ar mag adapter

FWIW-on my UA adapter mod I found that getting the mag as high as possible in the receiver and stripping the round straight paid more dividens than canting the mag or follower to get the nose up, BUT it does have to be high enough to clear the front of the guide.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of 'interchangeability,' compadre, but planning to pick up loaded mags on the battlefield is (IMHO) like planning to pick up a good lunch, layin' in the street, on the way to work everyday.

Murphy's Law, every time.

Murphy's Law doesn't discriminate between my Surefires and a PMAG. However, probability suggests the likelyhood of finding useful material on another person goes up when you use the same stuff.

I wouldn't plan on picking up lunch laying in the street, unless everyone else in the city was on lunchbreak, and I was killing them.

But, I'm also building an AR atm, so I suppose the whole battlefield pickup thing can be secondary in peacetime.

It's your call. I personally would rather have a boat load of 30+ rd mags that I own (thank you, CDNN, for the wonderful $5 Galil Orlites ;>), & can test for fit & function, and load all at once if need be, than some theoretical potential for 'battlefield pickup.' But that's just me, and I am just a gray haired old fart. I'm guessing we probably would agree, however, on the wisdom of standardizing ammunition. That's the main reason I sold the 7.62 AKs I had built, and did a 5.56 Saiga conversion (I've got two other firearms that chamber 5.56)...

Currently still researching the ambi release. Making progress but it takes time to see what is feaseable and what is not. So far got a solution for the index finger release but now to see where to source and how much it is going to take to accomplish it.

Just got done with the ambi release. Here is a pic of the test. I also have a video of it springing back....... it is simple in the way it works. KISS method at its finest. Now just waiting on hearing back from some part suppliers.

Not sure where to post the video but here is a snap shot of the button. I will be getting them in black but only could find silver when I doing initial research.

post-8730-1222700843.jpg

I'm a little confused. are you using what is pictured to release the AR mag or the adapter?

It will release the AR Mag, not the adapter. It will not be affixed to the adapter, the release mech will become a permenant affixture of the AK and will only function when the adapter is in place. It will not affect the function of the normal AK mag release.

Just curious, do you happen to have an ETA and price estimate for us?

Currently November timeframe, as with everthing else it is subject to change. But so far no forseeable setbacks as all legal work is completed. Pricing was already estimated early in the thread. But if/when a ambi mag adapter is added then is will be adjusted. I can say I am exited at what it looks like. But for privacy issues I have to keep that under wraps. But real soon I promise......

To mods: Once again I hope to not have violated any rules.

Edited by avnate
I'm willing to wait, but I'd certainly work my ass off to get 'em out before the election if I were you. Would be a great time to unveil a new product.

I know that is why I am working on it as fast as I can, I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Even if the elected person goes into office it would take a few months to pass the legislation to reinact the ban. I am sure/hope it would get shot down as the previous ones have, only time will tell. Even if it did all this would do is make the adapter that much more valuable. I doubt my adapter would be listed in the ban, HiCap mags yes but not a adapter for those who already have them.

Might just go ahead and release the adapter without the ambi release and come back later and make it retrofit. That will help speed up thing to ensure a pre-election release. Thoughts?

Edited by avnate
I'm willing to wait, but I'd certainly work my ass off to get 'em out before the election if I were you. Would be a great time to unveil a new product.

I know that is why I am working on it as fast as I can, I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Even if the elected person goes into office it would take a few months to pass the legislation to reinact the ban. I am sure/hope it would get shot down as the previous ones have, only time will tell. Even if it did all this would do is make the adapter that much more valuable. I doubt my adapter would be listed in the ban, HiCap mags yes but not a adapter for those who already have them.

Might just go ahead and release the adapter without the ambi release and come back later and make it retrofit. That will help speed up thing to ensure a pre-election release. Thoughts?

As long as the adapter has a drop mag release then I say release it now and follow up with the ambi release. You leave the option up to the consumer and at the same time guarantee the product comes out before it can be banned. I say go for it.

Prototypes will be available in the next two weeks. Who is exited...... I AM!

I'm excited! Where do I get in line? :) Still looking to be available at the previously mentioned price point?

$100-$110 price point. Looking into a presale once I get a buisness membership here.

Clarification..... I want to extend/limit the presale to contributing members and buisness members of the site. I want to make sure that Saiga12 continues to prosper. It is sites like this that help further the product development of our hobby and passion and this a way to ensure this.

Edited by avnate