ar mag adapter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

They are no longer made as far as I know, as ORF has stopped importing them due to lack of supply.

If you made them and sold them for 100 bucks you would make a killing, as there is no way they would cost more than 50-70 bucks per piece to manufacture. I think ORF sold them for 75 bucks when they were selling them new.

Additionally, if you made them so that there would be no modding needed to the mag well that would be incredible. Only downside to the Galil adapters is that they require some grinding. If that were not the case it would be phenomenal.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

They are no longer made as far as I know, as ORF has stopped importing them due to lack of supply.

If you made them and sold them for 100 bucks you would make a killing, as there is no way they would cost more than 50-70 bucks per piece to manufacture. I think ORF sold them for 75 bucks when they were selling them new.

Additionally, if you made them so that there would be no modding needed to the mag well that would be incredible. Only downside to the Galil adapters is that they require some grinding. If that were not the case it would be phenomenal.

whathesaidyn3.jpg with a bunch more "yes"s.....

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

agreed, if you can make one for under a hundred, i'd probably be all over that!

Does anyone have pics of the old ones?

Moto and everyone..............I wasn't goint to announce it but I am currently awaiting my prototype back from revisions. I did not want to announce or give details as of yet until it was ready for production nor want to make the mistake of a early announcement and take longer than expected to produce. But I can say I have addressed all issues and made improvements to the adapter for the Saiga .223. I can say target price will be around $100.00 dollars and I will be seeking beta testers very soon.

To the forum mods I hope I have not violated any rules. I will be seeking a change in status when I am ready for buisness.

Edited by avnate

IMG_4076.jpg

Just finished her today and I think she would be a great beta tester! As far as testing a wide range of magazine compatibility, I have Okay GI Mags, Colt GI Mags, Center Industries GI mags (some GIs with Magpul followers, some with GI Green followers), 30 round P-Mags (windowed and non windowed), 20 round P-Mags, 20 round GI mags, a 30 round Thermomold... :super:

is your adapter going to be the same as the old one. as in having to remove some material on the receiver to get it up in the gun? i was thinking of something more along the lines of the saiga 12 magwell that wouldnt need any material taken off. of course you will have to take a little off the lugs for the mag clearance but none for the adapter. it would pin through the mag release hole and have an ar15 style release on it. any feedback would be great. do you guys like that design or the old design the only drawback i see is you wouldnt be able to remove it as easily.

Edited by motopilot1

I think I'd just reproduce the original and let the user do the modding. Everyone seems to forget that this was a drop in part for the Galil, and there's a shitload of them coming from Century every day (really cheap this weekend too). I'd also be leary about the implications of using them for a Saiga.

Quite a few of us have done it, I think the concept just needs some tweeking to make it more user friendly in terms of cutting on the gun vs cutting on the adapter.

FWIW, I think it's a great option and wish you the best of luck. Mine works fine with pretty much all the AR mags, but P Mags fit and lock in the best. In the end it's all about getting the adapter/mag high enough in the receiver for proper stripping and feeding.

If they look homemade but work well $100 is a good price. If they look professional and work great, a person would be a silly fool to sell them ANY lower than $125.

To the guy who seems to know how much it would cost MAX to make, we can see how little YOUR time is worth. But who is to say how much someone else's time is worth, not you for sure. ORF made these and sold them at $75 years ago. What percentage has everything else gone up???????

Not to give to much away but it is injection molded. This will not be a homebrew adapter, many hours and dollars went into the development. It is expected to not only work the Saiga platform but cross over as well to other AKs, but the idea was intended for the Saiga. This will be the reason for beta testers here soon. I can say the design revolves around to minimal modifications to the gun as possible.

If they look homemade but work well $100 is a good price. If they look professional and work great, a person would be a silly fool to sell them ANY lower than $125.

To the guy who seems to know how much it would cost MAX to make, we can see how little YOUR time is worth. But who is to say how much someone else's time is worth, not you for sure. ORF made these and sold them at $75 years ago. What percentage has everything else gone up???????

If they are ordered in bulk from an outsourced manufacturer (as I assume they would be), then you post is kind of asshattery.

Also, shitting on someone else for no reason is not the best way to make friends.

Edit: And everything has gone up about 20% since the year 2000, which is when they started importing them. Even if we were using this as a tool to determine what they should cost, it would still be under a hundred bucks. So you are not just a dick, but an ignorant dick.

Edited by Virtuoso

well seeing as there is already one in development i will abandon the idea. it isnt even about making money its about what the gun community wants but cant buy thats the only reason i was thinking about it. more power to you avnate i hope it comes out nice. put me down for 2 of them.

If they are ordered in bulk from an outsourced manufacturer (as I assume they would be), then you post is kind of asshattery.

Also, shitting on someone else for no reason is not the best way to make friends.

Edit: And everything has gone up about 20% since the year 2000, which is when they started importing them. Even if we were using this as a tool to determine what they should cost, it would still be under a hundred bucks. So you are not just a dick, but an ignorant dick.

And that makes you what??? A namecalling punk with plenty of keyboard courage.

