mag feeding problems with new bullet guide

I installed a flat bullet guide, and I am having some trouble with the Saiga 10 round magazines feeding properly. The AK 30 round seems to feed ok. Is there some modification I can make to the Saiga 10 round magazines to work with the feed ramp?

Edited by ankenyike
I installed a flat bullet guide, and it was a tad too high. Not thinking, I filed off some of the bottom of the bolt that slides over the top of the new bullet guide, to allow the bolt to go into battery (it was hanging up). That is fine except that I cannot feed any rounds from a Saiga 10 round magazine, and have occassional mis feeds when using a 30 round Ak mag. What should I do?

Can I weld a bit on the bottom of the bolt so it catches the rounds in a Saiga 10 round maG?

Can I modify the Saiga mag so it sits higher up into the receiver?

Why did you not file the guide? The bolt may be a problem.

I installed a flat bullet guide, and I am having some trouble with the Saiga 10 round magazines feeding properly. The AK 30 round seems to feed ok. Is there some modification I can make to the Saiga 10 round magazines to work with the feed ramp?

Best to use the correct bullet guide, then modify the cheap magazines/mag catch/etc.

Read this:(#3)

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/x39_mag_options.pdf

Edited by jbremount
  • 2 weeks later...

If you already installed the guide and the thirty works then I would leave the gun and feed ramp alone. Unless you have another Saiga you are going to use the 10 rounder in, just modify it to fit what you have now. Hold both mags together and see the raised feed lip on the 10 rounder. Shave it down to look like the thirty. On your pre-converted Saiga that raised lip is your bullet guide. You now have a nice one built right into your rifle so you no longer need the one on the mag.

If you already installed the guide and the thirty works then I would leave the gun and feed ramp alone. Unless you have another Saiga you are going to use the 10 rounder in, just modify it to fit what you have now. Hold both mags together and see the raised feed lip on the 10 rounder. Shave it down to look like the thirty. On your pre-converted Saiga that raised lip is your bullet guide. You now have a nice one built right into your rifle so you no longer need the one on the mag.

If you installed a bullet guide, then the stock saiga mags will not cycle properly

The purpose of installing the bullet guide is to get standard AK mags to fit.

Youll notice a tit on the front of the saiga mag, thats a bullet guide. You can file the saiga mag guide down and it should work ok in your rifle.