Best scope for under $150?

I just got my Saiga and I want to set it up Dragunov style, the gun is just for fun at the range and I never planned on dumping a ton of money into it. I already ordered the skeleton stock, picatinny rail. I was looking for a decent scope under $150, if one exhists...I don't know much about scopes as all I own is hand guns. What magnification should I get? what scopes would you guys recommend in that price range? thanks

Bushnell also has some good scopes in the 150-180 range... decisions decisions

I would not go overboard with the scope. As long as it does well against the shock of the 7.62x39; magnification to higher powers is not needed. Your best bet is to find a scope with range and lead markers to let you quickly adjust for both range and movement quickly. Anything over 250yards with my saiga and I'm not even going to bother shooting.

This coming from a 4X Marine rifle expert that went 10/10 each time at 500yards open sights with my M16A4.

Good luck on your search.

How does the magnification convert into yardage? I understand that I wont be shooting much over 250, so what mag should I go with?

Lead and Range markers? Can you point me in the right direction? thanks

Also fixed vs. variable power?

Edited by JeffMerr
I just got my Saiga and I want to set it up Dragunov style, the gun is just for fun at the range and I never planned on dumping a ton of money into it. I already ordered the skeleton stock, picatinny rail. I was looking for a decent scope under $150, if one exhists...I don't know much about scopes as all I own is hand guns. What magnification should I get? what scopes would you guys recommend in that price range? thanks

Jeff,

If you're just going to play around with it at the range and not do any serious "predator control" with it on live targets, I'd suggest you keep your scope choice simple, inexpensive, and non-variable. A used, fixed 4X with a plain reticule sounds like it will fit your requirements just fine. I would also suggest that you take your Saiga with you to the gun store/gun show when you go to buy your scope to make sure you get all the fittings you need for the installation. Good luck, and let us know what you wind up buying.

Mike

I put a 88888on my Saiga 7.62X39. It works great. The optics are clear, the mil.dot reticle is a nice feature, I can shoot with both eyes open at 1.5X, I can turn it up to 4.5X for greater precision, and it is plenty durable.

This looks like a GREAT deal. How does it hold up on a 7.62x39 to shock? I may be buying this stock next instead of spending $250 like I normally do. JeffMerr if I was you I'd redirect to this scope if the review from hogdog comes back good.

I have not put a lot of rounds through the gun with the Barska scope on it, so I can't give a definitive rating of the long-term durability. However, I can say that I shot 2 MOA with it using Wolf black box ammo with no wandering of the zero. The scope is not fancy, but it does seem to be well made. I don't foresee any problem with it holding up to the mild recoil of a Saiga 7.62X39. It comes with a lifetime warranty too.

FYI: The rings mine came with were extra-high mount. I didn't even use them. I ended up getting lower mounts.

Edited by hogdog

here is the most underrated scope on the market;

What is so good about it? It is sold in the plastic blister pacs only, and is made in large runs every now and then, for about

the last 15 years. If you read the outside of the pac, it is ADULT AIR RATED, BREAK BBL, SPRING PISTON RATED.

So then you know it can take recoil; it also adjusts focus down to 7.5 ft, which is awesome. it is also smallish sized,

so it does not look huge on your rifle, even rimfires. There is absolutely nothing not to like about this scope.

especially since you can buy it for around 50 bucks!!!! here is a bigger pic of it; also when you pick one up, you know

it is made of very solid steel or something, becuase it feels like you could throw it as a weapon!

opticsplanet_2009_401068623.gif

Oh yeah, it is the tasco golden antler series, but be careful, they also have a regular type

centerfire golden antler as well, but it does not have an adjustable obj, and is not air rifle, spring piston,

break bbl rated.

Edited by Juggernaut
removed non con link

I just got a NC Star at a local Gunshow.

2-6 x 28 Nitrogen filled weather proof Yada yada yada

for $35.00 and yes it is made in China,

And yes it does work very nicley,... so far

and Yes scope rings did cost extra, but i have to say it is SWEET for what i wanted

No batteries, CLEAR reticle, and ZOOM and focus and another eyeglass adjustment (with or without)

a little lock tite and it is in place on a Russian side mount Belarus.

