Surefire front forearm

I had ordered one of these over a month ago, and still not received one. I called Gilbert's and a guy told me that they had plenty to ship, but that they stopped sending them out because they were getting complaints that the quick-connect style rail mount light & laser holders would not latch on tight to the rails on this forearm, and they suspected the rails were not up to spec. If you use a screw-tightening type attachment like a vertical fore-grip then it works fine, but not the spring-loaded quick-connect accessory mounts. The guy at Gilberts said they had sent a bunch back, or were waiting for modified and resized versions to come in before sending anymore to customers. Anyone else hear of this?

That might explain why mine which was ordered in July hasn't shipped. I sent an email last week but no response yet.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer it if the extra length was removed from the rear. Moving the rails back about 2 inches or so but keeping them the same length. In fact, about the length or a bit shorter than the stocker, but rails the entire length. Then you can use rail covers if you so desire...

Caliberclark - All I know is that when I called Gilbert's to ask why I hadn't received it yet, he said there was going to be some redesign, and some were shipped back due to the fact that the rails were not properly sized to accept the quick-connect style spring loaded light/laser holders. I guess some were shipped out, but there were enough complaints about the size problem that they did sort of a recall on the ones still not shipped, thus our delay. He said that attachments such as most vertical grips which have the screw-on tightening worked fine, but that the quick-connects did not. I almost don't care since my attachments are screw-on anyway, and I've noticed that the quick-connect style holders have been reported somewhat flaky on other various rail systems in the past. I half-wonder if it is a line of B.S. or something from Gilbert's and they just have supply problems. I would rate the extra length as being more of a stupid problem than this rail issue. God knows why Surefire mags thought it would look good to do it that way - it doesn't really. I assumed it would be flush with the endcap, but only now after seeing forum photo posts do I see the overhang.

That rail looks sweet especially with the Ultimak rail. I got to say though that they need to chop off that last two inches and move the rail back flush with the front end. Anyone who has one looked at making the modification and cutting off the rear two inches...or do we just need to see if SRM will make the mod?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Gilbert's now has them back in stock with the rail problem fixed and they are ready to go. They are touting these things pretty heavily as it is now the top item mentioned on their homepage. They lost my original online order somehow, but he took it right over the phone today, so if you online-ordered and don't have it yet, give them a call. He indicated that they had sent out the remainder of the back orders as of late last week supposedly.

I got pretty excited when I saw these had been shipping and they appeared to "work" right out of the box, but I think I'll hold off ordering one until I hear positive responses about the rails...

I think it was already mentioned that their preference would be that a couple inches be taken off the rear, moving the rails back (I know this probably can't be done because of the mounting bracket). I agree that I'd prefer that as well...

Better yet, they could have just brought the rails all the way back. I wouldn't have minded using rail covers like I do on my ARs...

I hope they get the rail problem squared away.

If they do, I'll probably get one...

God Bless,

Doc S

Edited by Doc S

I received my SGM forearm today and any looseness of the accessory rails from the early models has definitely been fixed. They almost over-compensated I would say, as the one quick-connect light/laser holder I have was a very tight fit, but went on ok ultimately. So the rails are good, the look is good, and the material is very tough and rigid. The toughness is nice, but it does make it sort of hard to work into place since it has no give like the typical forearms. Once you're finally on it fits tight and secure. The length does look a little weird at first, but it's better than nothing. I wonder if there's something to this length being used because the original single lower-rail forearm which came out last year had the rail extending out beyond the end of the forearm too, so both of these units are trying to stretch out the rail distance for some reason. There's plenty of room for a vertical foregrip and light holder on the lower, and if you're into lasers of I.R. illuminators for the side rails there's plenty of room for one each of those too. There's even rail-mount digital video cameras I see out there now too..... I can't imagine anyone not having enough rail space even if they cut the forearm down to get rid of some overhang on the front end. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Gilbert's was good to work with as usual.

The one in Lammy's photo looks like a perfect fit. Why are the other ones way the hell past the gas tube? Did Lammy get a different model perhaps or does it depend on if it is one of the newer s12's. Maybe it is a factory screw up and it was intended for the 7.62x39"s etc.....

The one in Lammy's photo looks like a perfect fit. Why are the other ones way the hell past the gas tube? Did Lammy get a different model perhaps or does it depend on if it is one of the newer s12's. Maybe it is a factory screw up and it was intended for the 7.62x39"s etc.....

Not the best photoshop but I'm not getting paid either...
:angry: Looks like you lose the sling mount. I am reluctant to purchase if that is the case. I really like it but cant justify $79 plus a seperate rail sling mount that will cost another $30-$40..........

You can get a cheap-o sling mount from CTD, two good reviews though does look kinda cheap.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR920-7.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is one installed:

post-13362-1226465110_thumb.jpg

Great looking gun!! My forearm from Gilberts will be here tomorrow. It's going on my Saiga 7.62. I will post the pic when I get it on. I hope it was worth the wait.. As far as the sling mount goes I am going to try to mount the stock one on. It might need only to be drilled I think...

I got mine in this week and found it to be a very tight fit. I found that the hole for the bolt was not drilled deep enough to use

the original Saiga screw. 2 options. 1. drill the hole a little deeper so the original screw will fit or 2. go to lowes and buy a screw

that is a little longer so no drilling is required. Price of 2 screws at lowes is 68 cents. Some grinding is needed on the screw head

to bring it to the size of the hole. I opted for the new screw. If you drill too deep you cannot put material back. So new screw

and no modification to the bolt hole was what I did. Took 2 minutes to bring the screw head to size using a scotchbrite wheel.

Tri rail looks good on the S12. Now for a little black paint to coat that highly polished screw head.

79 bucks--well worth the money.

I am looking at the rail and if 2 inches were cut off the rear you would be cutting off the small plate that is inserted into the receiver.

Which would probably make the guard have a loose fit. I do see a possibility of cutting 2 inches off the front. Maybe using a variable

speed scroll saw. Something to ponder about.

beagle12