Muzzle brakes?

Just found them. Now I need to figure out which barrel I have. Thank you, though. I will definitely be buying one after today. I went out and shot my Saiga .223 for the first time today. Something like 60-70 rounds of Sellier & Bellot through it, and not one jam. Very accurate, too. I was impressed, to say the least. She's the most reliable semi-auto I've ever fired. But that little beast has a kick to it that you start to feel after you've fired a full clip. I need to find some way to rein it in, and a good muzzle brake is one of the best ways.

Ultimate plans for my Saiga:

1. Muzzle brake

2. Recoil Buffer

3. Padded stock

4. Sight rail

I'm referring to an AK recoil buffer, that you place right in front of your spring stop. It's just to prevent metal-on-metal contact in case you're shooting a hot enough load to throw the action all the way to the rear (should be fairly rare with a .223). As for the sight rail, I'm referring to a weaver rail adapter that attaches to the mount on the side of the gun. My gun has the mounting hardpoint (easier to call this a hardpoint than a rail to differentiate between it and traditional Weaver / Picatinny rails), but I need the adapter so I can put a scope or red dot on it. I'm left-handed, and don't particularly want to mess with a Dragunov-style scope. I have one on my PSL, and while I can use it, it's not appropriate for this style of rifle.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
I'm referring to an AK recoil buffer, that you place right in front of your spring stop. It's just to prevent metal-on-metal contact in case you're shooting a hot enough load to throw the action all the way to the rear (should be fairly rare with a .223).
Yes, I know what you're talking about.

They are bad news.

Try a beefier recoil spring instead: Stock No. 85276 - Extra Power (+15%) - .each.....$ 15.99 ea from Wolff gun springs.

Edited by nalioth
Yes, I know what you're talking about.

They are bad news.

Try a beefier recoil spring instead: Stock No. 85276 - Extra Power (+15%) - .each.....$ 15.99 ea from Wolff gun springs.

Thanks from me too. When I was shooting Lake City M855/SS109 I felt the bolt going way back in the receiver. I understand ideally the bolt should never reach the end of the receiver due to the spring.

I was going to try putting a piece of masking tape over the dust cover/safety while on fire mode. The tape would be at a point where it would be disturbed, if the bolt handle went all the way back while firing.

Edited by dobravery
  • 4 weeks later...
They are bad news.

Try a beefier recoil spring instead...

Actually, I like the recoil buffers - they're an affordable alternative to progressive rate springs (which I have not seen mentioned here). I've used them in multiple FALs, AKs, and other rifles, without a single failure to function. "Beefier" springs have (at least in theory) the potential to interfere with extraction, which is never a good thing. And AKMs have historically failed at the rear trunion, due to repeated stress on the receiver from the bolt being arrested during recoil. AK recoil buffers therefore would seem to have some potential (at least in theory) to extend receiver life.

If your rifle functions 100% with a buffer (as mine do), I would suggest that you're good to go. Of course, you're always looking at the 'extra part' in the equation - if the buffer failed and jammed up the action, for example, you might regret it (terminally). But that (of course) is true for every round you feed it, as well as every US compliance part you install in the mechanism.

Obviously, it's your call...

Thanks. I've decided to take the plunge and convert my Saiga. I've purchased a new, unstained PSL / Romak-3 buttstock for $10 that I plan to stain mahogany. I own a Romak-3, and have always been impressed with how comfortable it is, as well as how effective the recoil plate is. I'll be using a Red Star Arms adjustable trigger kit (unless people think the Tapco kit from Dinzag is okay). With US magazines, my parts count will be 8. With the original Russian 10-round magazine, the parts count will be 11, but given that the PSL itself is allowed to be imported as a sporting gun (same magazine capacity), as is the WASR-10 with the exact same stock, I'll be fine on that. So my parts count will be 8 with US magazines, or 11-but-legal with the original 10-round.

So there we have it. I've done my homework, and I've found multiple examples where ATF allowed guns in this exact configuration to be imported, so all my bases are covered. If I actually go hunting, I'll be using a Surefire 5-round magazine. The reason I've decided to go this route is cost and the end result. My chief complaint about my Saiga is its sharp recoil; it may not be a large round, but with no padding you certainly feel it. There are no permanent recoil pads available for any of the existing Saiga stocks, including the skeleton stock I was considering buying. At $95 for a predrilled skeleton stock that still won't fully do what I want it to do, that seems like a waste. Considering I can, with parts and labor, get exactly what I want for around $140 and have it look SO much nicer, I'd call that a better deal. And since I've satisfied the parts count requirement it'll let me do whatever I want to it later.

Just my two cents worth any saiga i have encountered with a recoil buffer has had problems!!!!!

I've never had a single failure to function with the buffers (from two different manufacturers) in my Saiga. Go figure...

But it's funny how things sometimes happen. The only SKS I ever owned (Chicom) was such a piece of crap that it was unsafe to shoot. After correcting the problem, I sold it, because I could never force myself to trust it. Anyone else I've ever known who owned an SKS (including Chicom) loved it (no problems).

Similar kind of thing - the first AK I ever picked up in a gun shop (heavy barrel Chicom) had a mag in the mag well - that would not come out. I'm guessing the shop owner probably ended up hammering on the mag release to get that mag clear. But for years I thought AKs were crap as a result.

And the only time I ever tried to do business with Bushmaster, I ended up with an ignorant and arrogant Bushmaster rep on the phone (he told me - I kid you not - that a 'metric' FAL buttstock tool could NOT be used to remove an Izzy FAL buttstock ;>). I've never bought a Bushmaster product since. (When it comes to quality ARs and the finest customer service in the firearms industry, ArmaLite is Number One in my book! ;>)

Obviously, as always, YMMV, etc., etc., etc...

Edited by Bad Bob