Mounting a night vision scope on my Saiga

Yeah, I'd lean toward the metal one over the plastic, just for the sake of it being more rigid and likely to hold true over time.

I've got one of the Belarus-made side-mount rails, and it tends to work itself loose after a few shots, which gets really aggravating. Kinda hard to zero a 'scope and keep it zeroed if it's moving around on you!

Mike

Yeah, I'd lean toward the metal one over the plastic, just for the sake of it being more rigid and likely to hold true over time.

I've got one of the Belarus-made side-mount rails, and it tends to work itself loose after a few shots, which gets really aggravating. Kinda hard to zero a 'scope and keep it zeroed if it's moving around on you!

Mike

Thanks, Mike; I'm tending to lean that way as well. My NV scope is "a load" for any mount, and I sure don't want it flopping around on the rail.

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

Mike

100_0611.jpg

on a low side mount its still pretty high. But I shoot right handed left eyed so its perfect for me.

Thanks, dyi; I've decided on the full monty from MAA. Figure it gives me the most latitude in working the eye-relief issue. I'll report back once I get it up and running.

Mike

I think this will be your best solution to making a night vision Saiga....

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Saiga/S...eTop+Rail+Rifle

Note this rail is long--I suggest that you use a Eotech mounted in the front of the rail, and then a "night vision device" (not a scope) behind it.

The Eotech allows the use of a wide range of night vision devices behind the scope.

The Eotech is mounted permantely, and the night vision device can be snapped on and off--allowing the weapon to be used day or night.

During the day a magnifier can be snapped on, and it becomes a multi-power scope.

Check out Eotech's web-site.

When I read of this capability--I just said to myself wow, this is the way to go. I saw an Eotech on a AR15 a few weeks ago. Man this thing is sweet!

It has a 1 MOA dot--which is more than enought accuracy for a Saiga.

I have a Saiga with a side rail mount--and I can't really see mounting a long-tube night scope on the thing. Too much flailing around if you ask me.

The Eotech solution, along with this new rail could be the best solution.

ST

I think this will be your best solution to making a night vision Saiga....

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Saiga/S...eTop+Rail+Rifle

I think you should not mix people up.

The Gilberts link you linked to is Genration 1 product and nothing like what Scott has coming out now. Gilberts bought up a boatload of 'em back in the day.

This is what Scott has in store for us: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=28712&hl=

I suggest patience for Scotts next release. It'lll be worth it.

I suggest patience for Scotts next release. It'lll be worth it.

Sorry, I didn't scroll down to the bottom of the first page. Ooops. There is a guy there with an Eotech and night-vision setup. Sweet.

But the rail system was the one I linked above I belive--there is a better, newer one coming out which this guy above mentions. And somewhere else on this board there is a thread about it being tested with photos. It looks way superior.

Anyways that Eotech (get the shorter model) and the night vision piece behind it it the best way to go. I probably cost as much as a good NV scope (maybe a tad more) but you got a whole lot more flexibility with this rig... you can take off the NV and use it for daytime without any loss of Zero. And like I said, with a magnifier it converts to a day-scope.

I like the Eotech because you cannot be seen with it at night--it has zero detectability by other NV scope that can see eyepiece output. There's a switch you throw and it goes into passive mode.

ST

Hello

I may be under-complexifying, but I believe this gentleman just wants something simple and sturdy to night-hunt hogs....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

guido2,

My main objective was getting a simple, sturdy mount for my NV scope so I can make life miserable for the local hog population. But I do appreciate all the input and suggestions! I went from wondering if I could find a way to mount this scope to wondering which one of the many alternatives will best serve my purpose. I do like having options, so, thanks, everyone!

Mike

Hello

I may be under-complexifying, but I believe this gentleman just wants something simple and sturdy to night-hunt hogs....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

guido2,

My main objective was getting a simple, sturdy mount for my NV scope so I can make life miserable for the local hog population. But I do appreciate all the input and suggestions! I went from wondering if I could find a way to mount this scope to wondering which one of the many alternatives will best serve my purpose. I do like having options, so, thanks, everyone!

Mike

I got my rail in the mail from MAA this morning and got it mounted on the rifle. Hope to get out tomorrow and try it out. I'll give a report and try to get some pictures of the mount for anyone who might be interested. I probably won't put the night vision scope on it until later. The NV scope is a major pain in the lower back to get set up and sighted in, since you have to do it at night! (DUH?) So there's lots of trying and spying, running back and forth between target and bench, tweaking adjusting knobs and using some of my semi-retired Navy language to get it just right! I want to get a reliable reload down pat first, then once I've got an accurate load to work with, I'll move the NV from the Ruger Ranch Rifle to the Saiga and start through the process.

Mike

Hello

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

guido2,

Mike

I got my rail in the mail from MAA this morning and got it mounted on the rifle. Hope to get out tomorrow and try it out. I'll give a report and try to get some pictures of the mount for anyone who might be interested. I probably won't put the night vision scope on it until later. The NV scope is a major pain in the lower back to get set up and sighted in, since you have to do it at night! (DUH?) So there's lots of trying and spying, running back and forth between target and bench, tweaking adjusting knobs and using some of my semi-retired Navy language to get it just right! I want to get a reliable reload down pat first, then once I've got an accurate load to work with, I'll move the NV from the Ruger Ranch Rifle to the Saiga and start through the process.

Mike

Here's the Saiga with the rail and a tritium scope mounted on it. It's going to work nicely with my NV scope and any other optic I want to put on it!

saigarail1.jpg

saigarail2.jpg

saigarail3.jpg

Mike