I heartily suggest you do your research if you buy a non-Israeli made Galil.

Really.

That's the first CON I ran into with the Galil.

Any reputable company's/builders that you know of?

Or a source for good parts kits and receivers?

I have both an IMI Galil (AA 392 - 16" ARM) and a 74 (Tantal). I much prefer the Galil. It's a tad on the heavy side, but better accuacy and utter reliability, not to mention more of a "cool" factor. I like the sights on the Galil better as well.

I have no experience with the newer "US" Galil's (Golani) but I have heard stories of poor workmanship on the receivers and assembly. Check out the GunPlumber site at AZ Response Systems.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/note...ageorfgalil.htm

Macbeau sends...

Any thoughts on building from a kit using a US barrel, receiver?
What kind of kit? AK74 or Galil ?

Galil.

I have both an IMI Galil (AA 392 - 16" ARM) and a 74 (Tantal). I much prefer the Galil. It's a tad on the heavy side, but better accuacy and utter reliability, not to mention more of a "cool" factor. I like the sights on the Galil better as well.

I have no experience with the newer "US" Galil's (Golani) but I have heard stories of poor workmanship on the receivers and assembly. Check out the GunPlumber site at AZ Response Systems.

Macbeau sends...

I cannot recommend a US made receiver to build your Galil on.

There is only one maker of these, and a potentially critical defect has been found in their manufacture.

The manufacturer will not answer any questions concerning this 'defect', rather diverting commentary to other topics.

This, to me, sends warning bells to max.

This info is easily findable on one of the dedicated AK discussion forums.

Any thoughts on building from a kit using a US barrel, receiver?
What kind of kit? AK74 or Galil ?

Galil.

Macbeau sends...

I cannot recommend a US made receiver to build your Galil on.

There is only one maker of these, and a potentially critical defect has been found in their manufacture.

The manufacturer will not answer any questions concerning this 'defect', rather diverting commentary to other topics.

This, to me, sends warning bells to max.

This info is easily findable on one of the dedicated AK discussion forums.

Sounds like I'm shopping for a used IMI Galil. Whats a good price LNIB? 90% 80% 70%

Sounds like I'm shopping for a used IMI Galil. Whats a good price LNIB? 90% 80% 70%
Nothing wrong with an AK74 clone:

aks-74_468.JPG

or two :devil:

ak-74m_619.JPG

Sadly - I have to agree with nalioth... :cryss:

I bought my Galil NIB in 1988 for $750 (with tax) and that included 3x 35 rounders and 1x 50 rounder and sling, manual, box, etc...

However, in 2008 - Any IMI Galil is gonna run anywhere from $2000 - $3500; and you may (or may not) get a couple of mags and, if lucky, another accessory or two.

I also have a Norinco BWK-92 (stamped, Chinese, .223 AK -a la AK-84(s)) that I converted using a Galil AR forearm & Flash Hider and an Ace stock. But, it requires propriatary Norinco .223 mags...

Again, you probably won't get an Israeli made Galil (in any condition) for under $2000. Todays money would be better spent on a reasonable substitute (like a Valmet, which - for some reason - seem to go for about 1/2 of what a Galil runs, or a converted Saiga .223 or an Arsenal milled .223...) I'd avoid the potential heartache of a ORF/Century Galil, just on principle....

Macbeau sends...

Nothing wrong with an AK74 clone:

aks-74_468.JPG

or two :devil:

ak-74m_619.JPG

Sadly - I have to agree with nalioth... :cryss:

I bought my Galil NIB in 1988 for $750 (with tax) and that included 3x 35 rounders and 1x 50 rounder and sling, manual, box, etc...

However, in 2008 - Any IMI Galil is gonna run anywhere from $2000 - $3500; and you may (or may not) get a couple of mags and, if lucky, another accessory or two.

I also have a Norinco BWK-92 (stamped, Chinese, .223 AK -a la AK-84(s)) that I converted using a Galil AR forearm & Flash Hider and an Ace stock. But, it requires propriatary Norinco .223 mags...

Again, you probably won't get an Israeli made Galil (in any condition) for under $2000. Todays money would be better spent on a reasonable substitute (like a Valmet, which - for some reason - seem to go for about 1/2 of what a Galil runs, or a converted Saiga .223 or an Arsenal milled .223...) I'd avoid the potential heartache of a ORF/Century Galil, just on principle....

Macbeau sends...

Well I guess I'll start a Siaga 5.45 fund for a AK-74 clone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope someone comes out with a high quality US Galil receiver. Maybe it will come befor the 5.45 Saiga.

If you can bank an IMI Galil, that would be my first choice. I had an Action Arms import that was second to none in my collection. In my experience, they sight and shoot noticeably better than any of my other AK's. I did a build on an ORF receiver pictured that did in fact have a growing headspace issue that I've taken some steps to correct-once I get the round count up I'll be able to determine if it was caused by un-even bolt lug lands in the receiver, or if the receiver is in fact soft. In either event, it also shoots exceptionally well for something that might one day be a wall hanger or parts kit.

Next choice would be a .223 Saiga build up, then the Tantal only because I have no other AK 74's to use as a baseline. If you decide to go 5.45, load up on ammo NOW before it's too late. Best bang for the buck right now.

post-1866-1218294482_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1218294708_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1218296040_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

given current ammo market and the fact my finances are always a factor.... A quality ak-74, a russian scope and several thousand rounds of surplus ammo for the price of an IMI galil .......... personally I think I would take the 74 and rathole some ammo (but then again) I am one of those weird ones that puts ati thumbhole stocks on my guns and never shoots from the hip. I don't do folding stocks or gadgets up the wasoo and do not believe coolness is a factor in selecting a rifle.........

• 5 months later...

I own both. The argument for each is persuasive.

Cheap ammo for the 74 is nice. Granted the really cheap stuff is corrosive meaning you simply HAVE to clean you guns (not a bad thing) after each range session, BUT the sights suck.

The Galil is the Mercedes Benz of the AK world. For me and mine having a 1 in 7 twist barrel that LOVES the Privi 75 grain stuff, I like the Galil more. HOWEVER the Bulgarian AKS 74 is a DAMN CLOSE second. The 74 is lighter and "handier" but the sights suck.

What I really want (and I am have one of my Galils rebuilt) is a Galil in 5.45...

Pics

GalilARM.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

The .308 Galils are notorious for cracking the bolt, I have seen it myself.

The 5.45x39mm is a fairly inexpensive round, by current standards anyway.

I prefer the Galil to the AK74, but I have always wanted one in 7.62x39mm, too heavy for a 5.56 NATO in my opinion, but a hell of a design.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote goes for the Galil. The Galil have a very good reputation with this supplier,( http://www.classicarms.us/ , Read this supplier's write up on these guns. I bought a gun from him and it was exactly as he described it. Personally, I like the rear peep sights mounted where you need them. Rear peep sights are a very desirable improvement to the AK design as they allow the shooter to better realize the accuracy of the AK rifle. Check out the high dollar Tromix AK rifles and you will see the rear peep sights and improved front sights similar to the Galil. (link) If you don't like the Galil rifle, I would dare say, you will probably be able to sell it for a nice profit in a few month.

Galil are low recoil, fast shooting and .223 ammo will always be available in the future, always. The future availability of 5.45 ammo is anybody guess.

Check out these videos:

Edited by jbremount