Ace receiver block question

I've got the AKRBC from Ace for my .308 - I cut and filed down the top rear tang, but the block still won't slot in. It appears to be hanging up on the trunion rivets. Anyone here know if this a normal problem? Not sure if I should clearance the rivets or the block or if there's something obvious I'm missing.

I've got the AKRBC from Ace for my .308 - I cut and filed down the top rear tang, but the block still won't slot in. It appears to be hanging up on the trunion rivets. Anyone here know if this a normal problem? Not sure if I should clearance the rivets or the block or if there's something obvious I'm missing.

I had to grind down the arms on mine to clear the rivets.

I had to grind down the arms on mine to clear the rivets.

Excellent, thanks!

Some good advice I got from this forum on that job was to file to a slight taper when fitting for the rear trunnion clearance. Get it so it will hand fit to within a 1/4" of the receiver, place some duck tape over back side of the block to protect the finish, then give it a few smacks with a rubber mallet to seat it firmly in place. When I was test fitting I put some black ink marks on the two freshly filed edges with a sharpie so that when I pulled it back out I could try to get a disturbed condition on both marks to ensure I was getting even contact on both sides.

And don't forget to pre-install the small nut that goes into the T-slot that is used for the top mount bolt before you pound it in, or you'll just end up cursing, and then pounding it back out again. :rolleyes:

I even went a bit farther and drilled and cut threads in the old trigger pin holes (Saiga appendix) and installed (4) 10-24 button head allen screws into the block as well. It took a while filing and fitting, fitting and filing, but I am glad to say my Ace folder does not wiggle.

Lastly, when I got my block from Ace they included a common allen head screw for the top mount. That was incorrect. It needs to be a flat head allen screw or your rear recoil spring mount may catch that incorrect screw head. Mine did.

Edited by Thor's Hammer