Any interest in Garands here ??

Saw the thread on the Garand earlier. I'm thinking of making a trip up to Camp Perry to pick up another batch. I usually ride up once a year and hand select my quota for the year. I hand select my guns to have good bores with the least amount of muzzle erosion and chamber wear as possible while still having barrel dates to match the sn of the gun and to have original GI marked stocks. It takes all day to pick thru what's available. Just checking interest at this time. A little TLC and these usually clean up pretty nice...Tom/VK

Id be interested in a nicer Garand, and would trust your knowledge on the subject, depending on the price.

+1, Ive got my C&R and was considering getting a Garand through the CMP. I was looking at a "correct grade" or "collectors grade".

My customers have been fine with the $100 hand select fee for my going and picking out the best guns off the rack at CMP. It really does burn up two days to make the trip and spend hours and hours playing with M1s.......... :smoke:

This includes shipping?

I'll hold off for now maybe later LOL

M1Garand.jpg

:ded: You're evil. I tell ya what, I'll buy all those from you for $1000 so you wont miss out on this deal. Is it your opinion that the CMP is the best way to get a Garand, that's what I was told. I have a book on Garands, but I don't exactly know what to look for or what the different variations go for. I'm actually kind of lost, I hate that feeling.

well, Mr Cole has been a gunsmith for over 35 years.

What the arrangement between He and I is, is really none of anyone's business, but I will tell you this much - It was done on a handshake. See how many people you can do that with, when it comes to money, nowadays. It isnt many.

If Mr Cole gives you his word, it is good. period.

I do understand what gunnysmith said, however, and completely agree with his concerns about "in hand". I am addressing that with this reply.

Tom - my soon to be brother in law still wants one, as old as you can find. See if you can get him one with a flaming bomb on it, although I know thats asking a bit much. He probably wont shoot it much, so checking the crown and such isnt so much an issue in his case, so much as provenance and nostalgic value. It will be his first gun, as he was a die hard anti-gunner in a big way for a long time until he met my sister. He is just dying to do his patriotic duty and do all the paperwork and all that fine crap to recieve it personally to him.-

By the way, guys - neat little trick -

on most guns, you can check the crown VERY easily. take a live round and put it point-first into the muzzle. due to rifling differences in various guns, it will vary, but a good crown and bore should have 1/8" abouts or more above the knurling of the bullet itselt still exposed, and up to 1/4" from the case neck. This is VERY impolite to do at a shop. ask first.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a real stickler for aesthetics. I like the look of a service weapon. That being said I'd be interested in one that would fire reliably regardless of appearance and I have a friend who may be as well, but he is pickier. We were just looking at Garand's the other day...