First Run Drums and Ammo type

I wanted to go over the ammo recommendations I mentioned in my last update. Also note the new spring design will replace the old spring design in the second and all future runs of the drums.

Here is how it reads in the user's guide being sent with every drum:

Your drum is shipped with the spring set at 3 revolutions (empty). We do not recommend setting this tension higher than 3 1/3 (empty).

We are currently designing a stronger spring to expand the compatibility of the drum to include a wider range of ammo makes and variations. Currently the springs used for the first run of drums lack the pressure to feed many types of high brass ammunition reliably. A replacement spring will be sent to all first run customers free of any charges. The new spring design will also phase out the old spring design in the following production runs. This section will be revised and sent along with the replacement spring to detail the altered methods of use and operation.

Until your replacement spring is received, please follow these spring settings and use these ammo recommendations for best results.

Setting the spring at 2 revolutions (empty) is an effective configuration for most low and medium brass and many low recoil high brass ammunition makes. Some examples of reliable types are: The Federal, Winchester and Remington 100rd Value packs, Winchester AA and reduced or low recoil slugs and buckshot. High Brass Beneeke KO 1600fps 1oz slugs, Speer Lawman slugs and buckshot, Winchester Ranger LE slugs and buckshot and Federal Low Recoil True-Ball 1300fps 1oz. slugs feed reliably on 2 revolutions (empty). If you have a problem feeding any of these on 2 revolutions (empty), a setting of 2 ½ to 3 revolutions will clean the feed up.

At 3 revolutions (empty) of spring tension it cleans up the feeding of a few high brass makes. These include Remington Express, 1325fps, OO and #4 Buckshot and Federal Premium, 1325fps, OO and #4 Copper Platted Buckshot.

At a tension setting of 3 1/3 revolutions (empty), we did not see a significant improvement of reliability with other high brass loads. Many high brass rounds do not consistently feed reliably with the current springs. We strongly recommend that you adhere to the ammo and spring tension recommendations made above until the replacement springs have been received and installed.

Some high brass rounds that do not function well with the current springs are:

Winchester OO buckshot, Federal Power Shock 1oz slug 1610fps , Winchester Super X 1oz slug 1600fps, Remington Slugger 1oz Slug, Federal Premium Tactical LE Flight Control OO Buckshot 1325fps, Federal Tactical LE 1oz slug 1610fps and Federal Vita-Shock True-ball Rifled 1oz HP Slug 1600fps.

The new spring design will allow most, if not all, of these ammo types to function reliably.

And here is some info not included in the manual. We tested the drums with the spring set at 4 empty and it cleaned up a couple of the troubled rounds. At 4 the spring is past the design of the spring though.

At 5 empty, the the extra tension cleaned up the feed. For example, about the worst of the bad mentioned above was the Federal Power Shock 1oz slug 1610fps. At 5 empty they fired flawless though. But don't think this is a fix with your spring. 5 revolutions will destroyed the spring after a couple hundred rounds through the drum. Your spring also might not hold position and come free in the spring cavity at 5 wraps and really dig into the material of the gear damaging it.

Please leave it to us though to do more testing and to get you a replacement spring before spending your time and money on the mentioned problem rounds. Please stick to low and medium bass and the high brass mentioned above. If you find this unacceptable, I understand and please cancel your order before we ship your drums. If you do want to cancel your order, please send us an email with a subject title of " Cancel Order" to insure we receive the request. And please send it before we ship your order.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Mike great piece of machinery well thought out. I'm writing to you because I ordered and just recieved a MD20 DRUM from mississippi auto arms on top of the 2nd run drum that I ordered from you. (couldnt wait) In the owners manuel and imfo on the website it mentions a new updated spring will be supplied, Do the 1st run units that come from mississippi auto arms have the updated spring or are they going to forward them to there customers. I'm thinking there could be a gap here.

• 1 month later...
And of course the two types of ammo that I can shoot for free are Slugger 1oz and Federal LE Tactical Flite Control! :ded:

It won't be long and I'll have the fix in place. Not a new spring. You will be able to fire the sluggers no problem! Also the only flight control rounds it has trouble with is the full power 1325 fps. The low recoil flight control functions fine. But the full power will be good to go as well. With the fix you can even fire the Winchester Turkey loads without a problem and they are way more potent than either of the above (in terms of the action cycle speed).

So, just to clarify, if I got the last of the first runs, the ones that shipped around the last week of November, do I have the new spring installed. or the drum mold modification that makes the new spring unnecessary? Haven't had any problems with the drum, except a few FTE with the winchester universal, but I know that doesn't have anything to do with the drum itself.

And of course the two types of ammo that I can shoot for free are Slugger 1oz and Federal LE Tactical Flite Control! :ded:

It won't be long and I'll have the fix in place. Not a new spring. You will be able to fire the sluggers no problem! Also the only flight control rounds it has trouble with is the full power 1325 fps. The low recoil flight control functions fine. But the full power will be good to go as well. With the fix you can even fire the Winchester Turkey loads without a problem and they are way more potent than either of the above (in terms of the action cycle speed).

I might have missed it, but have you revealed the new fix yet?

Bueller..........Bueller............

:haha:

Edited by Monk
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike I'm new to the forum as well as a new Saiga owner, I have read alot of the posts and realize you check this less than e-mail. My question is are all the second run Drums spoken for if not when is the expected ship date? I only ask to budget fo rthe purchase I will purchase as many as I can depending on how long I have to save for the second half. Thanks in advance and for the video of the lrbho and extended mag release video as well as the other videos you have posted.

P.S. will Gen 2 accept 3" shells?

Edited by Williespeed

Hi Mike I'm new to the forum as well as a new Saiga owner, I have read alot of the posts and realize you check this less than e-mail. My question is are all the second run Drums spoken for if not when is the expected ship date? I only ask to budget fo rthe purchase I will purchase as many as I can depending on how long I have to save for the second half. Thanks in advance and for the video of the lrbho and extended mag release video as well as the other videos you have posted.

P.S. will Gen 2 accept 3" shells?

http://www.mdarms.com/Scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=1714

check out this website to order i believe there are 97 still availible. shipping date is january 2, 2009

Edited by rebeljdog