Whats the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 AGP mags??

Just wondering, have a bunch of the late production Gen 1's, post metal clip flying off ones.

Seem OK to me.

Whats the deal with Gen 2?

If I understand it correctly the Gen 2 Follower is 1/4 of an inch shorter to aid in inserting a fully loaded magazine with the bolt forward. I have a gen 2 follower that I have yet to install it and try it out. If it works I will file all of my followers down to match it.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Just wondering, have a bunch of the late production Gen 1's, post metal clip flying off ones.

Seem OK to me.

If I understand it correctly the Gen 2 Follower is 1/4 of an inch shorter to aid in inserting a fully loaded magazine with the bolt forward. I have a gen 2 follower that I have yet to install it and try it out. If it works I will file all of my followers down to match it.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I used a dremmel cut off wheel to do my 4 Gen 1 mag followers, went quickly and turned out nice.

Edited by waltham_41

Seem OK to me.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I used a dremmel cut of wheel to do my 4 Gen 1 mag followers, went quickly and turned out nice.

Did you take a full 1/4 in off of them?

Seem OK to me.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I used a dremmel cut of wheel to do my 4 Gen 1 mag followers, went quickly and turned out nice.

Did you take a full 1/4 in off of them?

Yes I did, the AGP site says that cutting 1/4 inch of the front legs of the follower will gain you most of the benefits of the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 followers.

They make them so I will take them to their word.

You are welcome guys, glad to be of help.

Juggernaut, it does seem to make it easier to load and put a round in the chamber with a full mag.

Its a real simple mod and I cant see where it would hurt anything so I did it.

Trust me, if I was in doubt I would not have done it.

If I am not mistaken the followers are marked also.

You can buy the Gen 2 followers at AGP for 10 bucks each, but they are straight up and tell you that cutting 1/4 inch off of the front leg of the follower will basically get you a Gen 2 follower.

Pretty nice of a company to tell you how to avoid spending more money with them and just mod what you have if you ask me.

I dremmel marked my followers "modded to Gen 2 specs" in case I ever sold the mags. Would have for the new owner to cut them again.

I didnt take any pics of doing the modding, but I measure 1 1/8 inch from the top to bottom of the front leg of the follower after the mod.

NOT measuring from the very top of the follower, but the front flat part from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.