So far,../ so good, actually,.. GREAT! at 50 rounds!

later I also found one for $30.00

Edited by Gas Giant
  • 2 weeks later...

I would go with Russian optics made for the system.

1) POSP is a good solid optic, but make sure you get the 400m recticle as this was calibrated for 7.62x39. Do not get the 1000m recticle, it was made for 7.62x54R and the range-finding recticle will never work with the "rainbow" trajectory of x39 ammo. The ulluminated recticle is very nice and of good quality, but its also pretty heavy. Nice thing about this scope is no rings or mounts required, and it holds zero nicely when you remove it and put it back on. These are in your price range.

2) My favorite for the x39 Saiga is the PK-AS red dots. These are amazing and very tough - tougher than Eotechs and Aimpoints. They come with many mounting options. it has a very long battery life, but if the batteries fail, it has a 1MOA black dot that works no matter what. I am deadly pinpoint accurate with them (especially using the 1MOA black dot) and hit fenceposts with them easily from past 100 yards. They have no magnification, so are great for fast shots with both eyes open. Even the AR snobs are impressed with these.

• 1 year later...

What is so good about it? It is sold in the plastic blister pacs only, and is made in large runs every now and then, for about

the last 15 years. If you read the outside of the pac, it is ADULT AIR RATED, BREAK BBL, SPRING PISTON RATED.

So then you know it can take recoil; it also adjusts focus down to 7.5 ft, which is awesome. it is also smallish sized,

so it does not look huge on your rifle, even rimfires. There is absolutely nothing not to like about this scope.

especially since you can buy it for around 50 bucks!!!! here is a bigger pic of it; also when you pick one up, you know

it is made of very solid steel or something, becuase it feels like you could throw it as a weapon!

Oh yeah, it is the tasco golden antler series, but be careful, they also have a regular type

centerfire golden antler as well, but it does not have an adjustable obj, and is not air rifle, spring piston,

break bbl rated.

Break bbl spring piston air-rifles recoil forward, not backwards. This scope is NOT rated for centerfire use. I would NOT consider it unless I wanted a scope that would break after a few hundred rounds, if that...

I believe they would have already bought a scope within the past YEAR OR SO.

August and September 2008 post and it's NOW OCTOBER 2009.

I wouldn't reply to posts that are that old unless you have something really important to add.

JMHO

break bbl rated.

Break bbl spring piston air-rifles recoil forward, not backwards. This scope is NOT rated for centerfire use. I would NOT consider it unless I wanted a scope that would break after a few hundred rounds, if that...

Edited by Juggernaut

Edit: whoops, somebody resurrected an old thread.

But for less than $150, you're probably better off buying more ammo and practicing with iron sights. Cheap optics are a false economy.

Edited by aresv

So this is a NecroPost, but meh, scope info is always good, isn't it?

So I have read rave review about the LaRue Iron Dot, but LaRue does not appear to be selling it on their website anymore. What's the scoop?

PS-1st post, wassup y'all!!

Don't believe year old information is current enough for discussion, lots of products change and evolve in that time and I know prices sure change it's kinda like :deadhorse:

One word: Vortex Crossfire (ok, two words). Yes, this is an old post but I've got to spread the joy. I just got one for my bolt-action .308, and it friggin rocks.

These scopes feature fully-multicoated optics, are shock and water-proof, and nitrogen purged to prevent internal fogging. To those of you who are optics-savvy, these terms should be meaningful. The company is an American-owned and operated company and offer full, unconditional lifetime warranties on virtually all of their products (probably the best warranty in the optics business--better than Swarovski's, and I would know...I used to own a pair of their EL binocs, and sold them for a pair of Vortex's). A similar scope from most of the more traditional optics companies would go for 2x+ the cost of a Crossfire. I got mine for 129.00. This particular model is offered in a wide range of reticles, magnifications, and sizes. This scope makes 4 different scopes/binos that I own from Vortex, and I highly recommend this company for all of your optics needs.

No, I'm not a Vortex rep, just a very, very happy customer :-)

Edit: Link Removed as per forum rules. ~Juggs