Adding picatinney rails to FACTORY Saiga forward?

I bought a rail from JSE Surplus and installed it on my S12. Easy to do and it's a solid installation. I didn't use any special fasteners and after a couple of hundred rounds it's still nice and tight.

Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim.

I hit the link you provided and the pic isn't displaying. The text doesn't really describe it. I was curious how long it is and what is it made of? Did it include mounting screws?

Thanks!

HC

I hit the link you provided and the pic isn't displaying. The text doesn't really describe it. I was curious how long it is and what is it made of? Did it include mounting screws?

It's not rocket science. One gets a picatinny rail of the desired length and attaches it to their foreend.

Not sure why those images from the other thread didn't show up for you, but here they are (courtesy of bkelm18):

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Edited by nalioth

this in on a saiga20, don't know if you're mounting onto a rifle with a shorter forend

saiga20-01.jpg

this rail is mounted more forward than some might prefer, but it feels natural to me and i'm comfortable supporting the forend behind the vertical grip if i want to.

saiga20-rail.jpg

to install, i just picked up some bolts from home depot that screwed into the hole under the gas tube. i drilled and countersunk the middle hole which screws into the hole where you're sling mount is. the first bolt is attached with a nut on the inside of the forend. you'll probably need a dremil to remove some of the plastic molding and some locktite to keep it solid. to remove the forend, just unscrew the bolt going into the gas tube barrel mount thingy

I added a rail on a Saiga rifle forend on a conversion I did. It was a long one, as they wanted a VFG and possibly a light. The front of the rail utilized the forend mounting screw, and two more were run through the forend to nuts on the inside. CTD sells aluminum rails that come with screws and low profile nuts. They are actually for mounting on an AR handguard, but they go on anything. You can get two 6" pieces or one 11" for the same price. Since pretty much all forends taper up as they go forward, these rails are also tapered to make the rail part level with the bore. This makes them sit nice on many guns.

While I have done this on my own guns, usually I don't like how low VFGs end up by the time a rail is mounted to the bottom of the forend, then the VFG on the bottom of that. I also like shorter than normal VFGs. I have taken to just making my own from black Delrin that fit the countour of the forend and mount via holes drilled into the forend. I simply drill a row of holes at about a 1" spacing. The ones not used provide venting. i just run a bolt through from the inside.

Sure, it's not instantly adjustable, but once you get it where you want it, how often do you move it anyway?