ar mag adapter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with a bunch more "yes"s.....

Look, why does everyone get 'hot' for AR mags in an AK? I understand the advantages of using a single type of mag for multiple firearms. But using AR mags in an AK is like putting Yugo wheels & tires on your Hummer. AR mags have NEVER been the strong point of the AR weapons system. ArmaLite designed things with the mags designated as 'disposable.' Use 'em and toss 'em. Check your references...

Just for the sake of argument, look at the AR vs AK (Galil) Orlite mags. The AR Orlites are regarded as unreliable (they crack). The Galil (AK) Orlites are apparently 100% OK mags. You want to change your Saiga, so it'll take 'throw-away' mags that crack (or fail in other ways) upfront, but needs to have the adapter removed to use reliable mags? Fine, if you live in a 'Blue State' (that's "Democrat" to you union members - and I've been a union member, so I know), where you have to use "PRE-BAN" mags that you already own to be legal. Knock yourself out.

Otherwise, it's just plain silly...

I see what you're saying, and you're right the standard AK mags are far more durable than the AR mags, but there is one AR mag that far exceeds in my opinion every mag out there, and that's the Magpul P-mag. They have literally shot these mags, ran them over with trucks, smashed them with sledge hammersand they still function. I have a ton of them and if I could use them in my new AK it would be worth $100 and then some...

AR mags have their appeal. For one, they are everywhere. There are many US made so they are 3 potential compliance parts. They drop free, and if you are used to AR's then the mag insertion/mag changes are more familiar. Ar guys already have big pile of them.

Look, why does everyone get 'hot' for AR mags in an AK? I understand the advantages of using a single type of mag for multiple firearms. But using AR mags in an AK is like putting Yugo wheels & tires on your Hummer.

Otherwise, it's just plain silly...

Actually, using AK-style mags in my Saiga is like the Yugo wheels on my Hummer. I don't want to use AR mags for their price or durability. I want them because if I'm using my rifle for it's intended purpose to the fullest extent of my 2nd Amendment rights, all the dead men at my feet will have AR mags in their pouches.

Maybe they are throw-away mags, but when all my Orlites are empty in the middle of a firefight, do I really have time to take bullets from the dead and refill my mags?

Battlefield pickup, friend, it'll save your life.

Edited by SirROFL
I assume these will require bullet guides?

:rolleyes:

Features

No Bullet guide needed to work, already incorperated into adapter

Injection moulded PPA material (less weight)

Minimal metal work to receiver to make work

Magwell loading for faster change outs

Can be adapted to other AK platforms

Working on geting a ambi mag release solution at the moment.

Edited by avnate

Big +1 on the ambi mag release. The things I like the most on my UA mag adapter(s) is the straight insert, and push button release. The issue of mag quality is a crock of shit these days as there are several quality AR mags available for around $16. I would like to see a mag release that could be hit with your index finger if possible.

Still working on it guys. Hope to have test adapters to beta testers soon for evaluations. Hang in there.

I should be getting a brand new 223 received from a local FFL this week. I would make a PERFECT beta tester for you :angel: as someone with a current model with no rounds count ;);)

Well I'll trump that with 1 chinese, one romanian, one Yugo 95, One saiga factory, unfired, and a saiga conversion model for beta testing.

LOL

Edited by gunnysmith

I would love to be a tester. Plenty of rounds and AR mags. Should be buying a few S223's in the next few days... Only SMALL issue is I won't be home to do it until December! Now if you wanted to send a S223 and adapter here to Iraq, I would have all the time in the world to shoot many rounds of govt issue through it!

That said, hope your testers can give you some good feedback and you can get them out to the rest of us. I would love to be able to get one as soon as you have them available.

The Ambi mag release is sounding good. If it is reachable with either index finger it will make for a good thing for ambi/lefties like me...

I like to be able to do everything equally well with both hands. That is how I was taught as a child with guns, and how I train myself as an adult with every gun I own or can get my hands on.

As soon as you have something available I will be a customer for a few!

I would love to be a tester. Plenty of rounds and AR mags. Should be buying a few S223's in the next few days... Only SMALL issue is I won't be home to do it until December! Now if you wanted to send a S223 and adapter here to Iraq, I would have all the time in the world to shoot many rounds of govt issue through it!

