Threading the factory FSB?

Instead of cuting off the barrel protector of the factory FSB and threading the barrel or installing a new FSB, is it possible to just thread the factory FSB barrel protector? Im not sure what thread size would be possible, but that way you dont have to permanently alter the rifle.

Instead of cuting off the barrel protector of the factory FSB and threading the barrel or installing a new FSB, is it possible to just thread the factory FSB barrel protector? Im not sure what thread size would be possible, but that way you dont have to permanently alter the rifle.

Well, threading it would "permanently alter the rifle", don't you think?

....and the diameter is too small to thread for 24mm brakes and too big (until you cut it off) for 14mm devices.

there are set screw models that I don't recomend because they go flying down range all too often. There are some made for the saiga specificaly that slip on and are then welded. otherwise you can use a pipe cutter to remove the sleeve and thread the barrel 14/1 . threading the sleeve itself isn't an option, w/o a whole pain in the ass w/ custom threads and a custom threaded muzzle device. 14/1 gives you the most options as far as choosing a muzzle device.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

If I had a lathe I'd just make an adapter to M24. It's like the CNCWarrior ones but a larger thread. The OD of my protector is ~.7", could probably cleanly thread it to M18 as long as the threads aren't too deep.

Just realized I seriously resurrected a thread. More proof I guess that it's been a while since I've been on the forum.