Saiga in California?

Yes the parts count needs to be under 10. When i'm talkin' about DA with boner i'm saying that the rifle has to be modified to accept the Hi-cap mags. While not being illegal, if you piss off the wrong person or somebody at a range isn't up to date on current law the bullet guide could cost you $$$$$ in lawyer fees. It's kind of like an SKS. If you mess with it just a little you have to go all the way in order to be legal with CA and Fed law. Remember the douche bags who pass the laws don't care. They will just pay for the proper permits,while John Q Public gets fukd left and right.

If you do the full conversion make sure you install a mag lock. The CA DOJ never has given it's "Official" opinion on mag locks or monster man grips. These compliance parts have been designed to the letter of the law and DOJ won't say yes or no.

You know, some Saiga's came into the country as a sporting rifle that happens to accept high caps, my basic question is since it was sold to me by a gunshop, is it OK to use the old high cap mags. What you are stating is if I want to do a conversion or modify the rifle which I do not. same thing with an SKS, if you have one that you did not modify it is fine, is it the same with the Saiga?

When your talkin' about "some",are you refering to the old EAA Saiga's? Those rifles have to be registered as A.W.'s in CA. There is nothing that says you can't install a bullet guide and use Hi-caps on a featureless rifle. What i'm saying is if something were to happen and the legality of the mags were to come into question you may have some issues. As far as I know none of the RAA Saiga's come to the USA ready to accept a AK Hi cap. That means the rifle HAS TO BE MODIFIED to use AK mags. "Modified" is a bad word to D.A.'s in CA. It's not against the law, but I err on the side of caution. I have a family and if I end up in jail because a cop doesn't know Cali. firearm regs and somebody is running for office and needs to show he's "cleaning up the streets" by locking me up for "modifing" my rifle i'm fuct. I'll beat the case, but how much will it cost?

Bongos by the way how old are you? I don't want to see anyone get lock up for something dumb. I had an "incident" with some Alameda Sheriff Deputy's. I was on private property carrying a loaded G17 with 3 Hi-cap mags . Well I called them because some gang banger douche bags were tresspassing and I felt threatend.(5 of them, 1 of me) I didn't get locked up but my gun was confiscated. I had to meet with the D.A.'s office and jump through hoops to get my gun back. They told me my holster and the H.P. ammo was all illegal and I have no right to carry a gun on private property. I buried that moran with the actual law,not what I think the law is. Watch your six dude,in Cali all gun owners have targets on them, and that will only change when people understand the nanny state doesn't care about them.

I thought I had seen the EAA Saiga on the list. There was a guy at the Metcalf range who had 1 and he told me it was a reg. AW. I have the RAA Saigas and i'm on the fence about installing the bullet guides. I don't want to be made an example of. Back in the late 90's all the mags I was buying were handgun mags. I was hoping you wern't some 22 year old kid who picked up some AK mags up in Reno last month at the show and trying to skirt the law. Damn I knew I should of bought a few of those EAA saigas.

I thought I had seen the EAA Saiga on the list. There was a guy at the Metcalf range who had 1 and he told me it was a reg. AW. I have the RAA Saigas and i'm on the fence about installing the bullet guides. I don't want to be made an example of. Back in the late 90's all the mags I was buying were handgun mags. I was hoping you wern't some 22 year old kid who picked up some AK mags up in Reno last month at the show and trying to skirt the law. Damn I knew I should of bought a few of those EAA saigas.

Back then you had the choice of registering your AR, AK, HK, etc...as an AW.... many did not. I didn't see it on the 2000 list so there was no need to... and the 2000 list is all that matters. EAA are few in existence but you do come across one once in a while. EAA was on the proposed 2006 DOJ memo but was shut down in the court system.

Nope, it's not worth it to throw your career, family life, life style for some technicality on a stupid firearm, I won't play the OLL AR game or AK game... I just wanted to know this info and will continue to use the 10 rd mags at the range :rolleyes:

Edited by Bongos

The OLL thing intrests me. I'm still not sure if i'm gonna do it yet but the lowers are getting cheaper. I think someone on calguns is doing a group buy 85$ per lower. I really want to do an AR pistol. Not sure yet though, I need to start using my C&R. Well if S.H.T.F. your G.T.G. on the Hicap front. When we could buy all that shit I was younger and dumber and thought rifles are for old farts. Well now i'm kicking myself in the ass cause I didn't pick up AR nad AK mags. Hey are you anywhere in the Bay Area??

Edited by SJgunguy24
Nope, it's not worth it to throw your career, family life, life style for some technicality on a stupid firearm, I won't play the OLL AR game or AK game...

Actually, I have an OLL (SIG556), and it's not a "game" or just a technicality, it's the letter of the LAW, so I fear no LEO on the matter.

Nope, it's not worth it to throw your career, family life, life style for some technicality on a stupid firearm, I won't play the OLL AR game or AK game...

Actually, I have an OLL (SIG556), and it's not a "game" or just a technicality, it's the letter of the LAW, so I fear no LEO on the matter.

:super:

The OLL thing intrests me. I'm still not sure if i'm gonna do it yet but the lowers are getting cheaper. I think someone on calguns is doing a group buy 85$ per lower. I really want to do an AR pistol. Not sure yet though, I need to start using my C&R. Well if S.H.T.F. your G.T.G. on the Hicap front. When we could buy all that shit I was younger and dumber and thought rifles are for old farts. Well now i'm kicking myself in the ass cause I didn't pick up AR nad AK mags. Hey are you anywhere in the Bay Area??

Don't feel so bad, back then (Early 1990's) Colt AR mags were $5 for the 30 rounders and $12 for the 20 (Vietnam vintage and all) and AK mags were 5 for $15 (mostly Chinese Norinco), AK Drums were $25. Polytechs 30rders cost more in the $30 neighborhood... as it got closer to end of 1999... the AR mags hit low $40's

But most people consentraded on the Glock mags as those hit the $100 mark

I'm in SoCAL Orange County :haha:

+1 on Saiga's being perfectly legal in Cali. Neox, I live in Sacramento as well. I work closely with DOC, CHP, and Sac Sheriffs. I've taken my modified Saiga with 30,40 round mags and shot at many dept ranges in and around Sac and West Sac. Not only did i not have any problems, I got at least 2 leo to buy one.

When you are able to find a dealer, check out FFL Bob Snellings to do the transfer. Cheapest prices around ($50 total: 25 transfer, 25 dros)

-Dusty

dusty,

thanks a million for the advice. i live in elk grove and the closet range won't allow any a.k. rifles in. i'm pretty pissed about it, but looking else where in sacramento to bring it in to shoot. btw, i havent got my saiga yet, but will soon!

thanks a million for the advice. i live in elk grove and the closet range won't allow any a.k. rifles in. i'm pretty pissed about it, but looking else where in sacramento to bring it in to shoot. btw, i havent got my saiga yet, but will soon!

I'm glad i'm able to help out.

I've only shot at 2 public ranges in the Sac area, but they were both oll/"evil black rifle" friendly

Sac Valley Shooting Center in Sloughhouse. Bit of a drive but great range.

Cordova Shooting Center in Rancho Cordova. A lot closer, but a bit dated.

Edited by Res