That said, hope your testers can give you some good feedback and you can get them out to the rest of us. I would love to be able to get one as soon as you have them available.

The Ambi mag release is sounding good. If it is reachable with either index finger it will make for a good thing for ambi/lefties like me...

I like to be able to do everything equally well with both hands. That is how I was taught as a child with guns, and how I train myself as an adult with every gun I own or can get my hands on.

As soon as you have something available I will be a customer for a few!

I'll bow out to the man giving service to our country.

May The Lord watch over you on your journey.

I know you are well in to this process. Have looked in to adding a LRBHO to the adapter? I dont have one in hand but if it could be in there I am sure there are people who would like to have it. when you rock a ak mag in fully loaded its eazy to get it in. but when you push an ar mag in fully loaded with the bolt in the way its a whole nother story. YMMV

NFFOZ

I know you are well in to this process. Have looked in to adding a LRBHO to the adapter? I dont have one in hand but if it could be in there I am sure there are people who would like to have it. when you rock a ak mag in fully loaded its eazy to get it in. but when you push an ar mag in fully loaded with the bolt in the way its a whole nother story. YMMV

NFFOZ

Even though I thought one for the S223 would be nice, it wasn't in my list of priorities during development due to the wide varieties of AR mags out there. I would hate for it to only work in a select group and lock the gun up after each round in others........... Makes for a bad battlefield pickup situation.

Hmmm...... Might be a idea for Cobra if he wanted to look into it.

Everyone who IM'ed me on beta testing that I I approved please IM me your info. Please include contact information as well as a list of what AK platform you are going to be testing in. I am trying to have this sorted out so I have enought beta mags available for testing. Thanks

...Maybe they are throw-away mags, but when all my Orlites are empty in the middle of a firefight, do I really have time to take bullets from the dead and refill my mags?

Battlefield pickup, friend, it'll save your life.

I'm a fan of 'interchangeability,' compadre, but planning to pick up loaded mags on the battlefield is (IMHO) like planning to pick up a good lunch, layin' in the street, on the way to work everyday.

Murphy's Law, every time.

(And, yes, I do indeed own an AR... ;>)

I'm a fan of 'interchangeability,' compadre, but planning to pick up loaded mags on the battlefield is (IMHO) like planning to pick up a good lunch, layin' in the street, on the way to work everyday.

Murphy's Law, every time.

Murphy's Law doesn't discriminate between my Surefires and a PMAG. However, probability suggests the likelyhood of finding useful material on another person goes up when you use the same stuff.

I wouldn't plan on picking up lunch laying in the street, unless everyone else in the city was on lunchbreak, and I was killing them.

But, I'm also building an AR atm, so I suppose the whole battlefield pickup thing can be secondary in peacetime.

Edited by SirROFL
I would be interested in these if I could use magpul mags in my Saiga .223.

PMags were a top concern in the development, they are a little thicker than standard AR mags but they will work. Drop free function will get better as the PMag and adapter is worn in. Or you could just lightly sand the side ribs on the PMag to speed up the process.

Been away from here for a while, a couple of thoughts being the first UA adapter mod on this forum -

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17312&st=0

Make the adapter attach to the bottom of the receiver using the rear mag catch and the front mag lip in the trunion with out opening the mag well or grinding the bottom of the lugs.

Give the mag more tilt than the UA adapter so less emphasis is on the bullet guide and more in line with the stock feed angle.

Ambi drop free mag release operated by the trigger finger.

Glad to see someone with production capabilities has taken this on!

Edited by dyi
Been away from here for a while, a couple of thoughts being the first UA adapter mod on this forum -

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17312&st=0

Make the adapter attach to the bottom of the receiver using the rear mag catch and the front mag lip in the trunion with out opening the mag well or grinding the bottom of the lugs.

Give the mag more tilt than the UA adapter so less emphasis is on the bullet guide and more in line with the stock feed angle.

Ambi drop free mag release operated by the trigger finger.

Glad to see someone with production capabilities has taken this on!

If by more tilt you are talking about how the nose of the Galil adapter sat to low and improperly fed then yes I did raise the feed angle.

Another concern addressed was the shaving of the rivits. Is this what you meant by lugs? There will still need to be some modification to the trunion to allow the mag to fully insert, so some material will still need to be removed. Overall it is a better design and it will be safe.