Decent Iron Sight Setup With Little Effort

I have a steady amount of PMs regarding my easy factory iron site setup with pictures. It originated from an old Cobra mod that I followed. I purchased a Glock 17 rear factor sight blade from CDNN (or Midwest) for about 4.00. I trimmed it a bit with sand paper on the edges until it fit tightly into my factory rear sight blade. I added the cheap clamp on AK front sight post, spun up the center pin about 4 turns to zero at 50 yards, and lightly drifted the rear blade (OK bent) a click to the left with a light hammer tap.

It is one of the clearest iron sight pictures of about 4 of the Saiga variants I have seen, and if you are a pistol shooter, it is super clean and easy zero.

Look at the very last pic in my collection site to see what it ends up looking like. I did need to remove the rib on the top of this one, so it is low, which gives my 75 and 100 year flat profile with slugs a much better vertical compensation.

http://www.twinhairdryers.0catch.com/

Cobra had a nice idea here if you are a tacticle handgun shooter, it looks like a G-34 with a long barrel and a bit of a slower target acquisition......

In my 3-gun matches, I pick up the glock, then saiga, then get to my bushmaster and. the AR site picture looks odd!!!! funny stuff.

Edited by twinhairdryers

Glad to see others having success with my idea on that setup. It worked great for me. Here's a pic of mine since your site's down at the moment.

It's hard to see in the photo, but I painted the front sight pin white also.

post-1293-1219323658_thumb.jpg

Im not sure my rear site looks like that.

The rear sight in the pic is from an IZ-108 (The S-12 with the old style adjustable rib)

Like this...

post-1293-1219325272_thumb.jpg

You just remove the rail and you are left with the rear support. To convert a rib sighted S-12 to this setup you would also have to cut or grind off the front stud that the adjusting wheel threads onto.

I have one of dinzag's tall sights down in my shop. Let me measure that and compare it to my Russian clamp on sight on Blackie, and get right back to you.

My guess is you would want the taller one though. With the Russian shorty you have to crank the front pin pretty far up and I had to also trim a little of the bottom of my Glock sight to get it right..

Ok now these are measurements for the 12 ga so I'm not sure what dinzag's S-2o FSB is like, but the taller one he has for the 12 is 1.40" - 1.55"

The Russian one from Oleg is .780 - 1.24"

(These are the bottom and the top of the open top circular part that contains the sight pin..or "wings", measured up from the top of the bbl.)

The sight pin on both, adjusts from approx in the center of the circle, up to the top and a little above.

I also have the Russian elevated sight on my S-20 so I can give you that, but you need to ask dinzag for the measurements on his to compare it. Since the 20 has a smaller diameter barrel, the Russian sight is taller than that of the S-12. I assume this is also true with dinzag's sight.

My 20 ga sight = .912" - 1.44"

Hope that helps...

Thank you sir! B) I'll get with Dinzag for the measurements on his FSBs.

When you say you had to crank the sight pin pretty far up using the short Izzy FSB... how far up? Like almost to the top of the wings?

I guess a good starting point would be to compare the height of the G19 sight to the stock S-20 sight, and go from there. Knowing that Dinzag's short FSB is designed for use with the stock rear sight, if the G19 adds too much height it would make sense to go with the taller one.

When you say you had to crank the sight pin pretty far up using the short Izzy FSB... how far up? Like almost to the top of the wings?

I guess a good starting point would be to compare the height of the G19 sight to the stock S-20 sight, and go from there. Knowing that Dinzag's short FSB is designed for use with the stock rear sight, if the G19 adds too much height it would make sense to go with the taller one.

On mine with the Izzy sight the post is all the way up to the top of the wings. I would rather have the taller sight tower and have the pin in the center of the circle.

Dinzag's sights rock too! The set screws that secure it are down through the top of the sleeve so you don't have those fugly lugs hanging down to look like shit and get in the way of a bayo.

On mine with the Izzy sight the post is all the way up to the top of the wings. I would rather have the taller sight tower and have the pin in the center of the circle.

Dinzag's sights rock too! The set screws that secure it are down through the top of the sleeve so you don't have those fugly lugs hanging down to look like shit and get in the way of a bayo.

Try back tomorrow on the web site for a decent pic. After about 170 views a day, my BW useage on this is maxed and they turn over my clock at midnight so the site takes a day to recover. You get what you pay for I guess (nothing).

The front sight post I used was from Danzig. It is the ugly double screw clamp style, which doesn't look as clean as the others, but has not loosened after > 700 rounds of heavy loads through it. Prior to clamping it the barrel, I put a single strip of electrical tape anound the barrel circumference, tightened the hell out of the screws using red lock-tight on the threads. I think the tape helps over time with vibration and heat of metal to metal contact in staying put. I don't what it looks like as long as it works. It's looks like the left side 2nd row pic from this site, but was the perfect diameter for the 12ga barrel:

I think it is the lower one in height, because my sight post adjusted almost level to the bunny ears. I actually prefer this strange coincidance also though, because everything up front is 3 level dots, all I need to do is line up the center between the Glock rear paint, and it is dead on.

