During my LE training and a carbine class I took years ago (from a Chuck Taylor guy), We did hundreds of dry fires in training with our ARs, and that was accepted. The Military does the same same.

I recently went to a weekend precision AR class to try out my new varminter build, and the instructors hear told us to NEVER dry fire an AR. My cousin just got out of the academy, and he was also told not to dry fire an AR without a dry fire device.

Whats the Deal? Perhaps someone more "AR savy" can help.

During my LE training and a carbine class I took years ago (from a Chuck Taylor guy), We did hundreds of dry fires in training with our ARs, and that was accepted. The Military does the same same.

I recently went to a weekend precision AR class to try out my new varminter build, and the instructors hear told us to NEVER dry fire an AR. My cousin just got out of the academy, and he was also told not to dry fire an AR without a dry fire device.

Whats the Deal? Perhaps someone more "AR savy" can help.

Sounds like folks who want to talk the talk, but ain't ever 'walked the walk'.

In their laundry list for the M16, the military requires the ability to be dry fired.

I have been dry firing them for 30 years without a problem! Just another instructor with an oddball opinion or two.

Nothing to see here folks, move along. :D

I have been dry firing them for 30 years without a problem! Just another instructor with an oddball opinion or two.

Nothing to see here folks, move along. :D

In the Colt armorer school I went to several years ago, I was told that it would not hurt to dry fire an AR. Just don't do it with the upper and lower seperated because it is possible to crack because there is nothing else there for the hammer to strike against. Maybe this guy was asleep for the first part of the dry fire lesson.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CZ52 - don't dry fire

Rimfire - don't dry fire

AR15 - fire it any way you possibly can!

That's not entirely true about rimfires anymore. Many newer rimfires such as the Rugger Mark III pistols have a firing pin stop that makes it impossible for the firing pin to ever reach the chamber edge. It depends on your individual rimfire.

It's also okay to dry fire AK's that have free-floating firing pins (not Saigas). After the first click, the pin will be fully forward and all the hammer will be striking is the flat rear of the bolt. It is a high-surface-area contact that cannot damage anything. AK's with sprung springs like Saigas still have the firing pin back protruding from the bolt, and dry firing these is slamming the firing pin forward. It's not particularly good to dry fire these.