can have any of the above in 9mm or 40 s&w.

I haven't shot a lot of pump guns that I could name, but I didn't care for the Remingtons I have used, our Winchester 1300 Was ok, but not suited to our purposes and the one I liked best was a Smith and Wesson stainless police. Apparently other people had problems with them, but the one in my family runs great and smooth after years of abuse and has a great feel. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Edited by GunFun

Winchester 1300 Defender.

I've used the M1014 and it wasn't bad...would have preferred a saiga because the mag option makes slug changes easier. The M1014 does allow for 9 rounds in standard 2 3/4 shells though.

But the Winchester's action is smooth as silk and it too is built like a tank.

I like to sit there sometimes and just stroke it (I mean the shotgun you pervs!)

+1 for the Winnie 1300 De-fen-Do. I own it, I love it. That action gets smoother every time I shoot it.

Its Straight BUTTA!! :super:

Good choice, Gunny.

It depends what you want to use it for. Nothing beats a nice O/U if you're busting clays, for instance.

My "other" 12 gauge is a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 28" fixed mod choke barrel. Picked it up at a pawn shop for cheap, and it's pure quality. I like it better than my Saiga for wingshooting, clays and such, but it's no contest if I'm hunting goblins.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, SO what is your thoughts on best non saiga 12 gauge gun?

I would have an 870 before any Saiga. Had a Mossberg 500 and it had feed problems after a couple years, gave it to my son, I guess he fixed it and still has it.

I own a few other shotguns nicer than the cheap 870 I traded for years ago. For me the 870 is a starting point. If I lost them all, that will be the first one I replace.

I should shoot shottys more often.....

The 870 still gets my nod, but I still think the simplicity and old time feel of a side-by-side is cool too.

coach_supreme_large_nickel.jpg

this one has probably been posted before, but i still think it's funny as hell with an Aimpoint on a side-by-side, and at the same time, somewhat badass.

double_defense_large_blue_12.jpg

I think i'm motivated enough to go ahead and put a Trijicon ACOG on my Mosin Nagant now. :)

Er, yah, sure there... I'm thinking of putting a rail, red dot, folding stock, 3 point sling, bipod, and breacher barrel on my old CVA muzzleloader, but I gotta finish the 4 color camo paint job first...

you'd still have room for these attachments as well....

9900.jpg

79%20Chainsaw%20Gun.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Winchester 1300 for all purpose, I think it's smoother than the 870. Ithica model 12 for hunting, I like the solid machined receiver and down eject features, no after market support though. I like Mossberg's safety on the back of the receiver. As for semi's, we're on this site for a reason...no contest. Two maybe 3 converted S-12's for the price of one Benelli/Berreta.

• 1 month later...

I am a firm mossberg fan. I do not hate Remington by any means. The Maverick88 fits nicely for me. I've shot an 870 and didn't hate it. The slide release isn't in a spot I feel comfortable with. However, I do give credit where credit is due. I wish the 500 series were able to have magazine extensions. Thats a nice thing I do like about the 870. I use alot of Remington ammo in my Mossberg shotgun. :)

Simple, affordable, and works. Mossberg 500.

I can outfit 3-4 men with a 500 for the price of one benelli. A perp. or an illegal immigrant couldn't care any less about the cosmetics of the shotty that delivered him to his grave . Haven't yet had the privilege of owning an 870 but is on the list.