OK, how many people out there pack heat out on the water in a kayak, canoe or small boat? What do you carry and how do you carry it? I'm wondering myself for concealed carry when kayaking some local backwaters. Not sure how I want to do this. Thanks!

I've done this in a fanny pack on the chest under my PFD for flat water. If i'm running white water, it goes in a dry bag. I have a gerber river knife strapped to my pfd. I'm not saying this is the way to go, but just what I have done so far.

You know... I am thinking back to when I sailed a lot in college. We had some really cheap but very durable dry bags for our radios. the bags had a neck lanyard too. The shape and size of the bag would probably lent itself well to holding a 4 inch barreled revolver. Just food for thought.

Just bought a cool looking Chinook Tech fanny pack that is waterproof, well supposed to be! $22 and a water bucket test later I found it works like a wet kleenex! Calling manufacturer tomorrow and tearing them all up. Sad I bought the damn thing an hour's drive away! :angry: I did get 2 small dry bags of see through construction, regular $12 at Dunham's for under $6 each! Work great and way more room! Not good for CCW access though as they will be buried in other bags and see through....but, non the less, great find and yes, water proof!

Evaluate the threat level and carry appropriately. If this is a regular thing get a stainless pistol, otherwise dry it, clean and oil it asap after the trip. Apply a coat of carnuba wax before the trip, it works better than oil imho. Use a holster that does not hold water against the gun, kydex or similar. As far as waterproof bags go, gallon size ziplock freezer bags work pretty well and are cheap.

I've got stainless pistols and Flitz Gun Wax. I think I just may go with a fanny pack with the freezer bag and pistol. Seems like the way to go and just as fast as anything that I would buy to protect it to get it out if an emergency. My life vest is a fisherman's one with pockets but pistols imprint badly in the thin tight material. I carry a knife in there instead.

OK here's the newest. I called the 1-800 phone number listed online for Chinook Tech about the leaky fanny pack. I got my answer from 2 chinese sounding girls that sound REALLY YOUNG, we deal only with retail. Take it back to retail store. Not only did I get taken by the Chinese piece of crap, I had to deal with Chinese tech support that were no support at all, and I have to drive over an hour to take the damn thing back! SCREW CHINOOK PRODUCTS! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I wonder if it would throw the gun out of your hand, if you had to pull the trigger on a handgun that was sealed in a heavy duty freezer bag, from the pressure of the gas. Those bags are pretty strong.

I say you get a permit for it, and strap claymores to your kayak and just be done with it :)

I have stowed a pistol on my center console aluminum skiff for many years, here is what I found;

1) Wearing a gun on a small boat is out of the question. It snags on everything and gets in the way when you are constanly bending over / leaning or contorting yourself into unnatural positions while boating fish or handling gear and rigging. The gun also must be secured with a thumbstrap or retention device because the pounding of the boat will ALWAYS work it out of the holster. I have a Kydex retention holster bolted to the inside of my center console and this has solved all of my problems. If you want fast access to your gun, bags and cases are not the way to go. A gun packed away in a sealed bag is pretty much useless when you need it most. Stowing a holstered gun at the ready makes being armed more comfortable and allows you to keep a bigger gun if you want.

2) Parts on XDs and many other guns rust relatively quickly in a saltwater environment (my XD rusted alot). My Glock 23 has no signs of rust after a couple of years of being in the open on my boat in the ocean. Glocks make good boat guns, most boaters that carry a gun (in saltwater environment) use these.

3) Keep that gun concealed. This keeps law enforcement out of your business, other people "comfortable", and gives you a tactical advantage over those wishing to do you harm.

Here's another one, comes with a waterproof case, a knife, compass,emergency blankets, a survival guide, firestarter, signal mirror too. Besides, after one shot, if whatever it is isn't dead, everyone in a 500 foot radius would be deaf lol :haha:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/39971

Edited by Vultite
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you either go with a CCW type gun and hope that it sticks with you when you swim. Or you shove a cheap 22 up under the deck.

I wouldn't worry about corrosion, just start with an aluminum/plastic/stainless gun and clean it up if it happens to get wet.

A full sized sidearm would hang on things, but an IWB small framed compact would work well. A stainless 357 belly gun would also hold up well.

• 1 month later...

Something else to consider....I carry one of those cheap M1895 Nagant pistols. You can find them a pretty much any gun show. It has a lanyard that easily attatches to my harness, and I won't sustain more than an $80ish loss if I do happen to lose it. It's a smaller caliber..7.62Nagant(.32) but I mostly use it for snakes and such. I wouldn't recommend it if you live in bear country or something like that...