EAA is importing ZASTAVA (serbian) sporter AK's

Didnt see any mention here, probably old news, but i happened across this again today and thought i would mention it.

Anyone know anything about a timeframe?

BA-PAP-08.png

http://www.eaacorp.com/zastava-pap-TP.html

Im a big fan of Zastava, so i might pick one up down the road.

Also note the slant cut receiver, and forward trigger group. might be the same angle as the VEPRs.

Zastava, what we used to call Yugos, has always made some great quality products, even if most of what we can get here is wartorn scrap. Of course, we cant call them yugos anymore, really, as Yugoslavia doesnt exist, now. Not sure about this particular rifle, but most of their wood is birch, of pretty decent quality, and i would imagine this is the same, but with a dress finish on it.

Didnt see any mention here, probably old news, but i happened across this again today and thought i would mention it.

I e-mailed EAA the other day asking about a time frame and they said it would be after the new year. I have heard they are being held up at customs. :killer:

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed EAA the other day asking about a time frame and they said it would be after the new year. I have heard they are being held up at customs. :killer:

Yup, they will be released just in time to be banned by the new administration. Figures.....

• 2 months later...

Yup, they will be released just in time to be banned by the new administration. Figures.....

Aww, you gotta think positive.....none of that banned by new administration stuff..

Yeah, Zastava AK pattern rifles are nice, but I'll believe these P.A.P. rifles are being imported when I actually see them here. As Nalioth mentioned, the EAA website has listed them for a long time, but to my knowledge none have been imported yet, so they are still vaporware.

I really wish we could get the Zastava M91....

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/images/vojni...91_engleski.htm

........in the U.S., but from what I've heard for some reason they aren't importable, though with the Romanian PSL being importable, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be as well.

Edited by Frogfoot
I really wish we could get the Zastava M91....

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/images/vojni...91_engleski.htm

........in the U.S., but from what I've heard for some reason they aren't importable, though with the Romanian PSL being importable, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be as well.

Me too. It probably has something to do with the evil bayonet lug and the threads of death on the muzzle...otherwise, it'd be another huntin' rifle. :devil:

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone is as big a fan of the Yugos as I am, but, mostly because i like to resurrect dead threads, i thought id mention that i handled one of these rifles on saturday and the fit and finish was fantastic. All around, great feeling rifle. I should have taken some pictures, but it slipped my mind, and there was far too much to drool over.

According to the EAA salesman I talked to they will be available, for real this time, starting on the 16th or 18th of this month, with regular shipments coming in after that.

:super:

I dont see why he would lie to me, but of course its possible, myself,

i-want-to-believe.jpg

Boy, you are useless in the fight for our rights aren't you?

Not sure if anyone is as big a fan of the Yugos as I am, but, mostly because i like to resurrect dead threads, i thought id mention that i handled one of these rifles on saturday and the fit and finish was fantastic. All around, great feeling rifle. I should have taken some pictures, but it slipped my mind, and there was far too much to drool over.

According to the EAA salesman I talked to they will be available, for real this time, starting on the 16th or 18th of this month, with regular shipments coming in after that.

So, what features did these have? Was it a single stack magwell? 7.62x39mm? Where was it that you got to handle one pre-release?

I was at the NRA Trade Show, lots of fantastic stuf there.

It was a doublestack magwell as far as I could tell, or a real fat single stack, but there was no mag in it to be sure, id guess it comes with a stubby mag like the saigas.

No bayo lug, and no threaded muzzle, which was the only downside i saw. the upside of that is that it had a standard front sight with no muzzle sleeve like the saiga, so it should be easy to rectify.

all smooth edges, and an all around great fit.

It looked like the rear receiver angle was rounded, so i dont think vepr furniture would be a direct swap, but that could have just been the way the wood was cut, and i didnt mind the furniture that was on it, at all. (then again, i like wood furniture, its classy)

No grenade launching valve like the m70, :sad: but it did have the crosspin that keeps the recoil spring from moving.

and yes, 7.62x39

please note that i have not heard of any dealers preordering them or anything, and ive asked around, so the salesman might have been just blowing smoke up my a.

Edited by ReverendFranz

I know I liked my old Yugo...... bought it brand new for $3990 in 1988........ red with tan interior and the hood scoop! :haha:

yugousposter.jpg

The thing was a blast to drive, bang through all four gears wide open and still not break the speed limit! :)

It was like a street legal go-kart!

I actually bought it instead of a go to work beater so I could keep high miles off of the new Mustang at the time.

If you weren't sickened by the sight of the Yugo, here's more info about it from the Zastava factory:

Zastava

I know I liked my old Yugo...... bought it brand new for $3990 in 1988........ red with tan interior and the hood scoop! :haha:

yugousposter.jpg

Ah, as Sgt. Joe Friday once said, "The cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian technology!" :lolol:

• Like 1

yugousposter.jpg

Ah, as Sgt. Joe Friday once said, "The cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian technology!" :lolol:

...courtesy of FIAT.

Who knows? Maybe with FIAT taking over Chrysler, they can start offering us goodies like the Yugo once again. Only it'll be made in the USA and cost $25,000. :D

yugousposter.jpg

...courtesy of FIAT.

Who knows? Maybe with FIAT taking over Chrysler, they can start offering us goodies like the Yugo once again. Only it'll be made in the USA and cost $25,000. :D

I keep trying to convince people that the govt should rename Chrysler Auto Group " American Leyland"

• 2 weeks later...

So, They are showing up on gunbroker (like here: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130994972) and will run around $399 next month retail right???. They look shitty. No threaded barrel, cleaning rod is absent on half the models and to make it even more unappealing, they only take single stack magazines (although an hour and 1 dremel tool will solve that problem).

:smoke:

Edited by bigsal
So, They are showing up on gunbroker (like here: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130994972) and will run around $399 next month retail right???. They look shitty. No threaded barrel, cleaning rod is absent on half the models and to make it even more unappealing, they only take single stack magazines (although an hour and 1 dremel tool will solve that problem).

:smoke:

Damn, no threaded barrel, and only comes with low cap mags. What could we do? Alas.

G039.jpg

Oh right, i remember where i am now. haha. I like em.

I got one at a gun show yesterday.

I posted pics and a review HERE

Nice writeup.

Can you make some pictures of the rear block that aren't at a cockeyed angle?

I suspect the stock envelops a square cut receiver, but can't really tell from the pix.

(pix w/o the stock at all would be a plus)