Hey everybody, big bad Virtuoso is the one who is going to set the price of these things from now on. Anyone makeing or selling one MUST check with his cheep ass beforehand. He will NOT stand for any price other than what he thinks is fair. He will dictate what your time and material is worth. He will be the final word on the price. Virtuoso, go get a real job so you can afford one of these.

Edited by Pointer55

Hey everybody, big bad Virtuoso is the one who is going to set the price of these things from now on. Anyone makeing or selling one MUST check with his cheep ass beforehand. He will NOT stand for any price other than what he thinks is fair. He will dictate what your time and material is worth. He will be the final word on the price. Virtuoso, go get a real job so you can afford one of these.

Pointer55,

Dude, you've been here a week with 3 posts and you're talking shit unprovoked-why?

No dog in the fight-just say'n

Pointer55,

Dude, you've been here a week with 3 posts and you're talking shit unprovoked-why?

So you need 33 posts to namecall like Virtuosa? OK got it paladin! Actually go back and read who was the one to start namecalling. And if I'm talkin shit, you must be spewing it. :rolleyes:

mods, anyone?

this seemed like a decent thread, and i for one would be very interested in news from anyone who intends to manufacture new magwell adapters. The price of a product that does not exist is a matter only of concern for the manufacturer, at this point, and arguing over seems silly and distracting.

So, in an attempt to get this back on topic, to the user who says he is working on getting one made, how is that process going, and do you need anything to continue development? It always seemed to me that it would be a simple matter to manufacture an injection molded plastic body that accepts readily availiable ar-15 mag releases, and would cut down your parts to have made to a single piece. Ive been working on a project that might very well be greatly augmented by such a products availiability, and would love to hear any information you might feel able to share.

If the nature of this thread is offputting, feel free to send me a PM.

Pointer55,

So you need 33 posts to namecall like Virtuosa? OK got it paladin! Actually go back and read who was the one to start namecalling. And if I'm talkin shit, you must be spewing it. :rolleyes:

Oh, I get it. your a 12 year old on your mom's computer trying out your new trolling wheels. Get it? Trolls, kid.. damn I crack me up. :haha:

Pointer55,

Oh, I get it. your a 12 year old on your mom's computer trying out your new trolling wheels. Get it? Trolls, kid.. damn I crack me up. :haha:

Paladin, not only are you a dick, you are an ignorant dick. I am 13 and outgrew my trolling wheels at least a week ago. And this computer is a DELL so nanana :haha:

Sorry for not getting back with some of you. I am here close to Hurricane central and family and work is taking up my time. Progress will be slow this week as I am needing to work as much as I can to fund the next round for the project. I hope to make a new thread on the subject here soon.

I assume these will require bullet guides?

I haven't bothered to upgrade my rifle to take Waffle or Galil mags yet, as I got a good bunch of Surefire 30 rnders with the rifle. I had hoped to be able to use these at first, and then if I'm in a hurry, pop in an adapter for AR mags. I guess if no one's adapter works in a vanilla Saiga I can just make it up as I go.

with a bunch more "yes"s.....

Look, why does everyone get 'hot' for AR mags in an AK? I understand the advantages of using a single type of mag for multiple firearms. But using AR mags in an AK is like putting Yugo wheels & tires on your Hummer. AR mags have NEVER been the strong point of the AR weapons system. ArmaLite designed things with the mags designated as 'disposable.' Use 'em and toss 'em. Check your references...

Just for the sake of argument, look at the AR vs AK (Galil) Orlite mags. The AR Orlites are regarded as unreliable (they crack). The Galil (AK) Orlites are apparently 100% OK mags. You want to change your Saiga, so it'll take 'throw-away' mags that crack (or fail in other ways) upfront, but needs to have the adapter removed to use reliable mags? Fine, if you live in a 'Blue State' (that's "Democrat" to you union members - and I've been a union member, so I know), where you have to use "PRE-BAN" mags that you already own to be legal. Knock yourself out.

Otherwise, it's just plain silly...

I assume these will require bullet guides?
Most certainly.
with a bunch more "yes"s.....

Look, why does everyone get 'hot' for AR mags in an AK? I understand the advantages of using a single type of mag for multiple firearms. But using AR mags in an AK is like putting Yugo wheels & tires on your Hummer. AR mags have NEVER been the strong point of the AR weapons system. ArmaLite designed things with the mags designated as 'disposable.' Use 'em and toss 'em. Check your references...

Just for the sake of argument, look at the AR vs AK (Galil) Orlite mags. The AR Orlites are regarded as unreliable (they crack). The Galil (AK) Orlites are apparently 100% OK mags. You want to change your Saiga, so it'll take 'throw-away' mags that crack (or fail in other ways) upfront, but needs to have the adapter removed to use reliable mags? Fine, if you live in a 'Blue State' (that's "Democrat" to you union members - and I've been a union member, so I know), where you have to use "PRE-BAN" mags that you already own to be legal. Knock yourself out.

Otherwise, it's just plain silly...

I happen to be sitting on a metric assload of H&K High-Reliability AR15 mags and some Magpul PMags. I never got into the USGI aluminum jobs after I left the service.

I think it'd be great if I could just pop the adaptor in and out as needed and use whichever mags I wanted at the time. . .