High cap mags without pistol conversion

On a 7.62 saiga, Id' like to keep the "carabine" look (no pistol conversion) but want to use standard (non US) AK mags with the bullet guide. So I understand 4 russian parts need to go to bring the count down to 10.

Help me find the 4 parts and win yourself instant gratitude and good karma:

- the piston can be swapped

- can the trigger assy be swapped to a G2 without relocation?

I still need 2 parts. Any idea?

On a 7.62 saiga, Id' like to keep the "carabine" look (no pistol conversion) but want to use standard (non US) AK mags with the bullet guide. So I understand 4 russian parts need to go to bring the count down to 10.

Help me find the 4 parts and win yourself instant gratitude and good karma:

- the piston can be swapped

- can the trigger assy be swapped to a G2 without relocation?

I still need 2 parts. Any idea?

Dinzag sells a U.S. trigger group for non-converted saigas.

here,

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcgnpg.html

This would be two parts.

You could also change the front handguard.

Yup. The only way I can think of would be swapping out the FCG for Dinzags modified G2 (in which you only get 2 US parts, as opposed to 3 with the regular G2), swap out the piston and then swap out either the front handguard or buttstock. I'm not sure how the buttstock would work out though without a PG though :unsure: .

Would adding the bullet guide and just use regular 5rd ak mags be 922 compliant?

Yup. As far as mags are concerned, you only need to worry about 922r when the mag holds over 10 rounds. If it's 10 rounds or under, you can use any brand of mag from any country of origin.

Hi, I'm new to the saiga world but not to guns. I am in a similar situation. However, I am going to use U.S. made Surefire mags. I have ordered the FCG from Dinzag. Will this be legal? I am sorry if this is a redundant question but the other boards got into a lot of name calling and I think people forgot the reason for the post. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, I'm new to the saiga world but not to guns. I am in a similar situation. However, I am going to use U.S. made Surefire mags. I have ordered the FCG from Dinzag. Will this be legal? I am sorry if this is a redundant question but the other boards got into a lot of name calling and I think people forgot the reason for the post. Thanks in advance for your help.

Well if you got the FCG for un-converted Saigas from Dinzag, it will give you 2 US made parts. If you got a regular one, it will give you 3 US parts. The US made mags will give you 3 US parts. Assuming we're talking rifles, you need to replace 4 "counted" parts with US made ones. So with either FCG, you're legal. You'd be at 6 US parts with a regular FCG, and 5 US parts with the FCG for un-converted Saigas.

I'd been wanting to do a conversion like the OP mentioned for years and It's been a slow process. I got the FCG parts and modified them myself and I installed a US made BRG3 custom wood stock. I had BRG3 inlet it to accept an SKS buttplate and drill the hole for the cleaning kit so I can keep my cleaning kit in the buttstock like on a military AK. I also had him make it out of the cheapest knotted wood he had since I was going to spray paint it black anyway. I ended up having to do very little fitting on it and it looks great. I still havne't added the bullet guide though because although I have a US made piston, I haven't been able to remove the bloody factory piston. I drilled a hole straight through the pin that holds it in place, I can literally see through it and the damn thing still won't come loose. It's very frustrating, but at least I have proof that this type of conversion is doable.