Is this normal?

If I don't pull the trigger slightly, the bolt carrier hangs up on the piece on the trigger that holds back the hammer, during a field strip. I am concerned about it hitting it hard under fire and breaking off, and going into full auto slam fire mode. With the spring in, assembled, it doesn't appear to hang up when hand cycling. It is an RSA adjustable fcg. Is that what causes the trigger slap back I have read about? Should I adjust it so it sits slightly forward and clears the bolt, or is this normal?

Is it possible to get a picture of what you are talking about? I think I could help you out. Just want to know what parts your talking about.

I don't have a digi cam, but I'll try to be more clear. It is the hook that grabs the hammer, on the trigger part. As the hammer cocks, it is the piece just forward of where the hammer sits when cocked that hooks onto the forward part of the hammer. When I am trying to field strip it, after I remove the spring and attempt to push the bolt carrier all the way to the rear, I am pretty sure it is the bolt that is hitting the very top of the hook piece. If I depress the trigger, it moves it forward and down, and it clears it. Like I already mentioned, it doesn't seem to be hitting it when assembled, but that could be because the bolt carrier isn't allowed to travel far enough back.

I think that I could probably adjust it so that it sits more forward and down. I just wanted to know if this is common/normal, or if I should remedy it before my next range session with it. It has started happening recently, I noticed it after my last range trip when field stripping to clean.

Is it possible to get a picture of what you are talking about? I think I could help you out. Just want to know what parts your talking about.

I don't have a digi cam, but I'll try to be more clear. It is the hook that grabs the hammer, on the trigger part. As the hammer cocks, it is the piece just forward of where the hammer sits when cocked that hooks onto the forward part of the hammer. When I am trying to field strip it, after I remove the spring and attempt to push the bolt carrier all the way to the rear, I am pretty sure it is the bolt that is hitting the very top of the hook piece. If I depress the trigger, it moves it forward and down, and it clears it. Like I already mentioned, it doesn't seem to be hitting it when assembled, but that could be because the bolt carrier isn't allowed to travel far enough back.

I think that I could probably adjust it so that it sits more forward and down. I just wanted to know if this is common/normal, or if I should remedy it before my next range session with it. It has started happening recently, I noticed it after my last range trip when field stripping to clean.

I think I know what you're talking about. I believe I had the same problem with my conversion using the RSA FCG.

First thing you want to do is brush some white-out on the top of any part of the FCG that you think might be hanging up on the bolt. Then slide the bolt back and do what you need to do to field strip it. Then look to see where the bolt is hitting the white-out on the FCG.

I had to file down the top-most part of the FCG substantially. This top-most part of the FCG is the 45 degree elbow that sits above the sear. I confirmed with RSA that this was OK. I recommend you do so also. I filed down more than I needed to just clear the bolt for fieldstripping because I noticed from using the white-out test that the FCG elbow I'm talking about was being pushed aside by the bolt and was also causing a step of resistance when I pulled the bolt back all the way.

I dremeled and hand filed 5000th of an inch at a time. Keep testing with the white-out. I hope this answers your question. Good luck.

I think I know what you're talking about. I believe I had the same problem with my conversion using the RSA FCG.

First thing you want to do is brush some white-out on the top of any part of the FCG that you think might be hanging up on the bolt. Then slide the bolt back and do what you need to do to field strip it. Then look to see where the bolt is hitting the white-out on the FCG.

I had to file down the top-most part of the FCG substantially. This top-most part of the FCG is the 45 degree elbow that sits above the sear. I confirmed with RSA that this was OK. I recommend you do so also. I filed down more than I needed to just clear the bolt for fieldstripping because I noticed from using the white-out test that the FCG elbow I'm talking about was being pushed aside by the bolt and was also causing a step of resistance when I pulled the bolt back all the way.

I dremeled and hand filed 5000th of an inch at a time. Keep testing with the white-out. I hope this answers your question. Good luck.

Yes it does. The white out idea is a good one, and I'll do that.

Thanks!

Edited by LKB3rd