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_20/fsbs20.html

From looking more closely at Cobra's pic there, you guys have a different rear sight on the S-12 than I do on my S-20. My sight is already a pistol sight... I don't have that wide base that I could jam the plastic Glock sight down into.

Too bad, because the factory Glock "field goal" sight picture is really quick.

Try back tomorrow on the web site for a decent pic. After about 170 views a day, my BW useage on this is maxed and they turn over my clock at midnight so the site takes a day to recover. You get what you pay for I guess (nothing).

The front sight post I used was from Danzig. It is the ugly double screw clamp style, which doesn't look as clean as the others, but has not loosened after > 700 rounds of heavy loads through it. Prior to clamping it the barrel, I put a single strip of electrical tape anound the barrel circumference, tightened the hell out of the screws using red lock-tight on the threads. I think the tape helps over time with vibration and heat of metal to metal contact in staying put. I don't what it looks like as long as it works. It's looks like the left side 2nd row pic from this site, but was the perfect diameter for the 12ga barrel:

I think it is the lower one in height, because my sight post adjusted almost level to the bunny ears. I actually prefer this strange coincidance also though, because everything up front is 3 level dots, all I need to do is line up the center between the Glock rear paint, and it is dead on.

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_20/fsbs20.html

Sorry man I wasn't trying to crack on your sight. I've got the same one on the gun in the pic above. Nothing wrong with it function wise. It's stayed right there where I put it since day one, and I didn't use any loctite or tape.

I was just saying the ones dinzag actually makes look better IMO, and it would be more useful with other rear sights inf it was taller. If yours is like the one on the left, it's Russian.

From his site....

"The pic on the left is the short Russian FSB and is designed to be used with the factory pistol sights. It clamps on with 2 screws on the bottom of the barrel."

I've been kicking around in my head what I want for a tactical sight setup and come up with a plan that should work pretty well. At least on paper! :D

I want a compact reddot optic, and I want iron sights for backup. I'm not interested in co-witnessing because I want the full view through the optic. It has to be compact, effective, and above all it's gotta look good! lol!

So here's the plan...

Ultimak forward rail -lowest profile I'm aware of. Solid by all reports.

Dinzag tall front sight -looks very good, may add a luminous front post. Dinzag informed me that the height is 0.23" above factory with +/- .125" in adjustment. I haven't personally seen or measured an Ultimak, but by a visual estimate from the photos it should be just about right to work with this sight.

Williams Big game 5D aperture -I found it poking around through here I should be able to drill and tap this myself to the far rear of the rail. I may have to cut a recess to lower the sight line. Mount it square and forget it, adjustments are all made on the front sight. I'm hoping that the 5/16" opening should be good. My highly scientific R&D on this consisted of taping a small piece of cardboard with a 5/16" hole punched in it to the rear blade sight. Using the known opening measurement for scale I estimate that the center of the aperture should be 3/16" above the base, 5/8" overall width and 3/8" in length.

Aimpoint Micro T-1 -when I hit the lottery. I watched the recent video, no question that it can be used effectively in the right hands.

Tromix Shark Brake -because it looks badass.

Surefire handguard -if it's good. If not the factory with rail.

For accuracy, there's the side mount with scope option.

SaigaM11Duo.jpg

Edited by Thor's Hammer
What type of mounting system do you have for you C-More?

It was this one, but I paid around 30.00 for it. Not sure why this price is so high. It has not broken and doesn't move so thus far it is worth at least what I paid for it. It is a low mount.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAASGR1

What type of mounting system do you have for you C-More?

It was this one, but I paid around 30.00 for it. Not sure why this price is so high. It has not broken and doesn't move so thus far it is worth at least what I paid for it. It is a low mount.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAASGR1

It's about the same here: http://www.botachtactical.com/caasgunshmo.html

You might check in with topmaul who shoots a lot of competition with his. As I remember he may have been planning to try one of these out.

Cheers, HarvKY

• 2 months later...

I think for a 109 the easiest and cheapest is to drive/cut the factory sight and replace it with a Lyman #16 or Marbles #69 sight (think 10-22 factory sight), it should match-up perfectly with the taller AK front sights. I actually use one with the factory front (haven't had time to make the front sight yet), I just removed the little adjustment blade on the sight.

You will have to file the dovetail to fit the sight with a triangle file, the Russians don't use a common 3/8 dovetail, but it's close.

• 4 weeks later...
I think for a 109 the easiest and cheapest is to drive/cut the factory sight and replace it with a Lyman #16 or Marbles #69 sight (think 10-22 factory sight), it should match-up perfectly with the taller AK front sights. I actually use one with the factory front (haven't had time to make the front sight yet), I just removed the little adjustment blade on the sight.

You will have to file the dovetail to fit the sight with a triangle file, the Russians don't use a common 3/8 dovetail, but it's close.

I actually just installed my old 10/22 rear sight with a krebs front post. I like the sight picture better with the wide open rear sight, plus it is adjustable for elevation, so hopefully I can keep the post centered. Haven't shot it yet, but think it will work well.