I bought my ranger used about 3 years ago, and have never had a problem with it since, its a 94 XLT supercab with the 4 cylinder 5 speed, its about 100 miles away from 200k and it started to miss a little bit, so i did a full tune up and to my suprize, it had the factory wires and plugs! wow, i've never had a car be this reliable, so did i get lucky or does anyone else with a ranger have the same reliability?

I bought my ranger used about 3 years ago, and have never had a problem with it since, its a 94 XLT supercab with the 4 cylinder 5 speed, its about 100 miles away from 200k and it started to miss a little bit, so i did a full tune up and to my suprize, it had the factory wires and plugs! wow, i've never had a car be this reliable, so did i get lucky or does anyone else with a ranger have the same reliability?

Other than being a bit gutless, my little Ranger is/has done just fine. Recently turned over 100K miles, and keeps on ticking. It has gotten over 50K miles on this set of Goodyear tires, and I run it alot on the hot highways of Central Texas. Only one problem in 100K, and that was that the overdrive kept kicking in even when it wasnt' supposed to be, and that little fixed cost me less than 50 bucks at the Ford dealership. When this one craters, I'm getting another one!

I work in a Ford dealer and we rarely get any in for work. They usually don't fuck up. One of the guys here recently sold his ranger. He had just over 400,000 miles on it and other than the faded to shit paint and using about half a quart of oil every 2 days (200 miles) there was nothing really wrong with it. The thing looked like the rattiest piece of shit(like the owner) but was reliable. At about 200,000 miles he changed the cylinder heads because he had burnt an exhaust valve and I know he put several sets of brushes int eh alternator. Other than the exhaust valve and the brushes it was all just normal maintenance for the thing.

I had about 240k on my 94 xlt 3.0 when I sold it.... never had trouble

my stepdad finally had to junk his '94 at 450k when our mechanic found that 3 out of 4 weld points holding the cab to the chassis were completely gone...

great trucks...

My ranger, a '97 4cyl standard cab manual tranny, was a POS. It would cut power for no reason. Ford dealership couldn't fix it. Ford didn't know what was wrong with it. Mileage sucked too.... NEVER saw over 19MPG. I dumped it and bought a 4x4 ext cab Silverado and never looked back. Now THAT's a GREAT truck!

Edited by patriot
My ranger, a '97 4cyl standard cab manual tranny, was a POS. It would cut power for no reason. Ford dealership couldn't fix it. Ford didn't know what was wrong with it. I dumped it and bought a 4x4 ext cab Silverado and never looked back. Now THAT's a GREAT truck!

The new rangers are just as reliable. I bought an 03 Edge model in early 2003, it still kicks ass despite having 150,000 miles. never any major problems, just routine maintenance and she runs great!!

I bought a used extended bed one and drove this piss out of it till it was totaled.

Good gas mileage great load handling comfortable, I really liked it for being a small truck.

EDIT TO ADD,..A friend had a Mazda, same year so we popped hoods and compared parts almost identicle,..

Edited by Gas Giant

2001 Extended cab Stepside..76,000+ with no problems other than the damn belt squealing problem.I had changed the belt twice with no success until i found a simple cure...chalk,like thats used in construction chalk lines.I just shoot a puff on the belt and pulleys and the sqeakings gone for about 4-6 weeks or after a couple rains :cryss: The front of the engines always blue,but thats ok. Has original tires that are getting changed here soon.Other than that,just the normal stuff..brake pads,plugs,wires,ect.I bought it new and it better last..i aint buying a new vehicle ever again :dollar:

I just picked up a 96 Explorer, V6 and manual tranny, 167k miles. Runs and drives great so far! Shifter is sloppy as hell, so today Summit is delivering my new Hurst shifter for it, and next week the K&N FIPK will be here. Those 2 alone should increase the fun factor in driving it. Mainly bought it to have a truck to haul my dive gear around to different sites!! Can't do that in the Solstice!! LOL!

Cheers,

Paul

96' xlt 228,000 on it when I got a dui so I sold it. I used moblil 1 10w 30 didn't change the oil for 80,000 miles and it still got 21 miles a gallon "The gutless wonder" but she always started up and she always got me home. The only thing I ever had to do was changed brake pads 3 times and 3 batteries.