http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...est/7548023.stm

An SNP councillor in Glasgow has been suspended over allegations that he fired a Kalashnikov assault rifle while visiting Pakistan.

The incident was said to have taken place during a family holiday in 2005.

A party spokesman said there was no suggestion that Jahangir Hanif had broken the law but it appeared to be "foolish and inappropriate conduct".

Councillor Hanif said the incident took place before he was elected. He will now face a disciplinary hearing.

A statement from Councillor Hanif, who is presently in Pakistan, said: "I regret that this happened and apologise - it was foolish and inappropriate.

"It took place over two-and-a-half years ago, long before I became a councillor.

"I accept the actions of the party, and will wish to take part in the formal hearing on my return to Scotland."

Disciplinary hearing

An SNP spokesperson said: "Councillor Hanif is currently in Pakistan, and has not had the opportunity to put his side of the story.

"On the face of it he has not broken the law, and there is no suggestion of any involvement in anything untoward. Nevertheless, this was very foolish and inappropriate conduct.

"He is well aware of the SNP's strong views against firearms, particularly involving children.

"Councillor Hanif has this afternoon been suspended from the party, and therefore the council group, pending a disciplinary hearing where he will have the opportunity to explain himself and this incident from 2005."

Wow! Who knew the Scottish National Party were such myoptic whimps!

I guess the "tea leaves" are tell us that simply handling (or thinking about handling) a firearm will be some sort of crime in the future... that can be punished retro actively... :rolleyes:

I hear Scotland is a great place to be "from"...

Macbeau sends...

From Trainspotting (1996) "It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched miserable servile pathetic trash that was ever shat on civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to get colonized by. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!"

The last Scottish rebellion was the American Revolution. The traditional ideals and influences of Scottish rebellions were incorporated into our culture and government. The current Scottish nationalist movement is dominated by leftism because they don't realize that the traditional Scottish nationalists before them moved to America and many of their ideals became American ideals and have been called that ever since.

The last Scottish rebellion was the American Revolution. The traditional ideals and influences of Scottish rebellions were incorporated into our culture and government. The current Scottish nationalist movement is dominated by leftism because they don't realize that the traditional Scottish nationalists before them moved to America and many of their ideals became American ideals and have been called that ever since.

You are absolutely 100% correct BRG3. Many of the values we consider American are in fact brought over from Scotland. Most people in my area (Appalachia) are completely unaware of their Scottish background.

BTW, Havn't seen you post in awhile. Glad to have your ever-well-worded replies with us again.