Tromix - 12" Saiga Project Update (pic)

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=237378

Here is a pic of the completed Tromix prototype shorty Saiga, sans refinish.

See the for sale board for pricing on complete Tromix Saiga shotguns as well as pricing on the Tromix Saiga mods that we can do on customer owned guns.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I have no plans to raise the price. If I can't get anymore guns, I will simply do the conversions on customer supplied guns. That works much better for my cash flow anyway. I only built 10ea up front because I am the new guy on the Saiga block and want everyone to know that I am serious about building these guns. It's not just a single prototype deal.

I am assuming that you are talking about modifying a Title 1 Saiga, ie 18" gun.

I would still suggest doing all the shorty mods and cutting the barrel back to about 15.5" and then add a permanent flash hider to put it at 18" overall, so the cost would be about the same as doing a 12" gun.

Picatinney rail $85

Vertical Grip $40

HK Sights $150

Flash Hider 49

Tactical Light $100

The basic conversion, ie ACE folder, SAW grip, U.S. fire controls, Tromix cold weather trigger guard and shorty gas system components would run $466 plus freight. If you just want to leave the barrel at 18", we do not need to rebuild the gas system, the the basic conversion cost would drop to $335.

Just call me at the Tromix shop 9-5 M-F central time at 918 251-5640 and we can work out whatever you need. We can get 10 times more accomplished in half the time while talking on the phone than we can typing back and forth on the net.

I assure you, the red loctite will NEVER let go under recoil. You can put a three foot long pipe wrench on the hider and you will spin the barrel into a corkscrew before the hider comes off.

But, for those disbelievers, I can certainly thread them on, not a problem.

I will get some close up pics shortly of the entire gun and parts from various angles.

The Tac Star light came with a simple clamp-on mount when I bought it. If you have a Surefire, fobus makes a mount of $20 that will bolt up to a picatinney rail. I don't think your Surefire will stand up to the recoil of the Saiga. I had one of their $500 AR-15 foregrip/light assemblies on an AR-15 in .458 SOCOM and it broke the bulb with the first shot. Surefire told me it was not designed to withstand that kind of recoil, and the SOCOM recoils quite a bit less than a Saiga.

I am sure someone sells those simple clamp-on mounts for shotguns.

i am really interested, this is the 12 guage, now can you do more customized work so i dont have to buy all the parts? i just bouht a 308 so i dont want to spend all my money at once

like i want the front grip, side folding stock, flash hider, and ill wait on the light and sights to save some money. can you re use the original sights for now?

and does this comply with all the US laws regarding assault shotguns?

thanks

smith329@purdue.edu

The basic gun runs $695. The picatinney rail, vertical grip, HK sights, flash hider, and tactical light are extra. You can use the original vent rib sight just fine.

It has the correct U.S. parts count.

Here is a pic of all the guns awaiting test fire. All but 2ea are sold.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=238802

Tony,

I already converted my Saiga-12 to pistol grip configuration and added a Tapco G2 FCG. How much would it be if I sent it to you to cut it back to 15.5" and add a flash hider for 18" total length? How are these guns patterning without chokes on them?

Thanks,

James

Tony,

I already converted my Saiga-12 to pistol grip configuration and added a Tapco G2 FCG. How much would it be if I sent it to you to cut it back to 15.5" and add a flash hider for 18" total length? How are these guns patterning without chokes on them?

Thanks,

James

You will have to mess with the gas system.

Tromax you are a genius could you please share your knowledge on how you shortened the gas tube. I just got a saiga 12 for my birthday and I was wondering if you had to drill new holes for the gas to escape, how much longer the gas tube needs to be compared to the piston what i should and shouldnt do so that it will cycle correctly . And out of curiosity do you thing I could use a standard ak gas tubes and stuff. If you have pictures or just a special way to do please please help.

If Tony shares his trade secrets with the Saiga gas system, he'll put himself out of a job, won't he? It's one thing for us weekend hackers to bounce ideas back and forth the develop a product. It's another for a working gunsmith to share valuable intellectual property that he spent a long time accumulating.

Just my 0.02$, no offense to anyone.

It's not really an issue sharing info with a weekend gunsmithing warrior, but the net is wide up to everyone, including other competing gunsmiths. I will let them figure out how to do the shorty gas system on their own.

In general, just cut out a section of the gas system, and weld everything back together.