Condition for new .308?

Just got this today, after having it on backorder for 4 months. 22" .308. It arrived in a plastic-sealed box, with one hole in the box. I can't expect the best quality after it being imported from russia, but the receiver has a bunch of small scratches, the stock has a nice long scratch on it, and there are other small dings. My biggest gripe is mostly the crown, which is missing a lot of the paint, along with parts of the front sight.

For the $300 I paid pre-Saiga-price-increase, should I be complaining about the quality in which the gun was received? For that matter, is there a way to fix the crown, and is the lack of paint/coating going to make the rifle any less resilient to the elements?

post-10886-1220976237_thumb.jpg

Edited by izzay
That looks like shipping / storage wear. It is allso not the muzzle crown, it is the front sight - the barrel is inside, to protect the crown.

Just realized this. I was trying to work out how the front sight fit on exactly, and realized it was all one piece. I have no intention of replacing the furniture anytime soon, but it has most of the damage, yet I'm still not concerned too much.

My main concern is still, will the lack of paint make it susceptible to corrosion at all?

Otherwise, I'm happy to finally be part of the Saiga family, even if that $.30/rd ammunition now costs $1.

The paint on the end of my 20" .223's FSB/muzzle came off after my first time shooting it. I haven't noticed any corrosion more than a year later. You could take touch up bluing pen to it if it really bothers you. You got an excellent deal on that rifle.

I got this today with orders from Mr Cole to "shoot the shit out of it". Not exactly on topic, but it WAS a 22" 308-1 before Mr Cole got ahold of it. Im planning on bringing it with my x39 to a local range, and shooting that one first, then hope to startle whoever is on the next lane when they think its the same round thats about to go down it. It should have quite a bark to it.

Just thought Id show the newbie some of what can be done to these rifles.

This would run the public around 950-1050 for this same package. Note - moccasin, tackle box, and gravel with beautiful brown oak leaves not included.

post-83-1221020664.jpg