Bolt carrier sticking...

I hope I don't butcher the proper terms for the parts I'm referring to...

So I'm almost done with my first conversion. I took the rifle out to the range with my new AR to test it out. The pin that holds the hammer in place manage to walk out which caused a nice jam, but I was able to put a few rounds through the gun and noticed another problem...

It seems that the front of the hammer and the bottom of the bolt carrier are coming into contact more with the Tapco hammer than with the factory hammer. It's not a problem during a mag as the force is greater, but when pulling the bolt back manually (like to keep the bolt open like our range requires) it will stick.

I'm wondering if I can fix this by grinding down the front-top edge of the hammer and/or the bottom-front edge of the bolt carrier. I compare the two hammers and there's a slight difference, but not much. The factory hammer is not rounded, just a couple hard angles. I would think that the Tapco hammer wouldn't have caused the issue since it's rounded, but from what I can see this is the only plausible cause...

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just grind the two down?

This is common with the Tapco G2.

Pulling the charging handle to the rear and releasing it is the way to go ( it'll stick if you ride it forward )

Firing it will smooth it out ( please don't grind on it ).

Thanks for the input, I figured it was common. Guess I'll see how it goes with the next few range trips.

Got another quesiton as well for anyone reading. Looking from the rear of the receiver towards the barrel, the right-hand leg of the hammer spring tends to walk its way towards the center of the trigger, any ideas for that? Doesn't look like it would really cause a problem, but then again I'm a rookie...

Thanks for the input, I figured it was common. Guess I'll see how it goes with the next few range trips.

Got another quesiton as well for anyone reading. Looking from the rear of the receiver towards the barrel, the right-hand leg of the hammer spring tends to walk its way towards the center of the trigger, any ideas for that? Doesn't look like it would really cause a problem, but then again I'm a rookie...

Make sure your hammer spring hooks are straddling the trigger arms properly.

Like this

post-5354-1218342971.jpg

Hmmm, should they be under or over the trigger pin? I assumed over and I thought they were in correctly. I thought it may have something to do with the hammer spring coil on the right bulging towards the edge of the receiver at the top, which puts slight inward pressure on the right-hand leg...

*EDIT* Just saw Moxie's post, that's how I thought they should be, maybe it is the spring. Does the above make sense? I'd take a picture, but my camera battery's dead. Guess I can throw in a picture tomorrow...

Edited by Zcwilkins

I have to file a SMALL amount of material off the Tapco hammers when I matched them with a Tapco flat. (home build) It's a given. You can file a little off, it's better than trying to shoot it flat and wait for reliability. If your worried about doing it pick up the AGI AK Trigger job DVD .

http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=68

Before you start gringing on your FCG, pull the bolt and carrier and see if the firing pin retaining pin (it's on the side of your bolt head and sits on the underside of the carrier) is contacting the cam slot on your carrier. I did a write up on this a few years ago when testing some of the first FBMG .308 mags. I tried to find the post, but my Search-Fu is not strong on this forum.

Again, check to see if the firing pin retaining pin is sticking up at all. It doesn't take much for it to stick up to bind the carrier movement. Also - it's an easy fix.

Macbeau sends...