Buying a 7.62 in Florida

So i was planning on picking up a Saiga 7.62x39 and when i called the gun shop they mentioned i had to be 21, im 20 right now but as far as i knew you only have to be 18 in florida to purchase a rifle(considering i already have a Ruger mini 14 and a Rem 870 both purchased by me) Is there something ddifferent with this classification of rifle that i am not seeing here? Why would i have to be 21 if the State law clearly syays 18 for rifles.

Thanks for the help

So i was planning on picking up a Saiga 7.62x39 and when i called the gun shop they mentioned i had to be 21, im 20 right now but as far as i knew you only have to be 18 in florida to purchase a rifle(considering i already have a Ruger mini 14 and a Rem 870 both purchased by me) Is there something ddifferent with this classification of rifle that i am not seeing here? Why would i have to be 21 if the State law clearly syays 18 for rifles.

Thanks for the help

PM sent

Thanks for the help

18 is legal for a long gun in FL

Thanks for the help

18 is legal for a long gun in FL

Yup, like the brother say, 18 for long guns.

in FL, there is a nice loophole, 18 for long guns AND handguns, but the catch is, long guns at 18 u can buy new at a gunshop from a FFL dealer, but with handguns, its legal to own at 18 with a P2P sale from a unliscensed person. but u cannot buy new from a dealer at 18, you have to wait until your 21. its a state law that allows it, my first handgun was at 18 and i didn't a college write-up about it ;) good times in FL

Edited by Vultite
  • 4 weeks later...

I live in Florida too and 18 is the legal age to buy any weapon that does NOT have a pistol grip. ARs, AKs, converted Saigas, and pistol gripped shotguns are allowed to be bought by persons 21 or older.

I'm thinking your dealer probably has a converted Saiga rifle and since it has a pistol grip and your underage, no sell. Is it stock or converted?

I live in Florida too and 18 is the legal age to buy any weapon that does NOT have a pistol grip. ARs, AKs, converted Saigas, and pistol gripped shotguns are allowed to be bought by persons 21 or older.

I'm thinking your dealer probably has a converted Saiga rifle and since it has a pistol grip and your underage, no sell. Is it stock or converted?

Bvamp ,a business member of this board, operates out of Florida.

He might drop in on this thread confirm this.

in FL you can buy any long gun with or without pistol grip, it doesn't matter.............

for purchase a long gun from a FFL dealer = 18 to purchase a handgun from FFL dealer is 21, but to purchase from private seller is 18 across the board

Edited by Vultite
in FL you can buy any long gun with or without pistol grip, it doesn't matter.............

for purchase a long gun from a FFL dealer = 18 to purchase a handgun from FFL dealer is 21, but to purchase from private seller is 18 across the board

Really? I was at a local gun shop a couple months back and we wouldn't let me buy a AR15 because I was under the age of 21. He then said anything with a pistol grip is allowed to be bought by persons 21 or older. He must of not liked me if that's the case...

Really? I was at a local gun shop a couple months back and we wouldn't let me buy a AR15 because I was under the age of 21. He then said anything with a pistol grip is allowed to be bought by persons 21 or older. He must of not liked me if that's the case...

Gun Shops are NOTORIOUS for making up their own laws on the spot.

Take your business elsewhere.