I have to disagree. Russian arms are designed to be abused, and continue to function. Nagant revolvers were made in such huge numbers that it's hard to lament the loss of several thousand, much less one. I've been meaning to pick a few up, but I'm always working back-to-back doubles when the gun shows are in town.

And many WERE abused, either by the Russians or by Americans who do crap like this, which is why it's still a gem when you find one in good condition. It's still a historically significant firearm that's no longer produced, and it should be treated as such. Not just thrown around, abused, and treated expendably. Have some respect for what it is, and the people who used it and died with it. Think of all the things that gun has seen, and think of it ending its life at the bottom of some creek because 70 years later someone decided it was cheap and expendable. The thought of that makes me sick, and it should make any collector or WW2 buff sick as well.

• 2 months later...

I bought a Taurus Judge for that exact reason. My rationale was more as a survival gun than for self defense against criminals, though it's good for that too. I decided to get it when I heard some poor creature being eaten by the shore at dusk. In western PA, we'e less likely to run into large bears and more likely to run into feral dogs and cats, small to medium black bears, snakes, and something with rabies. I decided that I needed something that could hit something small and fast, and also have the ability to take something big. The stainless Judge was perfect. 410 for the small critters and 45 Colt for anything more.

I have yet to carry it though. Fast access isn't at the top of my criteria, but I wouldn't put it in a drybag mounted to the boat. Figure that most survival situations would start with losing your boat. I'm trying to think of how it could be stored inside a lifejacket, but coming up blank. A fanny pack sounds good, I'm trying to think if there's any way to keep it closer to your body. I once went kayaking with a bookbag and wished I hadn't.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I bought a Pelican case for kayaking. Fits my camera and cell phone, and most importantly any regular length barreled pistol. My Ruger Redhawk and GP100 might not fit, but my Smith and Wesson 329 .44 does, along with Glocks and my Ruger SP101. Keeps everything padded and safe, but not the fastest on the draw just the same. Open carry where I kayak is bad karma.

Open carry where I kayak is bad karma.

Heh. I suppose you could buy a short-barreled revolver to spraypaint orange. No one would even look twice if it could pass for a flare gun...

Actually, I've been thinking about the same thing; I like BrG3's idea re: the Judge in stainless. I keep a ditch bag behind the seat of my kayak; it'd probably fit in that. Another carry option could probably be keeping it in one of those light-weight, nylon drybags and tethering to your PFD. Keep the drybag between your legs so you don't get hung up on it when/if you bail.